John Jefferies - RIP

The Original Series
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

John Jefferies - RIP

Post by Sionnach Glic »

John Jefferies, a designer for the original Star Trek, passed away on March 25th, from complications from lung cancer. John worked with his brother and the art director for Star Trek, the late Matt Jefferies. John was 74. More information and tributes to Jefferies below.

RIP John Jefferies

News of the passing of John Jefferies comes from the Art Director's Guild, which sent out the following announcement:

John Jefferies, a retired Set Designer and Art Director and longtime member of both Local 847 and Local 876 (now Local 800), died March 25, 2010 from complications from cancer. The memorial services for John will be held on Thursday, April 1, 2010, at 3:00 PM at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068 at the Church of the Hills.

In lieu of flowers, his family has requested that donations be made in John's name to the American Cancer Society or to a favorite charity.

Veteran Star Trek designer Mike Okuda also provided TrekMovie with the following quote on Mr. Jefferies:

John Jefferies was an important part of the original series design team. Although sometimes overshadowed by his brother, Matt, John Jefferies was a set designer on the original Star Trek who went on to become a noted art director and production designer in his own right. Matt was always generous with credit for his brother. John shared credit for the design of the iconic phaser pistol with his brother. Denise and I never had the privilege of working with John, but he was always gracious to us and to everyone who he worked with.

- Star Trek designer Michael Okuda
More here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: John Jefferies - RIP

Post by Mikey »

RIP, indeed. Thanks for what you've given us.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Would it be in poor taste to send his family a tube?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:Would it be in poor taste to send his family a tube?
What... kind of tube? :?

RIP, John. Thanks for all you did.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:What... kind of tube? :?
The kind his brother invented I suspect.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.