WH40k What if?

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: WH40k What if?

Post by Tyyr »

Their ability to cause defections the way they do would be good cause to stomp them.

I'm still of the opinion that if you wait until the 30th millenium to try and influence the Emperor you've waited too long. Save humanity at its height and things like the Tyranids and Necrons would be a non-issue.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Absorbing the Tau would be useful due to their effectiveness. So would making an alliance with them as a buffer state on the Easter Fringe.

If the Craftworld Eldar could be talked into setting up a predetermined region to call their own. Then I wouldn't mind keeping them around. Somewhere between the Eye of Terror and the Halo Stars.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I'm still of the opinion that if you wait until the 30th millenium to try and influence the Emperor you've waited too long. Save humanity at its height and things like the Tyranids and Necrons would be a non-issue.
But what would you do? As long as there is to be a Great Crusade, then the Heresy (or something just like it) will occur.
Deepcrush wrote:Absorbing the Tau would be useful due to their effectiveness. So would making an alliance with them as a buffer state on the Easter Fringe.
I don't see how to accomplish an alliance or peaceful coexistence. As I said, expansionist is expansionist, whether economically, politically, or militarily.
Deepcrush wrote:If the Craftworld Eldar could be talked into setting up a predetermined region to call their own. Then I wouldn't mind keeping them around. Somewhere between the Eye of Terror and the Halo Stars.
IIRC, most of the craftworlds orbit the Eye, or nearby. They can be useful allies, as shown against the 'Nids and against Chaos from time to time, but I don't trust them in any sort of actual arrangement beyond momentarily.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:But what would you do? As long as there is to be a Great Crusade, then the Heresy (or something just like it) will occur.
The original question was:
Some how you save the future Emperor of mankind's life.
There's no real time set on it and honestly I took it to mean you save him today given that he should be alive and well right now somewhere on Earth. So you've got a couple of millenia to give him a heads up and avoid the whole need for a Great Crusade anyways.

Now, baring meeting him sometime prior to the Crusade I let him know making his boys might be a bad idea. After he makes them though... well it's kind of all down hill from there. The emperor has his head firmly lodged up his own ass about things and isn't likely to listen to reason. At that point I ask for long life and the Sororitas and call it a retirement somewhere in the Smurf's territory.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:But what would you do? As long as there is to be a Great Crusade, then the Heresy (or something just like it) will occur.
We weren't talking about stopping the Heresy from occuring. We're talking about allowing it happen in order to fish out the disloyal elements.
Mikey wrote:I don't see how to accomplish an alliance or peaceful coexistence. As I said, expansionist is expansionist, whether economically, politically, or militarily.
The Imperium under the EoM is totally different then the Imperium being run in his name. Once all of the Human worlds are asorbed into the Imperium then expansion no longer needs to be as aggressive. Coexistence becomes much easier.
Mikey wrote:IIRC, most of the craftworlds orbit the Eye, or nearby. They can be useful allies, as shown against the 'Nids and against Chaos from time to time, but I don't trust them in any sort of actual arrangement beyond momentarily.
Some of the Craftworlds do orbit the EoT, but most don't. Most in fact try to avoid the EoT. Parking the Eldar on the far side of the EoT means that you have a buffer between the IoM and the Craftworlds. The best way to handle the matter would be to keep the choices simple. After the end of the HH, the EoM could just pass a pair of options. "move here or we'll kill you all"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:The Imperium under the EoM is totally different then the Imperium being run in his name. Once all of the Human worlds are asorbed into the Imperium then expansion no longer needs to be as aggressive. Coexistence becomes much easier.
I was talking about the Tau being expansionist, not the IoM.
Deepcrush wrote:Some of the Craftworlds do orbit the EoT, but most don't. Most in fact try to avoid the EoT. Parking the Eldar on the far side of the EoT means that you have a buffer between the IoM and the Craftworlds. The best way to handle the matter would be to keep the choices simple. After the end of the HH, the EoM could just pass a pair of options. "move here or we'll kill you all"
Fair enough.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:I was talking about the Tau being expansionist, not the IoM.
The Tau's expansion was minimal at best and easily tempered. This was against a weakened and ignorant IoM. If the HH was put down and the AALs maintained, the Tau Empire would have been hard pressed to even hold their borders against the IoM. Let alone any idea of expansion towards the IoM.
Mikey wrote:Fair enough.
Well then, that settles that?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

To better clarrify, you save the Emperor's life and so you two become best friends. I left it purposely vague hoping to get a range of answers from modern times to if you knew about the future- which is how the thread went, then what would you do. Ideally you would save his life today with your current life like say this year. That was the original intent of the question, but the answers are pretty cool so I don't mind it changing paths a bit.

Personally I would recommend the Taus be saved for awhile. You got more dangerous things like Necrons, Zerg-original things, and Orks to deal with. All three of which I would say are a lot more dangerous than the Tau. At least in the short term. By the year 60k things might be a little different though.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Tau are small fish. Hell, at this point in the timeline they've still got a long time to go before they become rock-throwing savages. And even at the "current" point in the timeline, they're still nothing more than a minor nuisance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sionnach Glic wrote:The Tau are small fish. Hell, at this point in the timeline they've still got a long time to go before they become rock-throwing savages. And even at the "current" point in the timeline, they're still nothing more than a minor nuisance.
To the IoM they are a nuisance. To Chaos and Nids they're a total pain in the ass! Augers in use by Chaos forces have horrible range next to the scanners in use by the Tau. Without a warp presence the Tau are nearly invisible to the Nids. They are the perfect buffer, small fry or not. Since we don't even have to worry about them until the 41st as it is. We can readily ignore them for now.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Tyyr wrote:Their ability to cause defections the way they do would be good cause to stomp them.

I'm still of the opinion that if you wait until the 30th millenium to try and influence the Emperor you've waited too long. Save humanity at its height and things like the Tyranids and Necrons would be a non-issue.
Best approach so far. Get him to take charge of mankind at the height of their power with STCs still around etc. and get him to wage war on the eldar so that they get their shit together and in one stroke you prevented the birth a of chaos god, the eye of terror and the need for ever having a crusade.

Because no matter how you look at things, at the end of the day it is ALWAYS the stupidity of elves what f++++ks things up, no matter what universe or setting.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm always happy with the "Kill the Elves/Eldar" plan.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Kill the men, enslave the women.

If you can tell the difference.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You can, Eldar women aren't to shabby looking. Problem is that you have to worry about them playing century long tricks on you. Its best if you just get rid of them rather then risk anything.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Or you just trade them in for another every 50 years.