Cool Pic

The Original Series
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Cool Pic

Post by Captain Seafort »

Indeed. *points to sig*
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Reliant121 wrote:Did I once claim Enterprise was killed entirely due to CGI?

I made a comment about my preference. Enterprise had a whole host of other reasons that I really haven't the time or patience to get into, besides Tyyr has already done it to great effect.
My bad :poke:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Personally the quality of the effects neither makes nor breaks a series for me.

I was always impressed by the FX in Enterprise, it was routinely better than any of the other Trek shows. I especially liked that it got to a point where they could ditch the stock footage for a multi-episode run and have the ship with long term apparent damage. Very nice.

But for me FX generally falls into two categories. "Good enough" and "not good enough". For example, Babylon 5's early CGI footage wasn't great... and their CGI sets and planet landscapes pretty much always sucked, even into season 5. But it was always good enough, largely because I was interested enough in what was going on in terms of how it affected the story, the characters, etc. Hell, I grew up on the likes of Doctor Who and Blake's 7, and you haven't seen cheap FX until you've seen those. Hell, half the scenes of the Liberator flying by were very clearly a drawing of the ship being pulled across a black background! But again, the story pulled it though (sometimes!)

In the SW prequels, I was so damn bored by the story that even the cutting edge FX wasn't enough to sustain my interest. Give me twice the integrity and half the budget any day.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Personally the quality of the effects neither makes nor breaks a series for me.

I was always impressed by the FX in Enterprise, it was routinely better than any of the other Trek shows. I especially liked that it got to a point where they could ditch the stock footage for a multi-episode run and have the ship with long term apparent damage. Very nice.

But for me FX generally falls into two categories. "Good enough" and "not good enough". For example, Babylon 5's early CGI footage wasn't great... and their CGI sets and planet landscapes pretty much always sucked, even into season 5. But it was always good enough, largely because I was interested enough in what was going on in terms of how it affected the story, the characters, etc. Hell, I grew up on the likes of Doctor Who and Blake's 7, and you haven't seen cheap FX until you've seen those. Hell, half the scenes of the Liberator flying by were very clearly a drawing of the ship being pulled across a black background! But again, the story pulled it though (sometimes!)

In the SW prequels, I was so damn bored by the story that even the cutting edge FX wasn't enough to sustain my interest. Give me twice the integrity and half the budget any day.
Have to agree. Blake's 7 had special effects that TOS would have been ashamed off. Less realistic computers too :) It was all about the characters, and the story.

My fave Blake's 7 'special effect' was the Android in Project Avalon. The evil Federation created an android replica of a top Rebel. For reasons unknown, the producers thought it would be a good idea to show the inner workings of the Android, even though it was a replica droid and sideview of the actor would have sufficed :-

More over, they decided to throw in the accompanying line "This is the best robotic engineering I've ever seen.

But anyways, I too prefer real life models and actors over CGI, I think they stand the test of time better. However, certain things can only practically be done with CGI.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good call, GK. I remember the original Cybermen, complete with silver-painted earmuffs, and "laser" which shot from K-9's nose - but the laughable quality of those effects had literally zero impact on the quality of the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm inclined to agree with Graham here. Good CGI should be treated as little more than a bonus. If something looks spectacular, yet has a shit story, it's still a terrible movie. If something has shit CGI yet a great story, it's a damn good movie.

ENT's effects shots were easily above any of the other shows. Yet that didn't save it. It gave us some nice battle scenes, but that's just not enough.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The Transformers movies are other examples of where CGI is the only really practical way of characterization in a movie. Sure, they did build life-sized models of some of the characters, but when they transformed or were in battle, the only way was CGI. And I do agree with GK. When it comes to actual people, backdrops, locations, and props, realistic is much better, perhaps using CGI for enhancements. Using CGI on everything can be poo-poo.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The next of their cool pics relating to Star Trek, this one from ST II.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"Mister Montalbam? You seem to have a... thing... here..."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The latest from the same source. Gotta love this one...

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I always wondered were the starfleet symbol he wears around his neck comes from inuniverse. They salvaged uniforms but why would he wear a starfleet arrow around his neck?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And another one...

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That would make a great caption comp pic, Graham :P
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

"Damn it Bill, go that way!"

:lol:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"Cut, cut! Shatner's ego just eclipsed the sun. Reset!"