The Unity Saga

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Unity Saga

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This isn't really a series of 'books' per se, but it is an amazing piece of storytelling nonetheless. I never believed a ST/SW crossover could be worth a s***, but this definately proves me wrong. All of the characters interact brilliantly; just as you would expect. Janeway's flaws are exceptionally well-handled, and the progression of her character is rather logical. Everyone here should give this a read for sure.

Thanks to Captain Seafort for introducing me to this.

http://sfdebris.com/unity.asp
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I'll have to give it a reading when I get back from vacation. There's a really good one on a site about a certain star destroyer that I can't post cause it violates the posting rules, but I'll PM it to you.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Read it before, it's very good.
You should take a look at his Voyager and Enterprise reviews as well, they're brilliant. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Read it before, it's very good.
You should take a look at his Voyager and Enterprise reviews as well, they're brilliant. :)
Even better news is that OVEG will apparently be resuming weekly updates in the New Year. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've heard so much myself. It's nice to have it back again, it made me remember how much Threshold sucked. :)
OVEG wrote:Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! This is the one, the biggest failure in Voyager history. Prepare yourselves for an assualt on logic, science, and good taste. The concept: Tom Paris flies at infinite speed, which causes him to start mutating into a giant amphibian. It's even worse than it sounds.
What the hell kind of name is "Brannon" anyway? Sounds like a high fiber yogurt.
Tom explains: "The second I cross the threshold, I'll cut the engines, drop out of warp and come about." If you're occupying every point in the universe, why would you have to turn around? "After that," Harry adds, "we'll analyse the shuttle's sensor logs. Once we know it's safe to travel at transwarp, we'll try a more extended flight." And if we find out it isn't safe, we'll mop out the shuttle and pick another volunteer. Janeway praises Tom, that if it works he'll be joining an elite group of pilots: Orville Wright, Neil Armstrong, Zefram Cochrane. Yeah, screw you Yuri Gagarin, you pinko symbol of Soviet despotism!
Anyway, we see a recording of Tom performing the simulation and it's... disturbing. He's bouncing in his chair, grinning and making weird faces while he rattles numbers off. I hate to say it, but I think he's f*cking the shuttle
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Don't forget this bit:
OVEG wrote:What happens next is that Tom ressurects himself. Apparently dying was just a minor setback in this case. This is a first - we've had characters return from the dead, but always due to some kind of outside help; Tom is the first to resurrect himself, moving from the Lazarus of the Week to Jesus of the Week. Incidentally, in case anyone was saying the autopsy thing wasn't a mistake because Tom was in stasis, this proves that he wasn't (since anything that stopped the processes of death would stop the process bringing him back to life). And whatever brought him back not only got him to start breathing oxygen again, but it gave him an extra heart. Hmm, traveling to any point in space, has two hearts, all he needs now is a scarf and a police box.
It's always been a personnal gripe of mine that the worst bit of Threshold wasn't any of the outright stupidity, but Tom Paris:Time Lord. Although the OVEG write-up failed to note the "coming back from the dead" similarity. If it hadn't been for the timing of the episode I've have attributed that entire scene to them ripping off the TV movie.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that was rather odd. :)