Duke Nukem Forever... Finally.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Duke Nukem Forever... Finally.

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Babes, bullets, bombs! Duke Nukem is making a comeback

2K Games/Gearbox Software

After more than a decade of delays, "Duke Nukem Forever" will launch for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC game machines. 2K Games and Gearbox Software say it will arrive in stores in 2011 ... for sure this time.

By Winda Benedetti

Just as Duke Nukem - the one-time king of shooting games - seemed destined for permanent retirement if not the warm embrace of death itself, Gearbox Software and 2K Games surprised the gaming world Friday by announcing that the action hero and icon will soon wield his over-the-top guns and attitude yet again.

After more than a decade of delays, "Duke Nukem Forever" will debut on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC game systems in 2011.

And just to prove the news is for real, publisher 2K made playable demos of the game available to video game fans at the Penny Arcade Expo Friday.

"Duke Nukem Forever" was first announced more than a decade ago - in 1997. But Gearbox and 2K confirmed rumors of the franchise's return Friday morning as the annual expo was opening its doors to thousands of video game fans. As news spread, gamers formed massive lines around an enormous booth hung with pictures of the Duke

"All great things take time a lot of time," Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K, said in a statement. "After a hiatus from the video game world, Duke Nukem is back and better than ever. The return of the King from the glory days of shooters will satisfy our patient, die-hard fans, as well as a new generation of bubble gum-chewing, flat top and shades-wearing bad-asses."

Duke Nukem got his start way back in 1991 as the star of an MS-DOS platforming shooter game by the same name. He rapidly gained fame (and infamy) with "Duke Nukem II" in 1993 and "Duke Nukem 3D" in 1996 and a variety of spinoffs titles after that. The mouthy, macho (some might even say sexist) Duke became an iconic gaming figure thanks in part to his penchant for colorful/off-color lines like: "My boot, your face; the perfect couple," and " Your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker," and, of course, "Babes, bullets, bombs. Damn - I love this job!"

After being announced in 1997, "Duke Nukem Forever" (a sequel to "Duke Nukem 3D") had seemed to languish in a never-ending development cycle at 3D Realms (the franchise's creator). When 3D Realms closed up shop in 2009, many wondered whether the world would ever see the Duke's enormous biceps again. Adding to the complications, publisher Take-Two Interactive ended up suing the developer for its continued delays in delivering the game. The case was settled this May and "Duke Nukem Forever" has now been given a new life at Gearbox Software (the development company behind the excellent game "Borderlands").

So why all the delays on 3D Realms' part? Scott Miller, then owner and CEO of 3D Realms, told the Wall Street Journal, "We were probably too much of a perfectionist about the game. When some other game had some great feature come out we wanted to match it." And he added, "We'd been distracted on other games like 'Prey.' It was a combination of those things. We were trying to build a game that was too great."

The new Duke promises to be as raucous and raunchy as ever with the 2K and Gearbox news release describing the long-awaited sequel thusly:

Pig cops, alien shrink rays and enormous alien bosses won't stop our hero from accomplishing his one and only goal: to save the world, save the babes and to be a bad-ass while doing it. The King of All Shooters is back with over-the-top weapons, massive aliens and unprecedented levels of interactivity. This game puts pedal to the metal and tongue firmly in cheek, among other places. Shoot hoops, lift weights, read adult magazines, draw crude messages on whiteboards or ogle one of the many beautiful women that populate Duke's life; that is if you can pull yourself away long enough from kicking ass and taking names

As the Duke himself would say, "Hail to the king, baby!"

Source

Nice. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... Finally.

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll probably get it just out of sheer curiosity to see if they've actually managed to salvage a decent game from this 13 year long debacle.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I'll probably get it just out of sheer curiosity to see if they've actually managed to salvage a decent game from this 13 year long debacle.
I think that's going to be 90% of their sales.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The Duke series was okay, a bit of fun, but I got bored of it pretty fast. I suppose if I ever re-open my gamefly account I'll toss this one on it just to see.