Admiral Cain and the Pegasus

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Admiral Cain and the Pegasus

Post by Mark »

HOLY SHIT!!! I've finally seen what you guys are talking about. That woman needed some fracking therapy! With less than 50,000 humans left, she was willing (and almost eager) to start killing the Galactica's command crew. In that last minute, I have no idea why she pulled away from trying to eliminate Adama.

Now, the Pegasus itself looked pretty sweet. Mercury class I believe? By how much does she out rate Galactica?

I kept comparing oBSG to nBSG in this three parter........and I've got to admit, I think I liked Lloyd Bridges "Cain" better. He was a maverick cowboy and a tactical marvel. Admiral Cain only struck me as a sadistic bitch.

Thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Admiral Cain and the Pegasus

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Peagsus is a much newer Battlestar, state of the art. She's much bigger and much more powerful... though Adama seems to think he can take her.

I love that they didn't just fly Pegasus off into space or blow her up at the end of the episode. They actually keep her around, and having her really does change a few things... for instance leading to one of my all time favourite moments in a little while.

Of course in the end... but let's not go there, shall we? :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Peagsus is a much newer Battlestar, state of the art. She's much bigger and much more powerful... though Adama seems to think he can take her.
Of course he does, he's the Captain of Galactica :mrgreen: Tho I do love that line "Don't count on it"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Personally I like "I'm getting my men."

As that demotivator said... that line never sounded less gay.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Personally I like "I'm getting my men."

Indeed. That entire 5min segment or however long it is, is spectacular. Honestly I've seen it several times and (Especially with the music) it's still "Wait.. What?! Oh shit.." I love his exchange over the phone ordering the Raptor prepped.

As for the "don't count on it" I like the effect it has in the scene, Roslin: "We both know who would win in an engagement" (or something like that) Adama: "Don't count on it."
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't know why and I have no evidence to support this, but my gut says that in nBSG Adama is the superior commander and tactician, where as in oBSG it was stated that Cain (Lloyd Bridges) was a "tactical wizard". So, while I don't know if Galactica could actually prevail in a fight with Pegasus....I could certainly see a stalemate (i.e. both ships crippled or destroyed)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

When Pegasus first shows up, Adama says to Roslin that Cain was a "rising star" in the Colonial Fleet. Whether this was through genuine ability or family connections is not stated. However, given Adama's genuine respect for Cain at the start of the episode we can probably guess that she does have a good tactical mind. He's not the type to waste his time with people who got to their position by internal politics, I think.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Personally I like "I'm getting my men."

Let's not forget the epic violin music. 8)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Let's not forget the epic violin music. 8)
Ah yes, the epic violin music. As a violinist that's 12 of the reasons I like the episode right there!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cain was a killing machine. She existed for one reason, to destroy the enemies of the colonies by whatever means she saw fit. To be honest, I greatly respected her. Had the opening days of the war not been a total rout for the Colonies, then she would have performed well.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

She struck me as unbalanced. Who knows...before the destruction maybe she was a top notch Commander......but then she went fracking crazy. Murders her XO...summary exectuions...conscription and abandonment of civilians...damn. And the rape.............. :shock:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thats what happens when someone goes blank. Its not like she's the first.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, she most certainly lost it a bit. Not too surprising, given that everything she had ever known had been turned into radioactive debris and she and her crew were, as far as they knew, the only survivors.

Here's something to ponder, though. Is she really all that different from Adama? Remember back in the miniseries, when Adama and Tigh were discussing whether to just leave the civillian fleet to their own devices and make a last ditch revenge attack on the Cylons? Or how Adama at first dismissed Roslin's status as President? And while he never went as far as Cain did in his treatment of prisoners, he clearly had nothing but digust for them initialy.

Adama and Cain are in many ways the same person, but are travelling on seperate paths. Cain and the Pegasus are sort of a "Mirror Universe" view of Adama and Galactica, one that Adama could have very easily become.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Damn, Rochey...thats deep, and a hell of a good point. And without Roslin acting as his "angel on his shoulder", Adama COULD have ended up pretty similar. Of course, he most likely wouldn't have lived that long, as he would have been destroyed in his piss poor attack he was thinking of.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

IMO, that was the whole point of Cain. In both oBSG and nBSG. A counter point to Adama, not as in who he must fight but in who he could have become.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm curious.....why didn't Adama transfer his flag to the newer and more powerful Pegasus rather than Galactica?