Post by Deepcrush »

HA! I shit on your bill!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Is Ent a parallel universe?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, that's one way of solving problems with expenses....I guess.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Mikey wrote:
stitch626 wrote:While 7 did say they were involved, she didn't say how. Her statement does not preclude events occurring differently from FC originally if the time-travel thingy created the separate universe.
Good point - if she was referring to the Borg's initial arrival at Earth, and the point of divergence was after that, her statement can fit with the "ENT = alt timeline" hypothesis.
I don';t think so. Any divergance would have been at the point where the Borg appeared, creating a timeline that had the Borg in it and another timeline where there were no borg at all on earth.

And while yes, if Enterprise was in a different timeline to the rest of Trek, it may have happened at some point after that, but there just no evidenmce for it.

I mean, I might ask if TNG from season 3 on was in a different timeline to Season 2 and everything before. Nothing to say it is impossible, but no reason to think it.

In short, there is no evidence to suggest that enterprise is in a different timeline to the rest of trek. everything which has been posited as a point of divergance has been eliminated.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tiberius wrote:I don';t think so. Any divergance would have been at the point where the Borg appeared, creating a timeline that had the Borg in it and another timeline where there were no borg at all on earth.
Shenanigans. Every single instant in which the Borg were at Earth, a new alternate timeline would have been created. You can't say with any authority that alt-timeline "x" is the one which the film took, rather than alt-timeline "y" which diverged 32.8 seconds later.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Is it possible the point of divergence was when Cochrane publicized his account of cybernetic beings from the future? Perhaps in the "real" timeline he never told anybody, hence why know one knew anything about the Borg, but in the Enterprise timeline he mentions them in his commencement address to that university (or whatever it was) and despite the fact that he's generally laughed at for it, someone somewhere in the government/starship program elects to pay attention?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The divergence in question would have had to have occurred prior to that, in order to make Cochrane choose an alternate course of action.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hell the divergence could have happened in any number of time travel episodes. Hell, maybe Sisko "butterfly effected" creation while pretending to be Gabriel Bell.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:The divergence in question would have had to have occurred prior to that, in order to make Cochrane choose an alternate course of action.
But what if the divergence was that choice? I.E. He flipped a coin and in one timeline it came up heads so he decided to tell it and in the other it came up tales so he didn't?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Then the coin toss would be the divergence, or whatever caused the environmental factors which affected the toss.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or whatever first made him decide to base such a decision on a coin toss.

Really, we could keep this up for quite a while. We can generally agree that there was a point of divergence. We can probably also agree that it took place sometime after the arrival of the Borg. Whether it was one second after their arrival or one year is unknown.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

Mikey wrote:This still begs the question: how were the Borg encountered in ENT but unknown as of TNG?
For the same reason that the Enterprise-D apparently made "first contact" with the Borg in 2365 when Q sent the Enterprise into Borg space, yet Seven of Nine's family was searching for the Borg in 2357 (8 years before the Enterprise encountered the Borg). It's possible that when the Borg drones appeared in ENT, this is what created the "rumor" that Seven of Nine's family chased in 2357.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The Hansens could have as easily been chasing rumors gleaned from countless contemporary non-UFP species. And it's highly likely that they never had the chance to report their findings once they encountered the Borg; ergo, the Borg would still be unknown to the UFP. :o
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:The Hansens could have as easily been chasing rumors gleaned from countless contemporary non-UFP species. And it's highly likely that they never had the chance to report their findings once they encountered the Borg; ergo, the Borg would still be unknown to the UFP. :o
It doesn't explain how they had an accurate model of a Borg ship, but the E-D had no idea who they were in "Q Who?" While I can understand the crew not knowing, the distinct lack of information in the ship's computer is a lot more difficult to explain away.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why? If the Hansens were killed or assimilated upon contacting the Borg, how would they have disseminated any findings to the UFP?
as Bull offed Custer