Lucas Bans David Prowse (Darth Vader) From Conventions

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Lucas Bans David Prowse (Darth Vader) From Conventions

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The force is not with David Prowse.

The actor - known among Star Wars fans as the man who portrayed Darth Vader in the original trilogy - has been banned from attending official fan conventions and cast reunions after reportedly "annoying" director George Lucas.

While James Earl Jones is credited with supplying the Sith Lord's baritone voice, Prowse was the man behind the mask in the first three Star Wars movies.

According to his website, Prowse has been banned from "Lucas Film associated events," and that "After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have 'burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself' - no other reason given."

The ban appears to be the latest blow in a long-running feud between Lucas and Prowse. Prowse had been promised to be both seen and heard at the end of the trilogy when Vader's mask is removed, The Sun reports. However, Lucas used a different actor instead, upsetting Prowse.

In addition, the 75-year-old Prowse claims Lucas accused him of leaking Vader's death before the release of "Return of the Jedi." He also claims he did not receive his fair share of the box office revenue for the final film.

"Dave never received much money for his role and was always shoved to the side," a friend told The Sun. "He believes he's been an embarrassment or annoying to Lucas.

"But he lives for conventions. So to strip this from him, too, is heartbreaking."
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... om_al.html
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Lucas Bans David Prowse (Darth Vader) From Conventions

Post by Griffin »

Well, I hope Lucas has taught his family how to cross the road safely then, I doubt the Green Cross Code man will help him out now.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GL seems to have lost his mind... and IQ...

What does SW gain by GL messing with the Conventions other then nothing.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm feeling more and more like Lucas just likes to dick with things because he can.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, he's turned into an ass. Which is a shame because I thought he was going to starting turning around after he booted KT from SW.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I'm feeling more and more like Lucas just likes to dick with things because he can.
I'm thinking a bit of a Napoleonic complex. You know how those little guys can get.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:I thought he was going to starting turning around after he booted KT from SW.
Unfortunately, he didn't. I doubt Lucas had a clue what Traviss was up to - he simply did what he wanted and KT sulked and stomped off in a huff when that contradicted her notions of SW. Whether or not the idea was originally suggested by someone who was pissed off with KT is another matter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lucas doesn't give a shit about the EU and he's said as much. I'd bet money on him having no clue that Travis had done so much with the Mandalorians before he did them in the cartoon.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I don't think he should have to give a fuck about the EU.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Why not? It's part of Star Wars, it's making him a LOT of money. Pissing on it just for the hell of it only alienates fans.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

You bring up valid points and now I look a little foolish for not looking into this, it just annoyed me how several Prequel trilogy haters were criticising it for going over what had already been established in the EU when its his story and his universe. But as I say you bring up valid points and I agree that he should care about the EU.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's not even the prequels really. A good example would be Ryloth the Twi'lek homeworld. In the EU it's a tidally locked rocky world with minimal atmosphere orbiting close to its parent star. The Twi'leks had a fairly well developed (for Star Wars) culture built up as well. In the cartoon Lucas has the Twi'lek homeworld invaded and... pretty much pissed on everything just because. Nothing in the cartoon's plot necessitated the planet be the Twi'lek homeworld. It could just have easily been a colony. In the end it just feels like George intentionally did that just to snub the EU... but why? Really, why do that? Ryloth is even the EU name, in the movies you never hear the Twi'lek's homeworld's name so he dug up the EU name for it and then just ignored everything else. It comes off as him just dicking with the EU because he can.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Now things like that I disagree with him doing, and it does indeed make him look like a jerk, this and the other things he's done, like what's happened here, the banning of David Prowse from conventions.
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wow, George. Dick big enough yet? :madashell:

I wonder how he likes it in his ivory tower, there.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

(right hand) Ivory Tower..........(left hand) Phallic Symbol........? :? :roll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington