4 - Not great
No votes
3 - Rather poor
No votes
2 - Just plain bad
No votes
1 - Awful
No votes
0 - What has become of my beloved sci-fi series?
11%

Total votes: 9
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SGU

Post by Lt. Staplic »

it's explained:
During the video, Danial Jackson says that part of the goal of the SGC was to figure out and dial all nine chevrons, but they didn't have the power to dial it once, let alone experiment. Then when they unlocked the Ancient Database on Atlantis they discovered the 9 chevron gate address. idk if that was in the show or not, but it doesn't really matter, it's not like that was overly important to their mission there.

The planet their dialing from has a radioactive core allowing them to sustain the huge power levels necessary to dial the nine chevron address (the difference is that a nine chevron address isn't so much an address as a code to activate a unique stargate, the one on Destiny).

Hope that helps.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah it sounds like the 9th is for the stargate ships not other galaxy clusters. But that would limit the amount of galaxies with stargates to 36-39. Unless of course each Galaxy had only one entrance point.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not really. If the nine symbol address really is a code then there are trillions of combinations for possible gate ships. Once on that ship you connect to the local network.

I remember back at the start of SG:1, when they found the gate room and Carter declares, "We tried thousands of combinations and none of them worked." You'd think someone as smart as her could figure out the number of possible addresses and realize that a few thousand attempts are like buying one ticket and expecting to win the lottery.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

On another note, has Richard Dean Anderson put on a lot of weight around his face recently or is it just me?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

colmquinn wrote:On another note, has Richard Dean Anderson put on a lot of weight around his face recently or is it just me?
Old age makes people's skin around their chins drop some.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I guess he's not going to be mixing it up with Brata'c anymore.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

colmquinn wrote:On another note, has Richard Dean Anderson put on a lot of weight around his face recently or is it just me?
I noticed that too.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Why was Lou Diamond Phillips hyped as a star of this show? :?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I noticed that, too. I recently finished watching MacGyver, and, man, how much he has changed since then.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Varthikes wrote:
I noticed that, too. I recently finished watching MacGyver, and, man, how much he has changed since then.
It'll happen to you one day too, dude. :twisted:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Nutso wrote:
Varthikes wrote:
It'll happen to you one day too, dude. :twisted:
I have other plans.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You know they haven't perfected that whole carbonite freezing thing yet, right? :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:You know they haven't perfected that whole carbonite freezing thing yet, right? :wink:
That's what you think... I mean uh, what?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I didn't even know Lou Diamond Phillips was IN it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:I didn't even know Lou Diamond Phillips was IN it.
Didn't you WATCH it? :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939