STXI Nit

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: STXI Nit

Post by Captain Seafort »

To add to this, even massless particles have momentum, although I'm not sure how powerful the shot would have to be to produce the observed recoil.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nickswitz wrote:
Mark wrote:I just noticed a nit of my own. When Kirk and Spock beam to the Narada..........their phasers have "kicks". What logical sense can a phaser have a recoil?????
In all logical sense, a Nadion is a particle, which has energy, and a mass, and ever action has an equal an opposite reaction... So why wouldn't it.
Well, a recoil is the byproduct of the explosion of gunpowder in a firearm. What kind of propellant does a nadion particle have?

Whatever it is, it has never caused a recoil in ANY incarnations of Trek.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Recoil in general is a byproduct of accelerating a mass with another object.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Of course we assume that Newtonian laws still apply, even though we're dealing with these "nadions." However, the recoil shouldn't be anywhere near enough to produce visible, significant muzzle climb.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Perhaps its because it is a pulse instead of a beam. Its fitting a few seconds of fire in a microsecond.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Just another possible nit I just noticed: Altough they do look good, where exactly are the rank signatures on the female short-sleeve uniforms?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Mikey wrote:Of course we assume that Newtonian laws still apply, even though we're dealing with these "nadions." However, the recoil shouldn't be anywhere near enough to produce visible, significant muzzle climb.
Yeah... In reality, it should be the same as the "recoil" of a laser pointer... nothing :/
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

DarkOmen wrote:
Mikey wrote:Of course we assume that Newtonian laws still apply, even though we're dealing with these "nadions." However, the recoil shouldn't be anywhere near enough to produce visible, significant muzzle climb.
Yeah... In reality, it should be the same as the "recoil" of a laser pointer... nothing :/
Not really. We know nadions have mass based on people being knocked back when hit (in all except TOS). So they should have some recoil. Otherwise why would the phaser rifles have stocks.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Added support when aiming. It's easier to aim a braced rifle and keep it steady than one you're just holding in front of you.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:Added support when aiming. It's easier to aim a braced rifle and keep it steady than one you're just holding in front of you.
Ah, good point, especially the odd TOS rifle. Ok ignore that last bit from me.

Still, nadions do have significant mass, at least enough to knock back whomever gets hit, and apparently enough to provide visible recoil when bundled into a pulse.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem with the knock back is that reaction are equal and opposite. If the beam hits someone hard enough to throw them through the air then it'll throw the shooter through the air too.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Built in inertial dampners, maybe?
Hey, it is TNG. It wouldn't surprise me if they made something as insanely complex as that.

Or perhaps the throw-back effect is due to some kind of reaction the beam causes within the body? Though I certainly can't think of anything that would cause such an effect. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

DarkOmen wrote:In reality, it should be the same as the "recoil" of a laser pointer... nothing :/
Laser pointers do have recoil, albeit so little that it's unnoticeable.
Sionnach Glic wrote:Or perhaps the throw-back effect is due to some kind of reaction the beam causes within the body? Though I certainly can't think of anything that would cause such an effect. :?
Conversion into neutrinos - they have mass so they can carry away the mass-energy of the target when they're "vaporised" and occasionally throw the target around as though they'd been hit by a high-velocity projectile. However, since they can pass through vast amounts of matter without interacting, they wouldn't give anyone nearby the sort of horrific steam burns a true vaporisation would.

Basically a paraphrasing of this.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty much what he said. The knockback would have to be a side effect of the beam's interaction with the target, not of the beam itself. I wouldn't be shocked by an inertial dampner though. Starfleet does so love to over complicate things.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote: Starfleet does so love to over complicate things.
And as the annual Anomaly-of-the-Week and Explodes-When-Someone-In-Ten-Forward-Sneezes GCS Warp Core: "The more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."