Nova class

Voyager
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Nova class

Post by McAvoy »

Something I was wondering for awhile. The Nova class has been described as short ranged. In the real word that describes lack of fuel. While the Equinox needed fuel this got me thinking. I am sure deuterium should be found anywhere within UFP borders, why make the ship short ranged in the first place?
Is a cost issue?

Is it a lack of space in a cramped design?

Is it something having to do with the propulsion system itself?

While it has been said before that the UFP is a money less society or at least Earth is, it stands to reason that Starfleet has to barter with something to get what it needs or wants from let's say the Ferengi. But what would a short ranged ship save?

Perhaps the class uses well established propulsion technology or an easily mass producable system. Something that is not an high end or top of the line system that would fit within the design perimeters.

Usually when let's say the Air Forces or Navies of the world produce a short ranged design it is usually designed for specific purpose or philosophy of that goverment. Example German battleships in WW1 had low range due to being confined to the High Seas but in WW2 German battleships were designed with long range with commerce raiding in mind.

Just thinking
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Nova class

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duplicate thread locked
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.