Suggested Rules Modification

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Suggested Rules Modification

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How about 2.5 times the cost for half the time?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

idk if that will work, my view on the thing is this:

if it's under 3 years then most of that time is just getting the materials together and simply putting it all together into one cohesive whole.

Anything over 10 years and there must be a process your going through to get it, some kind of research or advanced development technology that will take a while to get regardless of how much you throw at it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Just throwing this out there.

What about recouping a portion of the resources that went into constructing a ship? Ships require raw materials that you have to mine, but scrapped ships are already large stationary sources of already refined materials. I'm not suggesting that we get everything back but maybe even just getting back 1/3 of the materials. 300 points of raw materials on a 900kt ship for instance.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:idk if that will work, my view on the thing is this:

if it's under 3 years then most of that time is just getting the materials together and simply putting it all together into one cohesive whole.

Anything over 10 years and there must be a process your going through to get it, some kind of research or advanced development technology that will take a while to get regardless of how much you throw at it.
I like you're suggestion Tyyr.

As for Tsu's suggestion, I'd think that it would be better add a turn by turn cost. You spend say original cost to create the design, then you pay 20% of the cost per year at half the time to create the ship.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

If we were to allow this the rule would work something like this.

For extra expense you can speed up R&D. Pay me double and I will cut the time by 50% or so. BUT that cut comes from taking a few shortcuts in testing. So there is going to be a chance that the thing just flat ends up not working.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hence the Excelsior...."the Great Experiment" :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I have a new suggestion: a modification to the field improvements.

Basically, I think they should be able to improve up to level 15 (75% improvement/reduction), but with double the normal cost past level 10. These would represent major technological breakthroughs, and enable a "next gen" of designs or production without having to do decades of work.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Such as the slipstream drive or transphasic torps or the like?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Such as the slipstream drive or transphasic torps or the like?
Something like that, yeah. Starfleet apparently developed the Transphasics and uber-armor in a 20-year time frame, even though both seem to be seriously advanced tech.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It depends on how it would be structured. I know for slipstream tech, don't ask how, that it runs in a different system for RnD than a normal special weapons tech. Basically you spend a huge tonne of money on a 20 research project with low chance of success, and high chance of catastrophic failure at the end. Each successive 20 years development (each at equally high cost as the first) will have improved chances. There is a minute chance that the first time will succeed. But its very very very unlikely. It could take anything from those 20 years to 200 years.

I think. i might have details a little off, I'm conducting that from memory.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Got to thinking on the subject of starbase upgrades, which Tsuki brough up like 3 months ago and I got busy, and I thought the simplest way to do things would be this.

This site has a list of all the weapons systems for a starbase. I say when you develop a new phaser or disruptor or a new torpedo weapon you just make those changes and figure the new firepower. Then you pay half the cost of a new starbase to deploy your upgrade.

So if you have a type 74 with 2,000 arrays on it then it upgrades to 2,000 of whatever your best arrays are.

It seems simple and would help keep starbases relevant rather than the left behinds they are now.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

that could work well, or we could fall back on the special R&D device for starbases we tossed around a month or so ago (before we got super busy again)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:that could work well, or we could fall back on the special R&D device for starbases we tossed around a month or so ago (before we got super busy again)
I think it is just simpler to charge a fee and upgrade the base. Most have on-site facilties to do the work and there is really no R&D invovled. You ahve all the space you could ever need for whatever you want to bolt onto the thing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sounds great. So, we'd just send the specs to the GM, right?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sounds great. So, we'd just send the specs to the GM, right?
Pretty much, you might run into trouble with the torpedo launchers. I can hand figure that if I have to but the most the calculator will take is 99 in all 3 slots so if your rate of fire is more than 1,188 quantum torpedoes per second for the whole thing it won't work.

I will just charge it when I roll things over each year.