Is It Illegal To Be A Sith?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Is It Illegal To Be A Sith?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Watching Episode 3 recently, I noticed that upon learning that Palpatine is a Sith the Jedi go to his office and immediately declare that he is under arrest. This is despite him doing (as far as they know) nothing that would seem to be illegal. Indeed, it would seem that he's been doing all he can to protect the Republic from the Seperatists - even being kidnapped by them at one point. But uppon learning he's a Sith Windu immediately jumps from "we're going to inform him the war's over and he can give back his emergency powers" to "In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest".

So on what grounds did Windu declare him to be under arrest?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Is It Illegal To Be A Sith?

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:So on what grounds did Windu declare him to be under arrest?
Treason, probably, on the grounds that he was head of the Confederacy. Dooku was a known Sith (from Palpatine's and Kebobi's exchange on the IH), the Jedi knew (through unknown means) that Sith came in pairs (The Phantom Menace), Darth is a specifically Sith title (Path of Destruction) and Gunray was known to be taking orders from an individual called Darth Sidious who lived somewhere in 500 Republica (Labyrinth of Evil). The only missing piece was the identity of Sidious, and once Skywalker had ID'd Palpatine all pieces were in place.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was unaware that the Jedi knew that Sidious was calling Gunray from there. If true, that's a pretty bloody stupid move on Palpatine's part.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:I was unaware that the Jedi knew that Sidious was calling Gunray from there. If true, that's a pretty bloody stupid move on Palpatine's part.
He wasn't. They identified Sidious (by name and as a Sith) from the memory of Gunray's hoverchair after it was captured, figured out that he'd been operating from the Works (the industrial area seen at the end of AotC) after a bit of detective work by Kenobi and Skywalker, and backtracked through a hidden tunnel to the basement of 500 Republica.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I... believe at least in the novel, it's mentioned it's not illegal to be a Sith. Not 100% sure on that, though.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I... believe at least in the novel, it's mentioned it's not illegal to be a Sith. Not 100% sure on that, though.
IIRC that mention was by Palpatine, and referred to freedom of religion. The Sith aren't just a religious organisation but a political one, and it's their political actions that make them an illegal organisation. Much as Islam is not illegal but AQ is, though the latter is very heavily based on the former (or at least OBL's interpretation of it).
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, and the whole multiple wars on civilization thing kinda puts a damper on being a Sith. ;)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

What? Don't be ridiculous. murder, pillaging and genocide is perfectly acceptable, be a good sport!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nobody promised ultimite power would be easy :happydevil:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:What? Don't be ridiculous. murder, pillaging and genocide is perfectly acceptable, be a good sport!
Oh, it's only fun until your planet's BDZed. :lol:
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well, it's true that the conflict between Jedi & Sith looks like a religious conflict.

But after all of this wars, it is not possible that the Republic said "It's illegal to be a Sith".
After all, the Jedi Order collect or destroy Sith Relics & Creatures like the Talisman of Muur.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well, if it is illegal then the Republic would have been declaring a religion illegal. Nothing says they couldn't but it would but a bit of tarnish on their spotless image with some people.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Well, if it is illegal then the Republic would have been declaring a religion illegal. Nothing says they couldn't but it would but a bit of tarnish on their spotless image with some people.
Given that this particular religion has "kill all Jedi and conquer the galaxy" as one of its key tenants, I don't see the problem.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Maybe the Republic can argue by calling the Sith Order a Sect.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Seafort wrote:Given that this particular religion has "kill all Jedi and conquer the galaxy" as one of its key tenants, I don't see the problem.
I dunno, sounds like a couple of religions I know.