Weapons and Warfare

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Weapons and Warfare

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:And how're we doing with those?
How often do you hear of Iraq these days? The place isn't fixed, and won't be for years to come, but compared with a few years ago it's remarkably calm. Afghanistan is another matter, partially because of the sheer numbers that would be required to secure the country properly, partially because the insurgents are even more effective (both in terms of equipment and ability) than Iraq (unsurprising, given that they've been in a near-constant state of war for thirty years). Nonetheless, the basic principles remain the same, and if the numpty you elected doesn't do something stupid (such as withdrawing before the ANA is in a position to take over), the campaign is winnable.
Honestly, ti seems like Afghanistan takes the place of the Forgotten War in our media. I don't know about others on the board spread throughout the U.S. but I hear much more about Iraq than I do about Afghanistan. I'm not saying that's the way it should be but that seems to be where our focus is, despite the fact that right now the harder fight is in Afghanistan.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

New Topic: Flame throwers. While they certainly rank high on the awesome scale, they don't seem to be very practical as far as being true weapons of war. Bulky, heavy, short ranged, is there anything that really makes these worthwhile for an modern army to have?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Two things: 1) fear factor. Fear of fire is primal and innate. 2) At the time of their greatest use (late WWII) there was no better man-pack weapon for use against covered or hardened positions.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They also still work well against assh*les in caves.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Burning jungles is probably beneficial to prevent tropical guerilla warfare.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

They're great for cooking steaks too.

"I want mine rare - rare but not bloody"
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:Burning jungles is probably beneficial to give the enemy a million new recruits for tropical guerilla warfare.
Fixed for you. Large scale use of napalm (flamethrowers would be ridiculously ineffective on the scales you're talking about) is not the best tactic to win friends and influence people.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:They're great for cooking steaks too.

"I want mine rare - rare but not bloody"
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Burning jungles is probably beneficial to give the enemy a million new recruits for tropical guerilla warfare.
Fixed for you. Large scale use of napalm (flamethrowers would be ridiculously ineffective on the scales you're talking about) is not the best tactic to win friends and influence people.
Who needs friends ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:Who needs friends ;)
Anyone who wants a hope in hell of winning a guerilla war - unless the locals are on your side you will lose.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Of course, I meant it in jest.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

What do you mean, Seafort? It worked so well for us in 'Nam!
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given modern sensibilities I don't think you'll find anyone pushing their use too hard. Especially since the job they were best at, bunker killing, has pretty much been taken over by man portable missiles and rockets which are a hell of a lot safer.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's why I said "at the time of their greatest use." During island-hopping, every landing squad of devil dogs had a flame trooper to deal with pillboxes and bunkers. Now, with easily portable anti-installation rockets and missiles, the limited range and exposure of the user of a flamethrower isn't neccesary. Hell, even the old warhorse Carl Gustav (still in use by the Rangers, BTW) comes with an anti-installation round now.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Given modern sensibilities I don't think you'll find anyone pushing their use too hard. Especially since the job they were best at, bunker killing, has pretty much been taken over by man portable missiles and rockets which are a hell of a lot safer.
They're also a lot less effective, as they only knock out the bunkers they hit. A Crocodile would neutralise every bunker in sight.