How would you survive a Jurassic Park?

Everything else
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: How would you survive a Jurassic Park?

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem with somewhere high... is how to fortify it. The bunker is simple, block the door. You might not get that luck when standing on the top of a glass building.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also a problem with the visitor center is that's where the bulk of the stupid panicking tourists will be. And while its good to be in a small team you don't want to be one of a hundred or two hundred people for the dinos to eat. That said I don't know where else has as much supplies. Maybe one of the lodges ( i love how there's a golf course XD).
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Where did they keep all the live cows before they get winched into the Dinosaur pen at dinner time? Was that area sealed off?

I can think of worse ways of spending a dinosaur siege then having a barbecue.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Monroe wrote:Also a problem with the visitor center is that's where the bulk of the stupid panicking tourists will be. And while its good to be in a small team you don't want to be one of a hundred or two hundred people for the dinos to eat.
I disagree. We only need to hold out for 48 hours right? No way the dinos could eat that many people in that short a time. The herd stradegy could work just fine. Grab up the weapons if possible and get everyone into the inside rooms, ideally places with only one door. Set up some rotating shifts and wait it out. If we keep deep in the building, the T-rex can't get to us, and the raptors and spitters could be handled easily by a shotgun volley or two as they tried to push through the doors. The only real issue will be when the copters come, who gets on the first ride out.
That said I don't know where else has as much supplies. Maybe one of the lodges ( i love how there's a golf course XD).
Well JP was suppose to be Hammond's disney, just with dinosaurs as the incentive to make people fly half-way around the world.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Somehow I think the only real threat is from the Raptor's (being co-located with the centre), likely the bigger predators will be busy chasing down an actual meal. A human is what to a T-Rex, a toothpick?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Somehow I think the only real threat is from the Raptor's (being co-located with the centre), likely the bigger predators will be busy chasing down an actual meal. A human is what to a T-Rex, a toothpick?
Agreed, the raptor's pen being right outside the V center makes them the biggest threat easy.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

So hold them off with some pointy sticks... Unless they are deinonyches, in which case, run somewhere they can't easily get...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Deepcrush wrote:The problem with somewhere high... is how to fortify it. The bunker is simple, block the door. You might not get that luck when standing on the top of a glass building.
You're not dealing with humans or the like. They're animals, bright but still just animals. A best they're going to run into a door to try and knock it down. By being a bit careful with the way you choose a room you can make it pretty much impossible for them to get in. Specifically pick one at right angles to the hall way, no running start. So long as most of the windows have big vertical drops outside the raptors (the only real threat in this scenario) are SOL for getting in the windows. I'd rather fortify a room like that than try and make it across open ground with raptors on the loose.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think an important question is whether or not we're dealing with the film park, or the book park. They're a fair bit different. Particularly when it comes to dealing with the Raptors. In the books they were quite a bit smarter than they were portrayed in the film, and the bars protecting the windows of the Visitor's Centre were thin enough for them to bite through with some work.
Nickswitz wrote:So hold them off with some pointy sticks... Unless they are deinonyches, in which case, run somewhere they can't easily get...
The Raptors were a good bit more like Deinonychus than actual Velociraptors.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If they were velociraptors, they could have been kicked across the compound.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I think an important question is whether or not we're dealing with the film park, or the book park. They're a fair bit different. Particularly when it comes to dealing with the Raptors. In the books they were quite a bit smarter than they were portrayed in the film, and the bars protecting the windows of the Visitor's Centre were thin enough for them to bite through with some work.
Nickswitz wrote:So hold them off with some pointy sticks... Unless they are deinonyches, in which case, run somewhere they can't easily get...
The Raptors were a good bit more like Deinonychus than actual Velociraptors.
I think that it would be based on the book, but that's just my opinion...

And I know the movie ones were NOT Velociraptors, way too big, but the book ones IIRC were much smaller than the movie ones...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I never read the book. :(
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's much better. The film changed quite a lot. Spoilers below!

Hammond dies. He's eaten by a pack of compsognathus after falling down a hill and breaking leg.
Ian Malcom is nowhere near as annoying as his film counterpart, and dies at the end of the book.
There are a few new characters.
The roles of the kids are swapped.
The raptors are far more dangerous and far smarter, and pull off some pretty impressive feats.
There's an entirely new sub-plot involving a freight ship that left the island with some dinosaurs on board.
Muldoon is a complete badass in the book. He complains that Hammond hasn't bought him enough rocket launchers, takes down a T-Rex single handedly, kills half a dozen or so raptors by himself, survives an ambush by raptors and eventualy makes it off Isla Nublar.
The island is carpet-bombed into rubble at the end of the story.
But the military wasn't quick enough, as a number of raptors escape the island and end up in the jungles of South America.
The collapse of the park itself also happens quite differently in the book. It's far more gradual. In the film it's a case of Nedry flipping a switch and all hell breaking loose. In the book it's a case of a number of design and personel fuckups set into motion by Nedry's plotting eventualy doom the park over the course of a couple of days or so.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The book also happens to be, as is typical with earlier Crichton, an informed and well-thought example of true science-based science fiction (or at least mathematics,) while the film is simply a shoot-em-up with dinosaurs for which Sir Richard should be ashamed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, very true.

And don't get me started on The Lost World. The book and film were two completely different stories.