SG-1 Season Nine

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SG-1 Season Nine

Post by Mark »

It seems to me here that we see a SHARP decline in the show. Apparently Brig Gen O'Neill gets promoted to Maj. Gen and pretty much leaves the show. We have a back story put in place about Lt. Col Mitchell, who means so much to the team that we've never heard of him before. The season opens with the SG-1 team splitting up, and being dragged back together by this new fellow.

I don't know.....it seemed SERIOUSLY forced here. Mitchell was literally FORCED down our throats, and is damned near a carbon copy of O'Neill (except not as funny). We find out that Merlin the Magician is really an ancient, and we meet the Ori (who actually seem like really cool bad guys...after all, how does one defeat a "god").

We meet Vala the nympho, who seems like she'd like nothing more than to jump Daniel's bones.

All in all, they seemed to have some great story IDEAS, the execution fell a bit short.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SG-1 Season Nine

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, this is where it really started to go downhill, IMO.
Mark wrote:and we meet the Ori (who actually seem like really cool bad guys...after all, how does one defeat a "god").
Aye, they had good potential as bad guys. Too bad they didn't work out to be all that good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

At the end of season nine, they were battling the Priors and Ori worshippers right? Do the Ori themselves take the field soon?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nope.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:It seems to me here that we see a SHARP decline in the show. Apparently Brig Gen O'Neill gets promoted to Maj. Gen and pretty much leaves the show. We have a back story put in place about Lt. Col Mitchell, who means so much to the team that we've never heard of him before. The season opens with the SG-1 team splitting up, and being dragged back together by this new fellow.

I don't know.....it seemed SERIOUSLY forced here. Mitchell was literally FORCED down our throats, and is damned near a carbon copy of O'Neill (except not as funny). We find out that Merlin the Magician is really an ancient, and we meet the Ori (who actually seem like really cool bad guys...after all, how does one defeat a "god").

We meet Vala the nympho, who seems like she'd like nothing more than to jump Daniel's bones.

All in all, they seemed to have some great story IDEAS, the execution fell a bit short.
To borrow a phrase, if Season 9 had a subtitle it would be "Stargate SG-1 Season 9; We've run out of ideas" -- I wouldn't say it's a bad season but it's definitely lackluster. Season 10 is alright, it's at least worth the 200th episode :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yeah, I'm not to crazy about the whole Camalot theme here. They could have done Greek/Roman, Sumarian, East Indian, or even revisited Native American mythology. But King Arthur (while being one of my personal favorites) just didn't seem to fit with the whole Stargate personna.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The other option would have been Lovecraft style. That would have had lots of fun there, where the Ancients of the Milky Way Galaxy are trying to protect the inquisitive monkeys from the other critters that are out there, have been out there for millions of years, and are bored.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would have been quite good to see. We have our "gods" as protectors of the galaxy from the brutal and dangerous "gods" of the other galaxies.

It would also go some way to explaining why the Ancients never butt in on our level. Not only are they busy elsewhere, but it would also be ideologicaly inappropriate.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Likely could be its own entire spin off series.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Nope.
They kind of did.. Irana or whatever her name was.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's not really the same thing though, IIRC.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the only occasions we see the Ori themselves do anything remotely important was on the planet where they were first introduced and the Prior...wait, do Prior's count as Ori?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nope.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ah, understood, I'll put a sock in it ^^
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Did anybody else ever start to wonder how EVERYBODY in TV seems to be a bladesman (swordfighter)?