Enterprise E Deck Madness...

The Next Generation
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Enterprise E Deck Madness...

Post by LaughingCheese »

So I just watched First Contact again last night on Hulu (thanks Lazar!).

I noticed at one point it was stated that the Borg had taken over decks 26-11. This was the first time the security guy came back from his post to give a report. (Worf said it but that was the scene I think).

And then when Picard is telling Lily the dimensions of the ship he says 24 decks.

Funny, somehow I had recalled First Contact being less scatterbrained with its facts than Nemesis.

Guess not! :lol:

The other thing is, I was starting to see all the plot holes, something I generally don't do when I watch movies.

For instance, the Borg could have just nuked the launch site. Presumably, those plasma torpedoes or whatever they're firing can have varying yields.

We know Starfleet torpedo yields can be tweaked.

Things like that. :bangwall: :mrgreen:
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Enterprise E Deck Madness...

Post by Praeothmin »

Don't try to apply too much logic to Star Trek, or you will risk spraining your brain and bleeding from your ears...

Just enjoy the SFX and you'll be fine...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Praeothmin wrote:Don't try to apply too much logic to Star Trek, or you will risk spraining your brain and bleeding from your ears...

That's what I do.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Praeothmin wrote:Don't try to apply too much logic to Star Trek, or you will risk spraining your brain and bleeding from your ears...

I usually do, dunno why I started noticing all that last night. Must've been tired.

It takes energy to suspend disbelieve I guess. :mrgreen:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh, ships named Enterprise in 'Trek have an illustrious history of referencing more decks than they actually have. :)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

See, I have no problem mentally accepting that there are say 30 decks, or 29 decks or something. I've long believed that a case could be made that Trek ships are bigger than they're supposed to be.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The question isn't one of how big it's supposed to be - it's that Picard says it has 24 decks, and Worf says something about deck 26.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The only IU explanation I can think of is that there are sub-decks, and Picard's 24 decks only count the "main" levels. Really though, I'd say it's a clear goof on the writers' part and a whoops on who ever was suppose to be in charge of catching such errors.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:The question isn't one of how big it's supposed to be - it's that Picard says it has 24 decks, and Worf says something about deck 26.
And the E-A had 72 decks. And the lieutenant dude says they've taken over decks 26 to 11 ("but when they got to deck 11 they just, stopped") and Worf says "The borg has assimilated nearly half the ship in a matter of hours" (don't ask me why I remember that so perfectly despite not having watched the film recently. I'm not sure I want to know) So either Picard was wrong the first time, or it's 24 full decks and a few other maintenance decks and he was rounding, or worf and the lieutenant who just traveled those decks are wrong.

{Edit, or you can read Lighthawks post which puts it much more succinctly :))
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The E-A example is why I said there was precedent. ;) My point is that it's clearly a YATI. Sure, it can be explained away as 'tween-decks access, maintenance companionways, etc.; but that thought process wasn't involved when the script was written.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:T.... but thatthought process wasn't involved when the script was written.
Isn't this a more accurate summary of how many trek scripts are written? :lol:
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mikey wrote:The question isn't one of how big it's supposed to be - it's that Picard says it has 24 decks, and Worf says something about deck 26.
And the E-A had 72 decks. And the lieutenant dude says they've taken over decks 26 to 11 ("but when they got to deck 11 they just, stopped") and Worf says "The borg has assimilated nearly half the ship in a matter of hours" (don't ask me why I remember that so perfectly despite not having watched the film recently. I'm not sure I want to know) So either Picard was wrong the first time, or it's 24 full decks and a few other maintenance decks and he was rounding, or worf and the lieutenant who just traveled those decks are wrong.

{Edit, or you can read Lighthawks post which puts it much more succinctly :))
WOW...don't remember that. Guess I should watch the old movies again.

Although, that may be explained by the neck connecting the engineering and saucer hulls, but that would probably have to be a ton of really thin decks.

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mikey wrote:T.... but thatthought process wasn't involved when the script was written.
Isn't this a more accurate summary of how many trek scripts are written? :lol:
I think you hit the nail on the head...this is a microcosm of Trek script writing as a whole. :mrgreen:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I always take the Lts goof for being under stress. He just guessed what the bottom deck of the ship was.

As for Worf not taking issue with it, its possible (maybe even likely) that Worf had no idea how many decks there were. He had just beemn on there for a few days, and wasn't even an actual crew member.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Then in NEM, he has to send security details to deck 29.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well since the Ent-E is really 17km long I don't see the problem.