Star trek invented the iPad?

The Original Series
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Star trek invented the iPad?

Post by Reliant121 »

Mice? thats the most ridiculous device ever?

"Uh...just use the mouse?"

"Oh right. Hello computer!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:He put it in his "favourites". I can call up this websites and all of my favourites in 2 mouse clicks, you know.

:poke:
Yeah, he has his "favorites," saved on one of the ship's random shuttles and one of screens he keeps dedicated to his music collection so he can call it all up at will.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:He put it in his "favourites". I can call up this websites and all of my favourites in 2 mouse clicks, you know.

:poke:
Yeah, he has his "favorites," saved on one of the ship's random shuttles and one of screens he keeps dedicated to his music collection so he can call it all up at will.
Yup. Since he knew he'd face Data, he already had planned such strategy, and was ready to call it up as needed.

:apc:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm instead of you being a complete dumbass.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:I'm going to assume this is sarcasm instead of you being a complete dumbass.
Right.

Rather than being an offensive jerk who throws insults, can you at the very least say what problem do you have with my interpretation of the facts seen on screen?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

As to the insults, this is DITL.

No rule against throwing insults in the argument.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Reliant121 wrote:As to the insults, this is DITL.

No rule against throwing insults in the argument.
I understand the insult.

But his argument technically summed up to: "You are wrong, because you are stupid".

I mean, his argument WAS the insult? Does that counts?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Still no rule against it as far as I know.

At least, he was actually fairly mild by some standards. When you get into a debate with most of our heavy hitters (Tyyr, Cpt. Seafort, Deep) you have to expect it.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Rather than being an offensive jerk who throws insults,
Awww, aren't you cute. Would you like me to lasso you the moon while we're talking about shit that's never going to happen? I've said it before to people, I'll stop being an asshole when you stop being an idiot.
can you at the very least say what problem do you have with my interpretation of the facts seen on screen?
Ok, lets review. Emergency situation. Data has lost his shit. Picard decides to deal with this himself, rather stupid to begin with, and takes chase. There is absolutely no evidence at all that the HMS Pinafore thing was thought out ahead of time. The visuals indicate that Picard thought this up on the fly. Being that he came up with this on the fly that means he probably didn't prep for it.

I have an MP3 player. Assuming that I have it already on the MP3 functionality and not pictures, radio, or video, I still need two clicks to start a song playing. One to bring up the playlist and another to start a song. I don't see how you can possibly improve on that in a menu system. Two clicks. That is all Picard used. For the moment we'll go with your supposition and assume no mind reading. That means that in order for Picard to have done this he had to use one of the shuttle's displays for his music collection. Now this is a rescue mission to stop Data from fucking up some primitives and this is Picard the guy who will gleefully let a species die on the alter of the PD so it's safe to say he takes this seriously. In this serious emergency situation he's decided to have one of the shuttles displays be taken up by his MP3 player. This wasn't some tiny console in the back or in a hard to reach place it was one of the main ones front and center. The kind on modern aircraft that's reserved for important shit both pilots need. You're honestly suggesting that they decided to burn a display on his MP3 collection?

LCARs is a clusterfuck. It just is. Any close ups of an LCARs display gives no clue how any of it could possibly work and the same commands are often entered in completely different ways. The only way you can make it work is if you combine the computer's mind reading ability, remember they keep track of everyone's brainwaves on the ship 24/7 with context sensitive menus. If you do that then Picard's ability to bring up the music makes some actual sense. The shuttle was able to interpret what he was thinking and had the music player up and ready to go while downloading his favorite music. That way it's up and ready to go. If you want it to work without the mind reading there should have been more clicks. At least 4, maybe 5. Back to Main Menu -> Entertainment -> Music -> Play list -> HMS Pinafore which assumes the computer is smart enough to recognize who's using it.

Two clicks either indicates that Picard took the time to set up one important flight console with his music just in case he wanted to listen to something, remember there was no music before he started up HMS Pinafore. Or the computer was doing some weird futuristic mind reading shit. I'd generally like to assume Picard was a tad more professional and not incompetent.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:But his argument technically summed up to: "You are wrong, because you are stupid".
Essentially yes. I chose not to go into detail as to why you were an idiot at first because it's pretty fucking obvious as to why but apparently you need your hand held.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Reliant wrote:At least, he was actually fairly mild by some standards. When you get into a debate with most of our heavy hitters (Tyyr, Cpt. Seafort, Deep) you have to expect it.
I already said the same thing to Deepcrush: Just because your environment makes it casual to throw insults and offensive comments around doesn't make it right. And just because the rules says nothing is against doesn't make it right too. Being insulting makes any kind of argument personnal and detrimental to the conservation, since you are attacking the arguer, not the argument. Why? Because the insutled parties start sticking to their side of the issue at all cost, regardless of wether they are right or not, just for the principle of things. Therefore, removing any point of the argument, where you are trying to convince the other party.

I already lost my temper once on this website because of such attitude, and I don't want to be drawn again into another useless fece-throwing.
Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Rather than being an offensive jerk who throws insults,
Awww, aren't you cute. Would you like me to lasso you the moon while we're talking about s**t that's never going to happen? I've said it before to people, I'll stop being an asshole when you stop being an idiot.
Be abusive as much as you want, it doesn't make you right. I ain't wrong just because you throw an insult at me, and you aren't proven right just because I refuse to participate in further insults.
Ok, lets review. Emergency situation. Data has lost his s**t. Picard decides to deal with this himself, rather stupid to begin with, and takes chase. There is absolutely no evidence at all that the HMS Pinafore thing was thought out ahead of time. The visuals indicate that Picard thought this up on the fly. Being that he came up with this on the fly that means he probably didn't prep for it.
- Emergy situation. What does it have to do with the argument? Picard knew Data has gone berserk, and he had time to plan his strategy, very much in-character for Picard.
- It is not indicated that Picard improvised it either. Whatever "visuals" that you may perceived as "Picard thought it on the fly" is quite subjective, and can be interpreted in many ways. Maybe he had quite a good number of strategy in mind, and he set his mind on one at that very moment.
In this serious emergency situation he's decided to have one of the shuttles displays be taken up by his MP3 player. This wasn't some tiny console in the back or in a hard to reach place it was one of the main ones front and center. The kind on modern aircraft that's reserved for important s**t both pilots need. You're honestly suggesting that they decided to burn a display on his MP3 collection?

Blablabla

Two clicks either indicates that Picard took the time to set up one important flight console with his music just in case he wanted to listen to something, remember there was no music before he started up HMS Pinafore. Or the computer was doing some weird futuristic mind reading s**t. I'd generally like to assume Picard was a tad more professional and not incompetent.
Even on a modern computer, a work computer, or anything, you can easily set any interface to "with this click, play this music and make one of my screen go into Karaoke mode". It doesn't take that much time on our own computers, I don't see why the shuttle Picard decided to pick for his mission couldn't have been programmed like that.

The LCARS interface itself might be dubious, but I have no problem thinking that Starfleet officers are all trainer programmers who can redesign their interface based on their most common needs. Since they all know their own console set out personnally, for having programmed them, they all know intuitively how to use it. Hell, there is probably also "standardized" programming courses at the Academy to make sure that your officers keep the same basic design templates.

When an officer takes a console, you usually see him tap a few things immediately on the screen. Maybe they are calling up the interface they already pre-programmed? Would make sense, if you accept my interpretation.

But seriously, I think programming capacity is actually quite reasonable to assume on the parts of Starfleet Officers.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:But his argument technically summed up to: "You are wrong, because you are stupid".
Essentially yes. I chose not to go into detail as to why you were an idiot at first because it's pretty f***ing obvious as to why but apparently you need your hand held.
Well, your "obvious reasons" why I am stupid aren't so obvious at all, since I can actually argue about it, and make good points regarding them.

Just because you think you are right about an opinion you made beforehand doesn't make people stupid. Stay civil, keep your cool, and just tell me what you think I got wrong.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

All I'm saying is that, it may not be right, I may not agree with it but its tough shit. It happens, and there's not a damn thing you or I can do about it. I choose not to use it, and that's good enough for me.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Reliant121 wrote:All I'm saying is that, it may not be right, I may not agree with it but its tough s**t. It happens, and there's not a damn thing you or I can do about it. I choose not to use it, and that's good enough for me.
I know. There is only a handful of aggressive poster on this website, and it sometimes make very interesting topic devolve into flame wars, name-calling and insult fest where nobody actually care about the original line of conversation, as they are simply side-tracked into insulting each other over every single little points made in their posts.

I.. don't think it's a good thing. Therefore, I try to refuse to directly reply to insults and force the other side to actually make their argument clear, rather than simply "stating the obvious that you are stupid".

I hope that in a few years, I will have helped to make it so that there will be less flame war on this forum.

In the meanwhile, my head is gonna hurt a lot :bangwall:

:angel1:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If god exists, I hope he believes in hopeless causes :P