WH40k What if?

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

WH40k What if?

Post by Monroe »

Some how you save the future Emperor of mankind's life. You two become good friends. So good in fact after he's certain he has your trust what would you want? Would you just remain friends? Would you try to help him? Would you ask for a prolonged life?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: WH40k What if?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I do my best to warn him that Horus can't be trusted. Hopefully he'll heed my word, and once the Horus Heresy starts (if indeed it does - if possible I may be able to break the chain of events that led to the whole thing starting) it should be put down quickly and easily.

With the God-Emperor of Mankind still alive, I do my best to help him usher in a new golden age of humanity. All the highly superstitious, backwards, and self-damaging parts of the Imperium only started up upon the Emperor's death, so without that happening the Imperium will continue to advance in all areas of science.

For my services, if it's an option, I shan't say no to something approaching immortality. After that I'll retire as governor of some peaceful and prosperous sector of the Imperium.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd tell him to get his shit together and try to unite humanity at its height, before we back slide into idiocy.

My personal perk, the Adepta Sororitas answer to me.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I do my best to warn him that Horus can't be trusted. Hopefully he'll heed my word, and once the Horus Heresy starts (if indeed it does - if possible I may be able to break the chain of events that led to the whole thing starting) it should be put down quickly and easily.
I can't see him listening closely enough to change anything. IIRC, at least a few of the other Primarchs were telling him the exact same thing, and even in the final battle he was holding back.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well if you tell him before he makes Horus maybe. I do get the impression he was rather full of himself though, unlikely to take advice.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:I do my best to warn him that Horus can't be trusted. Hopefully he'll heed my word, and once the Horus Heresy starts (if indeed it does - if possible I may be able to break the chain of events that led to the whole thing starting) it should be put down quickly and easily.
I can't see him listening closely enough to change anything. IIRC, at least a few of the other Primarchs were telling him the exact same thing, and even in the final battle he was holding back.
Indeed, he had a long streak of "He's my genetically-engineered, lab-created son, he can't be doing this!"

Even so, if the story of Alpharius Omegon is to be believed, the Heresy sort of had to occur, right?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd set up an ambush of Horus' ambush at Isavann. Crush the bulk of the traitor legions right there. From there talk the Emperor into a direct war against the forces of Chaos and Eldar.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:I'd set up an ambush of Horus' ambush at Isavann. Crush the bulk of the traitor legions right there. From there talk the Emperor into a direct war against the forces of Chaos and Eldar.
Good idea on the ambush, but I'd argue to leave the Eldar alone. Their warp knowledge would be useful, if nothing else for better defenses while in the warp. Maybe a trading post with the Eldar, and governmental exchanges. Best would be getting Eldrad as an advisor, but he can be annoying.

The other detail I'd mention is a certain threat that will arrive near the Tyran system, and will be a major problem afterwards.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I doubt that the living Emperor would go after the Eldar anyway, what with their help in establishing the webway entrance inside the Inner Palace and all.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:I doubt that the living Emperor would go after the Eldar anyway, what with their help in establishing the webway entrance inside the Inner Palace and all.
There is that little problem with some of their agents helping along the Traitor Legions. So I think it might be okay for a little Zenos house cleaning. Plus I really don't like the Eldar.
Coalition wrote:The other detail I'd mention is a certain threat that will arrive near the Tyran system, and will be a major problem afterwards.
Nids are 10,000 years away. If the Imperium hadn't been broken during the Horus Heresy, the nids wouldn't have been anywhere near as much trouble.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I didn't say I'd mind taking on the Eldar, just that I don't think the Emperor would. If Malcador's intent is correctly interpreted by the Inquisition, the cooperation of the Harlequins would seem to agree.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So then how should we handle the Eldar?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would keep limited Inqisitorial relationships with the Harlequins. With the Craftworld Eldar, stand them up if they come into conflict with the IoM, otherwise leave 'em be.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Okay, so side note relations with them. Here's another issue, what do we do about the Tau?

We have "Save the Emperor" then "form a new position within the Imperium" follow by "working relations with Eldar".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I wouldn't call what I said "working relations." I's allow limited connections between the Inquisition and the Harlequins, because of the Black Library and their efforts against Chaos... but that's as far as I take it. The Craftworld Eldar can't be trusted any further than I can throw a craftworld.

About the Tau... well, I don't see a chance for anything other than war. Limited, perhaps; but even expansion through conversion and defection is still expansion.
as Bull offed Custer