The World Of 2060

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The World Of 2060

Post by Monroe »

I've read a national geographic back in 2000, that I still remember, that said the population would hit peak of about 9 billion. I think Graham's estimates are a little better of 12 billion cause we're so close to 9 now.

I think within that time frame of 50 years from now we have a possibility of social unrest from epidemics, economic collapses (I really don't see the Great Recession solving anything and I have doubt in the government's ability to overturn the bombshell of a supreme court case), and the death throws of religion. As religion dies out those who are still very religion will become more and more passionate and that could lead to more terrorist attacks. And combine that with the asymmetrical threat of one person killing millions with information that can be found online it will be a very dangerous world.

Now don't get me wrong, I like my religion, but its not a religion with a strong sense of dogma or indoctrination so I don't count it among the others. But I can see western style religion fading away and as it does becoming more and more violent.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Religion has allways been with us (any style), there are no indications that it is slowing down much less disappearing. There will allways be the need to think that there is something beyond what can merely be measured. This is inherent in humanities mental make up, it can be supressed, it cannot be eliminated. (IMO of course)
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Vic wrote:Religion has allways been with us (any style), there are no indications that it is slowing down much less disappearing. There will allways be the need to think that there is something beyond what can merely be measured. This is inherent in humanities mental make up, it can be supressed, it cannot be eliminated. (IMO of course)
Well think of it as its influence eliminated. It won't be gone in 50 years but it will be closer to being side lined away from secular policies.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I would love to see religion seen as a "this is the way I choose to live my life, if you don't agree good for you" kind of thing rather than how it is percieved now.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

At best, religion will devolve into small decentralised groups, with believers making up a small minority of the largely atheistic populace. There'll always be some who believe in a higher power of some sort. It's just that they'll be a fringe group with no influence.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Vic wrote:I would love to see religion seen as a "this is the way I choose to live my life, if you don't agree good for you" kind of thing rather than how it is percieved now.

We've already got that. It's called "the bulk of people who aren't wing-nuts, who take their faith personally not publicly, but aren't as loud as the fringe few."

Or Ba'hai.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Sionnach Glic wrote:At best, religion will devolve into small decentralised groups, with believers making up a small minority of the largely atheistic populace. There'll always be some who believe in a higher power of some sort. It's just that they'll be a fringe group with no influence.
The only thing I see wrong with that is Atheism has allways been a tiny minority in any period of time you choose to name. It is just like a fad in that it comes and it goes, Atheism has never had the strong contiuum that religion posesses. It will still exist mind you, there will allways be people who choose not to have religion. There are just as many non-theistic philosophies out there as religions for people to choose from.
Mikey wrote:Or Ba'hai..
LOL I know a few Ba'hai, good folks. Although it can be a little strange as many syncretic religions can seem.