Would the White Star Fly?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Would the White Star Fly?

Post by LaughingCheese »

I was thinking it would be awesome if I could build an RC White Star.

Imaging having something that unique to bring to the flying field? :lol:

Now, I have no problem with making minor changes to the overall shape if it can make it fly in the end.

The 'wings' look like they might be able to provide sufficient lift, although its a double air foil like World War I by planes.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Would the White Star Fly?

Post by Deepcrush »

It might if you have a good prop.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, maybe with a lot of thrust you could pull it off.

I dunno in the end though, the shape is sleek but I'd have to look it again to see if its not going to be uncontrollable.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, maybe with a lot of thrust you could pull it off.

I dunno in the end though, the shape is sleek but I'd have to look it again to see if its not going to be uncontrollable.
That's the problem. :lol:

I'm not sure how the double wing would work, and how would it yaw?

I though about making the aft fins tails, but I can see that would probably just knock it off balance.

Would be helpful if I could model it and get it into X-Plane.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm sure you could make it fly. Put enough thrust behind it, and you can make anything fly. No idea how aerodynamic it would be, though. I'm guessing not very.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tricky stuff, but could you direct some of the thrust downwards, that way you wouldn't need as much uplift from the forward movement?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

kostmayer wrote:Tricky stuff, but could you direct some of the thrust downwards, that way you wouldn't need as much uplift from the forward movement?
POSSIBLY, the only way I can think to do that would be to have two engines.

One points backward for thrust, the other downward like you said.

BUT, that would add extra weight.

Would it be enough to ground it, not sure.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The fancy part would be two counter-rotating blades in the nose, and launch/land it vertically. This means that if the engine does not have enough power, it will tend to fall butt-first, and cushion the important stuff (RC circuits, battery, engine, etc). The counter-rotating prevents most of the torque from one blade, while avoiding thrust losses from having to power a tail rotor. Make the rotor blades cheap and fragile, so if they get damaged, you don't lose anything important. By maknig them fragile, they will get damaged first, saving the important stuff (the engine, drive shaft).

If you want the lift/acceleration of two blades, and make it fairly simple, you might as well build it as a gyrocopter with a fancy shell. You will need extra thrust to deal with the body of the White Star getting in the way, so be ready to put in a good lift engine.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'll say, yes it could fly. There is an RC TOS Enterprise out there, with little jets if IIRC and that thing is little better then a brick.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Coalition wrote:The fancy part would be two counter-rotating blades in the nose, and launch/land it vertically. This means that if the engine does not have enough power, it will tend to fall butt-first, and cushion the important stuff (RC circuits, battery, engine, etc). The counter-rotating prevents most of the torque from one blade, while avoiding thrust losses from having to power a tail rotor. Make the rotor blades cheap and fragile, so if they get damaged, you don't lose anything important. By maknig them fragile, they will get damaged first, saving the important stuff (the engine, drive shaft).

If you want the lift/acceleration of two blades, and make it fairly simple, you might as well build it as a gyrocopter with a fancy shell. You will need extra thrust to deal with the body of the White Star getting in the way, so be ready to put in a good lift engine.
Actually you gave me an idea.

EDIT: I should give credit where credit is due, you made me think of these guys when you mentioned the counter-rotating blade setup:

http://www.verticopter.com/

I figured maybe I could just put it in the center of the air foil structure, would have great protection and potentially make it so it could be a hover- and forward flight aircraft.

I would have those counter-rotating blades, except on a swivel, and located within the fuselage section, so that it could spin one way for VTOL and the other for forward flight.

The only thing that worries me is the airflow out the back...and how it would be affected by the White Star's confusing jumble of airfoils.

Should be interesting, I wonder if X Plane could accurately model it.

@Kendall: I would love to see that!

I think, given some gyro stabilization, the saucer module would fly fine. Especially more aerodynamic saucers like the Sovereign class and the Prometheus. Its the rest of the ship that's the problem. :lol:
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

ARG!

THIS GUY'S ALREADY DONE IT!

Well, sort of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M999uj58uEI

He had to change the shape a LOT, which, in my book, kind of doesn't count if you have to change it that much.

EDIT: Here's his page on the Minbari Flier:

http://www.rcvortex.com/Minbari_ship.html

EDIT: It flies backwards!! Definitely doesn't count. :mrgreen: :roll: :poke: