scandisk question

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

scandisk question

Post by stitch626 »

When I do scan disk for one of my partitioned drives, when it lists all the XXXXKB stuff, it also shows 32KB in bad sectors.

What does this mean? I had it happen before on an old machine (about 6 years ago) and it was the same thing (same drive letter too... G:). None of the programs installed there have had any problems, that I've noticed.

Any ideas.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: scandisk question

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Try a Defragment. Usually helps my computer run better; those bad sectors aren't going to get any better. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Honestly that few bad sectors means nothing, if it was a larger number then it would be a problem, but bad sectors are basically sectors that have been overwritten too much, which means that they can no longer used, basically 32kb of data are lost for good. And believe me, a defragment won't help his computer, it's defragmented daily.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:...it's defragmented daily.
Ow.

Try backing up your relevant data, then buying a new hard drive. :lol:

Trust me, I know. Easier said than done.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

32KB of bad data is hardly an inconvenience. even a gig isnt that much on MOST computers, but if it were something like 10gb then it would be time to either defrag, or in your case...do exactly as Tsu said, bite the bullet and get a new harddrive.

This is why my PC has two Terabyte harddrives. its just easier not worrying about it. One of them has windows and any games on, the other has stored data. I barely use more than 200gb anyway.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, it won't be getting worse any time soon, believe me, and this drive is a 500GB drive, it'll be fine.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeah, that should be more than enough.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Bad sectors are parts of the diskt that the coputer tried to write to and failed. If the number is small then that's fine. However, if it's an increasing number over time then it's a sign that the drive is failing. If it's in warrenty get it replaced. If no back it up and buy a new one, they're cheap enough these days.
email, ergo spam
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:...this drive is a 500GB drive...
You know, I've had nothing but bad luck with those; when my last one failed, I looked it up on the internet. Sure enough, lots of people had the same problem.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Really? I've had no problem with large drives? his computer has over 1.5 TB on it overall, with something around 4 hard drives I think.
The world ended

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:Really? I've had no problem with large drives? his computer has over 1.5 TB on it overall, with something around 4 hard drives I think.
I had two of the Seagate 500GB drives crap out on me; one only a few months after purchase.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ours are both 1Tb Medion drives. They've proved entirely reliable so far -smacks wood profusely-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

We use Western Digital, and none of our drives have died on us, ran out of space a few times, but never died on us. IDK if that's because of the care we take of them, or what, but as long as they keep working, Ill have no problem buying them again.
The world ended

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'm thinking I have a theory.

ON both computers (this one and our one 6 years ago), it occurred on our G: partition, which is for games. Perhaps its the result of one of our games we have that just happens to be programed badly.

Anyway, I'm not worried, as its only 32K (my desktop background takes more space :lol: ) and its been that way for 3 years.

And I do not defrag daily! I've been getting better about it! (Basically, my OCD manifests itself to my computer. I have everything categorized.)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

For non-server applications I do tend to stick to Western Digital. I've not had one fail on be yet. For server drives it's often a different story. Reliability isn't a major issue with server drives. You would think it would be but it isn't, because we tend to make a whole bunch of drives into a RAID set. If a drive fails in a RAID set the system keeps on going with no loss of data. Speed is major factor here, we use 15,000 RPM drives and SAS for connection with speeds of 6.0 Gbit/s plus you can use a quad channel card with a single cable to get 4 (24Gbit/s) times that throughput. Scary numbers. To compare that with typical desktop drives you get 5,400 or possibly 7,200 RPM and SATA (if you're lucky) which typically goes at 3.0 Gbit/s, although you can get 6.0 Gbit/s SATA they're not common and they don't come in multi channel.
email, ergo spam