Deep Space Nine Relaunch

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Deep Space Nine Relaunch

Post by Mikey »

How is it irrelevant? The latest discussion was one of Kira's ability to command vs. Ezri's. The background of both women is supremely relevant to that conversation. Furthermore, your argument that Ezri simply requested a transfer and was plopped into an XO position only further illustrates the ridiculous nature of that instant promotion. The only thing similar of which I can think is my dad's cousin, who had a bit of money to his name - when WWI broke out, he was conscripted by Austria-Hungary, made some calls to some influential folks, and found himself drafted into the office of lieutenant. The analogy break down, though, because cousin Dunyu had to emigrate before he was prosecuted.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

My problem with the whole Ezri thing is this. As far as anyone knows, none of her previous hosts were Starship Captains, except Jadzia who was given a field commission as Commander of the Defiant for a couple of missions. She assumes command of the Defiant when DS9s XO is killed. Fine. She comes up with a brilliant tactical manuver. Great. She transferres to Command. No problem. But, she transfers to Command, AND gets her very first Command billet as the First Officer of the Defiant.

And as for Kira, she wasn't in Command of the Defiant during combat mission at first, AFAIK. That was Sisko, then Worfs job.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. Even with five years time, it's way too soon and way too sudden for Ezri to get it. Kirk was in command training in the Academy-Ezri wasn't.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mark wrote:And as for Kira, she wasn't in Command of the Defiant during combat mission at first, AFAIK. That was Sisko, then Worfs job.
Hey. The first time we see her access the Defiant's bridge while being remotely the ranking officer present, it gets stolen by Thomas Riker.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You can hardly argue she was in command, as the ship was docked at the station at the time.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:You can hardly argue she was in command, as the ship was docked at the station at the time.
It was still her desire to excite Riker's pants that led to the handing one of the most powerful starship in the quadrant over to the Maquis, something that could have very well provoked a war.

Imagine if Riker hadn't gone for the Orias System and simply had gone on a pure rampage of destruction. I doubt Dukat would have been happy with just Riker as a prisonner.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep. I fail to see how that incident somehow qualifies Ezri Dax, though.
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:Yep. I fail to see how that incident somehow qualifies Ezri Dax, though.
If Major Kira Nerys was deemed qualified ennough to be in command of the Defiant during various critical situations, including a fleet-wide engagement or when Klingons were threading around Bajoran Space, I don't see why Ezri wouldn't be allowed to try for XO after showing superior commandship skills in the face of danger.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yes. Solka, how does Kira unlocking the command codes of the Defiant while in dock and, in her mind, talking with a trusted officer, somehow qualify the neurotic Ezri for command?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yes. Solka, how does Kira unlocking the command codes of the Defiant while in dock and, in her mind, talking with a trusted officer, somehow qualify the neurotic Ezri for command?
You all seem to hammer that point like it was still relevant at the time of the event. She wasn't neurotic about her joining anymore. She proved to be an extremely viable and reliable asset in a time of crisis and she saved the station.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And she has zero command training, too. She was an ASSISTANT COUNCILOR! Deanna Troi could've ordered her around! :roll:

Five year's time is not enough for her to earn the Aventine, no matter what 'insight' she gained during battle.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Mark wrote:You can hardly argue she was in command, as the ship was docked at the station at the time.
It was still her desire to excite Riker's pants that led to the handing one of the most powerful starship in the quadrant over to the Maquis, something that could have very well provoked a war.

Imagine if Riker hadn't gone for the Orias System and simply had gone on a pure rampage of destruction. I doubt Dukat would have been happy with just Riker as a prisonner.

Huh??? Not sure how, where, and what this has to do with anything, but she was showing what she believed to be one of the most decorated officers in the fleet the courtasy of a tour of a ship that Will Riker would have had clearance to be on.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yes. Solka, how does Kira unlocking the command codes of the Defiant while in dock and, in her mind, talking with a trusted officer, somehow qualify the neurotic Ezri for command?
You all seem to hammer that point like it was still relevant at the time of the event. She wasn't neurotic about her joining anymore. She proved to be an extremely viable and reliable asset in a time of crisis and she saved the station.

One time, in a crisis, she came through. She had a brilliant idea, and it panned out. We've seen Data do the same thing on a regular basis, and wasn't ever made a ships XO for it.

Aside from her one minute of brilliance, what qualified her to serve as the first officer of a starship, and how was she prepaired to jump from Ltjg to Captain of the most powerful starship class of the time? Remember, this ship is supposed to be more powerful than the E-E.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Solka, the point is that her transfer to the command track may have been available. What beggars belief is that her first assignment after such a request was as an XO, with no prior command experience. Kira's failings at differentiating between identical people do not mitigate that fact.
as Bull offed Custer