The Fountain Of Youth?

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Fountain Of Youth?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Doctors Baffled, Intrigued by Girl Who Doesn't Age

Years Pass, but Brooke Greenberg Remains a Toddler. No One Can Explain How or Why.

Brooke Greenberg is the size of an infant, with the mental capacity of a toddler.

She turned 16 in January.

At 16, Brooke is old enough to drive, but still rides in a car seat.

"Why doesn't she age?" Howard Greenberg, 52, asked of his daughter. "Is she the fountain of youth?"

Such questions are why scientists are fascinated by Brooke. Among the many documented instances of children who fail to grow or develop in some way, Brooke's case may be unique, according to her doctor, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine pediatrician Lawrence Pakula, in Baltimore.

"Many of the best-known names in medicine, in their experience ... had not seen anyone who matched up to Brooke," Pakula said. "She is always a surprise."

Brooke hasn't aged in the conventional sense. Dr. Richard Walker of the University of South Florida College of Medicine, in Tampa, says Brooke's body is not developing as a coordinated unit, but as independent parts that are out of sync. She has never been diagnosed with any known genetic syndrome or chromosomal abnormality that would help explain why.

In a recent paper for the journal "Mechanisms of Ageing and Development," Walker and his co-authors, who include Pakula and All Children's Hospital (St. Petersburg, Fla.) geneticist Maxine Sutcliffe chronicled a baffling range of inconsistencies in Brooke's aging process. She still has baby teeth at 16, for instance. And her bone age is estimated to be more like 10 years old.

"There've been very minimal changes in Brooke's brain," Walker said. "Various parts of her body, rather than all being at the same stage, seem to be disconnected."

Brooke's mother, Melanie Greenberg, 48, sees a different picture. "She loves to shop," Greenberg said. "Just like a woman."

Brooke rides in a stroller while her mom shops for clothes in the infant sections of department stores near their home in a Baltimore suburb. That Brooke is in her mid-teens is so mind-boggling that if another mother with a toddler asks Greenberg how old Brooke is, she usually doesn't try to explain.

"My system always has been to turn years into months," Greenberg said. "So, if someone asked today, I might say, she's 16 months old."
Source

That has to be one of the strangest things I've ever heard. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Fountain Of Youth?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I feel... so sorry for the mother. And for Brooke, too.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Stuck as an eternal baby. What would happen if something happened to her parents?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I wonder what theories there are on what is causing this? I got nothin...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

An ancester was cursed by Hera?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:...I got nothin...
Seriously.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sucks that even her brain isn't developing...though maybe its for the better. Being stuck an infant for life...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Um, hi my name is Vic, is this the Twighlight Zone? That is.......disturbing. :?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Most likely some form of previously undiscovered developmental failure. She's most certainly aging, she just isn't growing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Since JH seems to think that certain things are developing, just in an uncoordinated manner, my guess would be some sort of syndrome affecting either DNA or RNA markers, or a change in the composition of her HGH itself.

Of course, my experience in this field is similar to my experience with trapping jackalopes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:

Seriously, I'm glad the parents are allowing scientists to do some research; there might be something to this. Who cares if I'm aging, as long as I look like I'm 30? :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I never looked like I was 30. I went straight from my 10th year of being carded directly into being called "sir" by people on the street. :madashell:
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Last time I was carded, I laughed involuntarily. :lol:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Whether it be fortunate or not, Most people believe me to be around 18/19.

I see potential in this.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Last time I was carded, I laughed involuntarily. :lol:
I see younger kids complaining about getting carded. If I ever get carded again, I'm gonna buy the guy a drink.
as Bull offed Custer