Antimatter pod invented

SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Antimatter pod invented

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Can somebody tell me what happens when Antimatter is created? I mean, what is the actual process done? Energy is focused how? It "materialise"?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Same way normal matter is created, I believe.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Nickswitz wrote:Same way normal matter is created, I believe.
Actually, they are both created at the same time (methink).

The thing is, I have no idea how.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

We do know how, at least the theory for it. It's to do with zero point energy. Basically, pairs of matter/antimatter particles spontaneously appear in a vacuum all the time. Usually they annihilate each other pretty quickly, however, if you apply a large magnetic field to the vacuum they move off in opposite directions. Given a strong enough field the particles separate fast enough that they don't get a chance to annihilate each other. In this way you end up with one antimatter particle and one matter one also.
email, ergo spam
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:Interesting idea which immediately begs the question of why wouldn't it be stable given that it's a mirror image of regular matter.
Wild baseless guessing here, but maybe it has something to do with the way the four forces interact with the stuff?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

IanKennedy wrote:We do know how, at least the theory for it. It's to do with zero point energy. Basically, pairs of matter/antimatter particles spontaneously appear in a vacuum all the time. Usually they annihilate each other pretty quickly, however, if you apply a large magnetic field to the vacuum they move off in opposite directions. Given a strong enough field the particles separate fast enough that they don't get a chance to annihilate each other. In this way you end up with one antimatter particle and one matter one also.

How appropriate that the explination came from the man with Spock as his AV. :P
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Mark wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:We do know how, at least the theory for it. It's to do with zero point energy. Basically, pairs of matter/antimatter particles spontaneously appear in a vacuum all the time. Usually they annihilate each other pretty quickly, however, if you apply a large magnetic field to the vacuum they move off in opposite directions. Given a strong enough field the particles separate fast enough that they don't get a chance to annihilate each other. In this way you end up with one antimatter particle and one matter one also.

Agreed, this is an interesting article, can't wait for the photon torps :angel1:
Genius insania et conseri manum
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Foxfyre wrote:
Mark wrote:

Agreed, this is an interesting article, can't wait for the photon torps :angel1:
Not so sure. Nuke-scale explosives without the radiation drawbacks? With no way to identify the origin of the bomb's fuel, like you might with atomic nukes?

Like I said, I am not so sure we wanna see AM-ICBM.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given our current refining abilities no one would be able to afford to actually launch the thing. They'd be firing a century's worth of their GDP away in a single shot.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:Given our current refining abilities no one would be able to afford to actually launch the thing. They'd be firing a century's worth of their GDP away in a single shot.
If you accept the theory that political leaders are compensating for something with their weapons, I think what you just wrote isn't entirely out of character for them. :poke:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Generally, I'd say they're "compensating" for the fact that most people don't want to fight wars with bare-knuckle combat.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939