Homeworld

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Homeworld

Post by Monroe »

This seems like one of those games that you either love it or you hate it. I personally love Homeworld, Catacylsm, and Homeworld II. They're amazing games.

Each one is awesome in their own way. From massive never ending fleets of 250+ Capital ships fighting each other in the original, and using Salvage Corvetts to double your fleet almost every level in the single player lol :) Or the mythological connection with the Aeneid. To using Multibeam frigates in Cataclysm and becoming nearly invincible, to Homeworld II's debris fields, light effects, and boarding parties, the games rock. I don't understand why some people think the 3d stuff is confusing. They rock so much. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

But sadly on the homeworld forums they said that no future games would be released since there is a fight over who has the rights to the game and usually when that happens those games stop being made.

So what do you guys think about Homeworld? Any other huge fans out there besides myself?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I've never played it my self. Would everyone in here recommend me to pick this up? Its this the best space fleet battle games out there or is there another I should look into?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I had the first one, but I let a friend borrow it because my system at the time couldn't run it right. Needless to say, I never got it back. It's an amazing game; if I had it now, I'd be playing it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i really like the homeworld series.

i particularly liked cataclysm. the creepy voice they used for the beast was really cool. the borg should have a voice like that.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Aye I love that voice. Puts the Borg to shame.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Collective's 'voice' sounds like something you'd hear on one of those automated calling centers at the utility company. :wink:

" We are the Borg. If you would like to be assimilated in espanol, press 2 now."

then, " Somos el Borg. Preparar ser asimilar."

and, etc.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

lol, so could we defeat the borg with a rotary dial telephone?

"we are sorry, but that selection is not a valid option. please wait as we connect you to a borg drone representative."

and then...

"we are the borg, you may address this drone as seven of nine. how may we help you add your cultural and technological distinctiveness to our own?"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ya'll just weird! :? :shock:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I preferred the first to the second.

My fave (and probably bad) tactic was to use a small amount of Capital Ships rather then lots of small ships or a few midrange ones. I loved taking my mother ship into the heart of the battle and using its big gun. Using a few big ships works well except for those pesky ram ships.

Another thing I liked to do when playing the aliens was to build a massload of Cruise Missiles and send em all in at once. If you're lucky you can take out the enemy Mothership that way,

I remember thinking this game was ripe for a Babylon 5 mod. The physics of the game seemed to match it so well (B5 fighters being able to turn but still keep moving in the same direction, in order to strafe or shoot at a pursuing ship without slowing).
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

There's a ton of mods for Homeworld. Star Wars, Star Trek, I think there is a B5 one, only problem is Homeworld isn't actually supported for mods, just conversions, which aren't as good IMO.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Homeworld is disgustingly moddable. All the ship stats are in plain-text once you open the .big file. It's pretty easy to figure out what's what and create stupid things like Interceptors with lightsabers (super-high-damage ion cannons. Just DON'T LET THEM NEAR YOUR MOTHERSHIP. I found out the hard way that your own weapons will damage your ships on accidental hits.)

It's pretty much an even match between Homeworld and Armada as to which is the more easily modded.