[WH40K] Vassal 40K, Warhammer 40K Online

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: [WH40K] Vassal 40K, Warhammer 40K Online

Post by Mikey »

Either way, that's still about 100% more than I have to devote on a hobby, especially considering the rulebooks and codices, etc., plus the money I already spend on the Black Library titles.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ditto. The Black Library is the only way GW gets any money from me these days.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd love to play 40K, I really would. Two fully assembled and well painted armies fighting on a beautifully detailed table is an undeniably impressive sight. I just don't have that kind of cash on me. Additionally the way that GW price gouges its customers borders on the appalling. I was in the game shop looking at a box of Imp guard troopers and cringed. The thing cost $40. I've bought models with far more detail and plastic involved for $20 or $25 dollars before and those models sold in far less volume than GW stuff. GW over charges by at least 30 to 50% on everything which only makes getting into the hobby more prohibitive.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've considered partaking in the models in the past, but have even less funding than most on here so its a definite no-no. The advantage is I can now borrow black library books from my local or school library. I personally play the Dawn of War games, they may not have a fantastically accurate outlook but i find them very much enjoyable.

I'd love to play online a bit more than i do.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

You can sometimes find armies on places like Ebay or Craigslist. Most of them are unfinished though and way overpriced, I saw an interesting article on BoLS(?) IIRC a while back that basically said "any similar scale model can be used to make an army, don't limit yourself to GW." I was looking at Warmachine figures the other day and seeing what I could do to "adapt" them.

Your lucky about your library stocking the books though.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I've thought about e-bay or craigs. I just haven't gone through with it because I know once I get started it's all down hill from there and I can't support the habit.

You can use other models for the hell of it, but if you show up at a tourney with non-GW models odds are good you'll get turned away.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:I've thought about e-bay or craigs. I just haven't gone through with it because I know once I get started it's all down hill from there and I can't support the habit.

You can use other models for the hell of it, but if you show up at a tourney with non-GW models odds are good you'll get turned away.
When you go on ebay, just low bid it. Then, if the guy doesn't like it and his time runs out you can meet him in the middle. You still save money,

Non-GW models only matter at the tournaments. If you're worried about it. Go buy one battalion box for your army and mix up the pieces from your non-GW models. That way, it all just looks custom. This works REALLY well if you have Tau, IG, Eldar or Sisters as you go online to GW and buy the chest and head bits, then just bulk buy any other type of model that uses the same base size. Such as Starship Troopers models or plastic army guys out of the bags.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You're right about GW's mark-up bordering on the criminal - and Forgeworld is worse - but there's another factor. Out of the people in this conversation just on the last page, I know of three that have kids; three that have jobs; and one in school. Even if you adopt a high point-cost-per-model army like the Space Marines, who's got time to do all that work?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't even really paint much of my army. I field them, battle, then leave. I don't do the big tournaments. Well, not with my newer Tau army. I used to with my Dark Angels army. Though they were easy to paint. Guns, bolt metal grey. Armor, Dark Angels Green Primer. Shoulders, Bone White with a black cross.

Talk about mass production... :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:You're right about GW's mark-up bordering on the criminal - and Forgeworld is worse - but there's another factor. Out of the people in this conversation just on the last page, I know of three that have kids; three that have jobs; and one in school. Even if you adopt a high point-cost-per-model army like the Space Marines, who's got time to do all that work?
Well Forgeworld has an excuse, most of their stuff isn't something a lot of people buy, or in much quantity. How many Baneblades or Greater Demons can you take in a game? Consequently without the volume they've gotta recoup the art and mold costs in far fewer models. That said most of its so ridiculously priced that they guarantee their volume will never be high.

It'd be like my mechs, paint them slowly. Get one or two done a week. With guard troops I suspect I could crank them out faster given the uniformity of the army compared to mechs where each one is custom.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm personally content to immerse myself in the lore of the universe, and play the games. a One time hit of £15 to get Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II, happy with that.

On that note, is there any sites you would recommend to get to know more of the universe? or any books?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Reliant121 wrote: On that note, is there any sites you would recommend to get to know more of the universe? or any books?
Lexicanum is a 40K Wiki, with a fair bit of info there.

Sadly, well detailed sites are hard to come by. GW are pretty totalitarian about their copyrights, and clamp down on fan sites hard. Just look at the massive disclaimer at the bottom of any Lexicanum page and you'll see why there are damn few 40K sites about.

Books are a bit difficult. Unlike most universes, 40K is fully fleshed out. The books cover everyone from soldiers to starship captains to secret agents to police officers. Finding somewhere to start can be a bit difficult.

One series I'd recommend is the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Abnett is considered one of the best writers in the Black Library, and the GG series is excellent. It gives you a nice introduction to the Imperial Guard, giving you a perspective on the universe from the eyes of those at the bottom.

The Eisenhorn series by Abnett is another good one. It concerns the Inquisition, and has some excellent info on the Imperium. If you can get it, I'd recommend starting here.

Execution Hour and Shadow Point by Gordon Rennie concern starship combat, and are both excellent novels.

The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell are excellent, but I'd strongly advise staying away from them until you've already got a good grounding in the universe. The Cain novels are excellent books, but they're are more humourous take on the universe and so aren't good for getting into 40K. I would advise picking them up once you've read a few other books though, as they're brilliant.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Some selections from my shelf:

The Last Chancers: Penal Guardsmen on constant suicide missions. Dirty Dozen in space, a good "grimdark" set of stories and an interesting look at a Penal Legion.

The Space Wolf series. Space Marines are often criticized as being unrelatable, inhuman and 2d. These novels show us a SM who knows fear, love and indecision.

Brothers of the Snake, as above but with a different chapter. Possibly one of the coolest there is: the Iron Snakes!

Sandy Mitchel's new DH series is an excellent look at the civilian side of the Imperium, through the eyes of an Inquisition team. The first is Scourge the Heretic.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you want just a general and basic intro to the series. The best book for 40k is Let the Galaxy Burn. Its a large collection of short stories. Covering just about as many topics as everyone has recommended thus far. But in a single book.

That would be the best place to start getting into the 40K universe.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I can't second the Cain books enough but like Rochey said, not until you're used to the grimdark. They're a nice change of pace and a lot of fun but if you get used to them first you will NOT be ready for the rest of the universe.