Cosmology Questions

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Cosmology Questions

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

What is a brane?
Is it space-time? Does a brane = (space-time) + (matter, energy, et cetera)? Something else entirely?

What does a brane reside in?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cosmology Questions

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's an abbreviation of membrane. The idea is that our three dimensional universe (four if you count time) is a membrane within higher dimensional space. There are other universes, other membranes, within this space also. One theory has it that the branes are not stationary - they wave around like ripples on an ocean, and where two branes collide, that's when you get a big bang happening and a new brane created.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

I just read an article about Paul Steinhardt's and Neil Turok's theory about brane collision caused Bing Bangs.

I have heard that our universe is actually two dimensional with time dilation providing for an apparent 3rd dimension (sort of an illusory holographic perceived dimension). What thoroughly confounds me is in what aether these membranes, these universes which are complete space-times unto themselves, reside. By what metric can these membranes be judged distant from each other and by what metric can they be judged to have collided?

Why are there only 10 measurable dimensions?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Beats me. Because that's how many it takes to make the idea work, mathematically, I suppose.

So far as I know, Brane cosmology is pure speculation. There's not an ounce of actual evidence to support it, and as far as I recall nobody has any idea how you would test it anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:...as far as I recall nobody has any idea how you would test it anyway.
Have the evangelicals get Jesus on the phone, and ask Him to shoot some video of a brane collision with His iPhone. Simple.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:...as far as I recall nobody has any idea how you would test it anyway.
Have the evangelicals get Jesus on the phone, and ask Him to shoot some video of a brane collision with His iPhone. Simple.
:laughroll:
Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, they claim to have some sort of direct line to God, and know God's agenda, so I don't see why not. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939