Horizon Class Starship

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Horizon Class Starship

Post by DBS »

This is another design I came up with (hit me after the contest was over :( )

Since it could no longer be the Luna class I decided to call it the Horizon class in keeping with the fanfic I designed her for. However, for our purposes here, she could be considered a true "Luna Class Reject..." I'll follow her with a write-up, as usual.

If anyone has an idea of what I could use the Horizon for other than a Luna attempt, let me know with ideas. Honestly, looking at the "real" Luna class, I think that she could honestly be a follow-on to the Luna class. :)

Thoughts?
Last edited by DBS on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Classification: Long-Range Explorer
Commissioned: 2382 - present
Unit Run: 15 vessels ordered, first batch under construction
(2382-2387), second batch orders pending
Production: 3 completed per year, two year construction period for each
vessel.

U.S.S. Horizon* NX-83000
U.S.S. Venturer NCC-83009
U.S.S. Resolution NCC-83016
U.S.S. Cook NCC-83132
U.S.S. Asimov NCC-83140
U.S.S. Clarke NCC-83200
U.S.S. Chekhov NCC-83206
U.S.S. Forrest NCC-83521
U.S.S. Archer NCC-83523
U.S.S. Magellan NCC-83534
U.S.S. Columbia NCC-83591
U.S.S. Discovery NCC-83621
U.S.S. Atlantis NCC-83625
U.S.S. Solaris NCC-83636
U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-2000-A

*Prototype re-commissioned as U.S.S. Horizon; NCC-75026-A

Length: 481 meters Beam: 204 meters
Height: 90 meters
Mass: 1,890,000 metric tons
Decks: 16
Personnel: 362 (112 officers, 250 enlisted)
Passenger/family accommodations: 180
Emergency Evacuation Limit: 1,850
Cruise Velocity: warp 9.4
Maximum Cruise Velocity: warp 9.9
Emergency Velocity: warp 9.99 for 36 hours
Range: 16,000 L.Y. Mission Duration: 6 years
Refit Schedule:
6 years - minor
18 years - major
Expected Hull Life: 90 years
Shield Output: 4,150,000 TJ
Phasers: 3 Type X arrays; 4 Type VIII arrays
Torpedo System: 2 Pulse-fire Photon Torpedo launchers
2 Standard Photon Torpedo launchers
250 casings, 150 probe casings
(Interchangeable system with quantum torpedoes)

------------------------------------------------------

Originally intended to incorporate technology from existing ships, the Horizon class' Sovereign-inspired spaceframe was ultimately able to install sensor and computer systems that were top-of-the-line, and her sensor capacities are significantly greater than either the existing Galaxy or Intrepid classes on which the sensor suite was based. Likewise, the science laboratories are top-of-the-line, as are diplomatic and crew accommodations. In keeping with the tradition of the Luna class, it is the intention of the designers that Horizon and her sister ships are fully capable of supporting any life form imaginable.

As mentioned before, the technology needed to create Sovereign standard tactical systems was not be utilized at the time of development, so the first batch of starships is equipped with various existing weapons and defense systems. The space freed up by the advanced computer and sensor systems allowed the installation of a higher grade of shields than a vessel of her size could normally expect. This gives the Horizon an appreciable ability to defend herself (and escape from overwhelming situations) if needed, a very important attribute in unknown space, as demonstrated by the experiences of the Luna class.

Thus appointed, the U.S.S. Horizon (NCC-75026-A) was launched in mid 2382, only a few months behind the original schedule. The Horizon completed space-worthiness trials with flying colors, and has since embarked on her first mission of exploration beyond the established borders of the Federation. The other fourteen vessels of the class are expected to be completed by 2377, at a rate of three per year. The Horizon class is expected to supplement the Luna class at the forefront of exploration for decades to come.
This was just the basic idea. Again, that is my hypothetical situation for it. The history is not terribly great, so the stats are more important.

the write-up follows here...

Basically, I ran the stats you see below through the DITL calculator! I had to fudge a little (there isn't a "pulse fire photon torpedo" setting, so I used the Type 1 Burst fire instead - basically the same rate of fire, only photons.) I also tried to calculate the power of an individual type X and type VIII phaser array, and put them together in the number described.

Without further ado, here is the DITL rating for the Horizon based on the specifications that follow...

Beam Weapon Output: 15575 TW
Torpedoes: 2 x "Type 1 Burst Fire Torpedo Tube"*, 2 x standard photon torpedo tubes.
Defense: Auto-modulated shield system, total capacity 4,150,000 TJ, Standard Duranium/Tritanium single hull, 10cm high-density armour, standard level SIF.
Maximum Warp Factor: 9.99 (36 hours)

And the strength indices:

Beam firepower - 312
Torpedo firepower - 950
Weapon range and accuracy - 1400
Shield strength - 1537
Hull/armour - 1050
Speed - 4125
Combat maneuverability - 4000

Overall strength index - 1172

A fairly defensively oriented ship, which I think is ideal for the kinds of engagements an explorer would face (small skirmishes, evading threats, and escaping dangerous opponents).
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like this ship has a small warship look about it which is what Star Trek seems to be going for lately.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

That's the thing, though. I'd rather it look more modern without appearing to be a warship. It's not. Think of it as being complementary to the Luna class (the design was originally meant to be a submission, only I came up with it too late...and it was too big.)

My thoughts were that the Luna class has been a great investment, but there need to be more ships performing that exploration mission, so the Horizon class was fielded to complement it.

Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

She's a fine vessel allright, but >2280 is grounds for instafail
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

The only problem I have is that she has Type X phaser arrays, the same on a Galaxy class starship. How is her weapons range and accuracy 140% that of a Galaxy when her most powerful weapons are the same? Her torp armament is inferior to the Galaxy class as well, there's no way a Type 1 burst fire tube should be longer ranged or more accurate than a Type 3. That said, range and accuracy of a torp depends on the torp being fired, not the launcher.

I'd also like to see some specs for the engine/warp core, since only the Sovereign (IIRC) can sustain warp 9.99 for 36 hours and such a small ship couldn't possibly mount as big a warp core or carry as much antimatter fuel as a Sovereign.

I have used DITL specs for the Galaxy in this post.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I believe weapons accuracy is determined by the targeting computer not the type of weapon. Thus it stands to reason that more modern ships have better stats.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

The weapon fired still has a role to play in accuracy. If you took a musket from the American Revolution and a M16 from today, hooked them both up to a targeting computer somehow, the musket would still be way inaccurate compared to the M16 at the same ranges.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Remember that the DITL calculator depends on the rate of fire and not any other factor. To the system, a torpedo is a torpedo. For example, at the time of the show, Voyager had basic launchers, but had the most advanced photon torpedoes.

I was intending that the targeting computer and sensors would be the deciding factor of the weapon range and accuracy, so that's where I got the idea from. (Basically I assumed a Sovereign-type computer system, so I borrowed many of the non-weapon stats from there. Same targeting system (operating fewer weapons, by the way), same accuracy.)

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I Am Spartacus wrote:The weapon fired still has a role to play in accuracy. If you took a musket from the American Revolution and a M16 from today, hooked them both up to a targeting computer somehow, the musket would still be way inaccurate compared to the M16 at the same ranges.
But an M16 equipped with iron sights would be less accurate than an M16 with an ACOG.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm pretty sur ethe difference between a type V phaser and a type XII phaser is power. What it hits depends on the targeting computer. Torpedoes is probably a bit of both.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Beautiful ship, I like the basic premise.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

Wow. Looks compact and powerful. Although many shapes are familiar, it is much more than just a Miranda-ized Sovereign kitbash.