4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Caprica Has Been Cancelled

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Syfy axes Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica
Wednesday - October 27, 2010

Category: GENERAL | Tags: Battlestar Galactica

by Darren Sumner

Syfy Channel has dropped the axe on Caprica, the prequel drama series it once hoped would carry the mantle of its critically acclaimed Battlestar Galactica franchise, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for Caprica and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series," Syfy programming head Mark Stern said. "Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season."

The news comes on the heels of Syfy's announcement that it has greenlit a 2-hour backdoor pilot for a third Battlestar series, Blood and Chrome (story).

The show has struggled on Tuesday nights since returning with the second half of its first season four weeks ago, with ratings starting at just 889,000 viewers and falling to 718,000 a week ago. Caprica has been following Stargate Universe in the 10 p.m. time slot.

SGU has also had a tough time in the ratings on Tuesdays, but is still drawing significantly higher numbers than the BSG spin-off. News on its renewal isn't likely to come before December or January.

As of press time, Syfy had not yet updated its schedule or announced Stargate's new lead-out show.

The network had originally intended to wait until January to bring back the show, but moved up the mid-season premiere to October. Together with SGU, the show represented Syfy's first attempt to extend its original dramatic programming into the Tuesday night during the competitive fall season.

The final five episodes of Caprica will be yanked off of Tuesday nights effective immediately, and rescheduled for sometime early in 2011.
That's a pity. It wasn't a great show, no doubt about it, but it managed to keep me interested. I also liked the look we got at life on the Colonies.

I wonder will this make people think twice about that new show that they're planning to make.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Caprica Has Been Cancelled

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd think if anything this will be a boost for Blood and Chrome, as they won't have to worry about splitting the BSG fan audience between the two shows.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ah bugger. I liked Caprica.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So did I. I wonder how, or if, they're going to wrap up the plot.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

From the way it sounds I get the impression the final episodes are already in the can.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It was ok, but it really didn't contribute much to the whole BSG mythos aside from the creation of THIS version of the Cylons.

I'd have much rather seen a show during the war to begin with.........OR the FOUNDING of the colonies with all different baddies.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ah, this is bullshit...
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu