I got a new, used computer and been having problems

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I got a new, used computer and been having problems

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

First I thought it was a Usrclass.dat problem, but after dad fixed that and deleted the old account, the error keeps persisting. I also thought it was a video card era, but I got a new video card with new drivers in. The problem is that the monitor-but not the computer, shuts off on its own and I have to restart. So any ideas, guys?
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: I got a new, used computer and been having problems

Post by USSEnterprise »

Have you tried a different monitor? The only other thing I could think of would be a driver confliction somewhere... What video cards did you use? If you went from Nvidia to AMD there can be driver problems if there are any remnants of the previous drivers remain.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I have a Matrox Millennium 6400 video card, and I installed the new drivers on today.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sometimes the monitor shuts off on its own like it's entering hybernation, sometimes the computer just restarts on its own, and sometimes the computer freezes and requires a restart. Any help guys?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That sounds like a virus that corrupts drivers of some sort, or at least mangled them in some way. Oritmay just be bad parts. Butif it's randomly shutting down I would suggest that you run some sort of virus scanner on it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I've already did a virus scan and nothing was found.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Do you have a large enough (and still in good working order) PSU?

I remember when our old PSU was going, the MB wasn't getting enough power for all the ports in the back, some things would randomly stop working.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Is this a windows machine. If so has the disk been switched from another machine. If so you are probably going to have to completely reinstall windows from scratch. Windows is so fickle these days that you cannot simply switch an OS drive from one machine to another. I tried for many hours to do this with two DELL GX750s. I failed completely. Variations in the underlying hardware meant that I needed to do a complete reinstall. The symptoms where exactly as you describe, random shutdowns or reboots of the machine with no rhyme or reason for them.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, or since it's an old one the PSU may be going as well, it may meet the power requirements but just be too old. In which case it would need to be replaced.
IanKennedy wrote:Is this a windows machine. If so has the disk been switched from another machine. If so you are probably going to have to completely reinstall windows from scratch. Windows is so fickle these days that you cannot simply switch an OS drive from one machine to another. I tried for many hours to do this with two DELL GX750s. I failed completely. Variations in the underlying hardware meant that I needed to do a complete reinstall. The symptoms where exactly as you describe, random shutdowns or reboots of the machine with no rhyme or reason for them.
Not true, ours we switched it out and it worked from scratch. Depending on the company mostly, Dells are such pieces of crap they don't work to begin with, let alone work after the fact.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, or since it's an old one the PSU may be going as well, it may meet the power requirements but just be too old. In which case it would need to be replaced.
IanKennedy wrote:Is this a windows machine. If so has the disk been switched from another machine. If so you are probably going to have to completely reinstall windows from scratch. Windows is so fickle these days that you cannot simply switch an OS drive from one machine to another. I tried for many hours to do this with two DELL GX750s. I failed completely. Variations in the underlying hardware meant that I needed to do a complete reinstall. The symptoms where exactly as you describe, random shutdowns or reboots of the machine with no rhyme or reason for them.
Not true, ours we switched it out and it worked from scratch. Depending on the company mostly, Dells are such pieces of crap they don't work to begin with, let alone work after the fact.
Then you are lucky. MS web site specifically states you cannot do this unless both machines are running very similar hardware.
email, ergo spam
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My computer isn't a Dell. Its an:

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+
2.00 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

If possible I'd try a different monitor, to see if its that or the PC.

We swap harddrives around in machines all the time at work, but only if its the exact same model machine.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm on a new monitor right now, yet the problem happened with it.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

2.00 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
That makes no sense...

DDR Ram runs at about 267 to 400, DDR2 at 400 to 1066 and DDR3 at 1066 to 1600 at stock. (MHz)

Unless your talking about video ram...

Anyway,
Sounds like a driver or PSU problem...hmmm. Has the system ever been overclocked?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty sure he's talking about his processor there.