Re: Season 1

Post by Reliant121 »

....Pass comment.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:I wonder why they started to phase out the type 1. In TNG season one they seemed to be standard issue for all senior officers and bridge crew. And that would actually make sense in a universe where bad things happen damned quick.
Reportedly, they were so small that the cameras had a hard time telling that they were there at all. Unless the actors more or less held the thing between thumb and forefinger, it looked like they were just firing phaser beams out of their hands.

Within universe, I wonder just how easy it would be to end up phasering the end of your fingers off firing something that small.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Or blasting a hole in your TV cause you mistook it for the remote.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You're reaching a point, both with the PPG's and the Type 1 phasers where you can't really make the item smaller, not and still be useful. You really need something pistol sized for a personal weapon.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I actually sort of liked the rifles in "In The Beginning." They never showed them again, but they were pretty cool (if not terribly ergonomic).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They were fraking hand cannons. However, I liked the later PPG rifles. Small, light and rather powerful since I saw them hit people and send then tubbling backwards.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:You're reaching a point, both with the PPG's and the Type 1 phasers where you can't really make the item smaller, not and still be useful. You really need something pistol sized for a personal weapon.
Indeed. Certain things simply can't be miniturised without degrading its performance, regardless of how advanced the device in question may be. Weapons are one of these things. Honestly, it actually says quite a lot about how well trained most Starfleet officers are in the use of the Type 1 and 2 phasers that they can even come close to hitting a target.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well it helps... or hurts... that the beam often comes out in a fairly random direction...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It only comes out in a family friendly direction.

Can't have Riker shooting women in the face.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Someone should Photoshop that, and angle the beam where he's actually aiming. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Blatant sexism.

They were perfectly happy to show Remmicks head disintegrating in explicit detail - but the pretty blonde, no.

Riker must have been cursing it - aims at her face at it hits her in the stomach. For shame.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Didn't Europe edit Remmicks head exploding scene before it aired????

Maybe they avoided it for just that reason.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I did a quick look with some rulers and a rough guestimate of trajectory and it struck somewhere around the mid neck region.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:...aims at her face at it hits her in the stomach. For shame.
Yeah, that's always a surprise.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
kostmayer wrote:...aims at her face at it hits her in the stomach. For shame.
Yeah, that's always a surprise.
Or a disappointment