Michael Eddington

Deep Space Nine
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Michael Eddington

Post by Tyyr »

No, he probably would have made a decent line commander. Have him and the Enterprise leading the charge in larger fleet engagements but for the most part just keep him in his ship, don't bother using him for anything strategic or politcal.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote:Which is why Picard would have been useless in the Dominion War.
I'd see Picard being used to show the flag at other empires. Picard is primarily a diplomat, so he can talk to other empires and keep them from trying to grab a piece of the Federation while the Dominion is attacking. Giving him a powerful ship lets him be able to back up his words, just in case.

That would explain his actions in Insurrection, as he is welcoming a new member into the Federation, giving them new technology, and telling them about the war the Federation is involved in on the other side of its territory. All with a smile on his face.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, but it seems kind of a waste to blow a new Sovereign on that duty.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

While diplomacy may have been Picard's strongest suit, he certainly was no slouch tactically... and he's shown both an ability and willingness to command a task group.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It would have been nice to see the E-E beating up Dom ships in those huge fleet actions.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:While diplomacy may have been Picard's strongest suit, he certainly was no slouch tactically... and he's shown both an ability and willingness to command a task group.
Aye. He, at least, seems to understand the concept of "concentrate your firepower", instantly putting him ahead of a number of admirals in terms of tactical ability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, but it seems kind of a waste to blow a new Sovereign on that duty.
It may have been partially down to the fact that he was commanding the Enterprise - Starfleet's morale was taking enough of a hammering as it was without risking loosing her.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Yeah, but it seems kind of a waste to blow a new Sovereign on that duty.
It may have been partially down to the fact that he was commanding the Enterprise - Starfleet's morale was taking enough of a hammering as it was without risking loosing her.
Conversely, knowing the Enterprise was with/behind them may boost their morale.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Conversely, knowing the Enterprise was with/behind them may boost their morale.
For the few ships engaged in the same action, whereas the loss of the E-E would likely have affected morale throughout the fleet.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Conversely, knowing the Enterprise was with/behind them may boost their morale.
For the few ships engaged in the same action, whereas the loss of the E-E would likely have affected morale throughout the fleet.
True, but considering this is the Enterprise: "Captain Berman, engage Character Shield!"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."