Ring Nacelles of Vulcan ships.

Enterprise
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I wouldn't call it a bad design. Yes it's a big target, but any warp nacelle design is going to be a trade off between efficiency and vulnerability. I don't recall any Vulcan ship being destroyed as a result of the nacelles being hit, and the examples of that happening to Fed ships (notably "Cause and Effect") were due to poor warp core design rather than solely due to the exposed nacelles.
Hmm, good point there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
I wouldn't call it a bad design. Yes it's a big target, but any warp nacelle design is going to be a trade off between efficiency and vulnerability. I don't recall any Vulcan ship being destroyed as a result of the nacelles being hit, and the examples of that happening to Fed ships (notably "Cause and Effect") were due to poor warp core design rather than solely due to the exposed nacelles.
Hmm, good point there.
I wonder if it's also more durable/reliable. If you damaged one section of it, that might ruin efficiency but you might be able to limp home, like a damaged propeller could still get a ship to limp home but other propulsion systems that I know of would require more extensive repairs before getting home.

Of coarse that's all speculation. I have nothing to base that on.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We saw a D'kyr that was attacked by Tholians. Her nacelle had damage marks were torpedoes or energy weapons have hit and yet, she was still intact. Perhaps the nacelle's plasma conducters or whatever the hell their called are internally divided into sections.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: No need to get personal.
not everyone has the imagination for that kind of thing.
Pot, kettle, black...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: No need to get personal.
not everyone has the imagination for that kind of thing.
Pot, kettle, black...
Don't bring that up again. Everyone has different abilities, my imagination just happens to be very active. It wasn't personal, just a fact. If Johnny Depp said he was better at acting then you, would you take that personally? No, and the only difference here is that I'm not famous.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: Don't bring that up again. Everyone has different abilities, my imagination just happens to be very active. It wasn't personal, just a fact. If Johnny Depp said he was better at acting then you, would you take that personally? No, and the only difference here is that I'm not famous.
For one, your point is wrong in the first place - there is no design evolution as they're completely separate races at this point. And secondly you assume to have a better imagination than someone you've never met and have spoken to only a couple times on a star trek forum. And thirdly, if someone insults me, I insult them back, but I don't claim that I'm not insulting them or getting offensive back at them, like you have done. You didn't just say you had a good imagination, you had such nerve to claim Jordanis had a bad imagination!

If Johnny Depp said he was better at acting than me, he'd get a fist in his face. How can he possibly know that he was a better actor than me after not seeing my acting skills - and how can he be the one to judge. For you to say you have better imagination than someone (or for you to claim someone else has a bad imagination, as you have done), both parties must first have fully shown their imaginative abilities (which is impossible in this case, as its completely subjective, but for arguements sake...), and then have an impartial judge (not oneself) to decide who has the 'best' imagination.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: Don't bring that up again. Everyone has different abilities, my imagination just happens to be very active. It wasn't personal, just a fact. If Johnny Depp said he was better at acting then you, would you take that personally? No, and the only difference here is that I'm not famous.
For one, your point is wrong in the first place - there is no design evolution as they're completely separate races at this point. And secondly you assume to have a better imagination than someone you've never met and have spoken to only a couple times on a star trek forum. And thirdly, if someone insults me, I insult them back, but I don't claim that I'm not insulting them or getting offensive back at them, like you have done. You didn't just say you had a good imagination, you had such nerve to claim Jordanis had a bad imagination!

If Johnny Depp said he was better at acting than me, he'd get a fist in his face. How can he possibly know that he was a better actor than me after not seeing my acting skills - and how can he be the one to judge. For you to say you have better imagination than someone (or for you to claim someone else has a bad imagination, as you have done), both parties must first have fully shown their imaginative abilities (which is impossible in this case, as its completely subjective, but for arguements sake...), and then have an impartial judge (not oneself) to decide who has the 'best' imagination.
I'm not gonna bother arguing with you over those points because it's boring, pointless and in the past, and no one really cares anymore. um... why are you bringing this up anyway? At worst I insulted him, not you. And it really would only be a bad insult to a writer, or artists, or other people who pride themselves on their creativeness. Also, no one should ever take my insults seriously, because I usually don't mean them. Take a chill pill. If you don't have a chill pill take a chill strip it'll disolve right on your tongue and give you minty fresh breath.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Thorin - Blackstar's (or my, or anyone's) comments arent' worth you getting heated over. None of us can say anything that should have such meaning to you that you bother getting upset.

Blackstar - you say that you don't mean many of your insults. Then don't say them! Why bring any negativity at all into a (mostly) positive forum such as this? If you want to tout your own imaginative abilities - which should never be necessary, but if it makes you feel better.... then it is very simple to do so without deprecating someone else's.

I admit I have a caustic, sarcastic, and dry sense of humor. However, if it were ever interpreted (to my knowledge) as a true offense to someone here, I wouldn't defend it - I would apologize and attempt to amend my efforts.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer