What would it take to beat the Minbari?

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What would it take to beat the Minbari?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:The problem is how do you spark off this civil war?
"Dear Warrior Caste: Yo momma!

- Religious Caste"
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

I think I know a strategy that could be exploited by Earthforce to defeat the Minbari-attacking from the rear. Minbari ships-Tianshi's and Sharlins always leave their afts unguarded, a vulnerable six o'clock. While there is heavy armor there, it doesn't make up for the lack of even one of their neutron cannons to protect this vulnerable area. If Earthforce could 1. hit the enemy and 2. Drop out of hyperspace right in the Minbari's rears, they might have been able to score a few victories.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem is that without a Jump Gate, only the Minbari and First Ones have accurate Jump Point creation. EF could never hope to plan a jump behind the enemy. Even if they did, the Minbari can just turn around.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Deepcrush wrote:The problem is that without a Jump Gate, only the Minbari and First Ones have accurate Jump Point creation. EF could never hope to plan a jump behind the enemy. Even if they did, the Minbari can just turn around.
How long w*ould it take them to turn around though?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not too long, I'd imagine. Even EF ships don't have that big a turning circle, and Minbari vessels are faster and more maneoverable. Factor in the targetting problems and you've probably got a greater chance of hitting one of your own ships sitting on the other side of the battlefield.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I would say the simple fact that most of the Mimbari weapons are foreward firing is a good indication of their manuerving ability. If you have a massive ship that make a 180 in a few seconds, focusing all the guns forward isn't a bad idea, it lets you bring maximum firepower on a given target rather than spreading it around.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's an excellent point. Their designs would seem to suggest high maneouverability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

About the targeting problem: do we know for certain if all the other races have it, isn't possible that the centaury, the vree or someone else are able to pass through the jammers?

Who are the Yolu and what is their superweaponry? and i have never seen those abbai shields, i guess you are talking about games here.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SomosFuga wrote:About the targeting problem: do we know for certain if all the other races have it, isn't possible that the centaury, the vree or someone else are able to pass through the jammers?

Who are the Yolu and what is their superweaponry? and i have never seen those abbai shields, i guess you are talking about games here.
For the targeting, we know that it affects the Earth Force. We can guess that it works on most everyone one of the younger races. This is because even at close range, Centauri ships can't lock onto Minbari ships. However, I haven't seen anyone suffer the effects of system failure that the EF ships have shown. Again, however, this could be due to the early EF ships relying on automated systems which now have manual control systems in newer ships and the other younger races may have already known about this or feared this enough to be prepared for it.

For the shields, I've only ever heard of the Centauri having shields and they treated it as a failure. They equipped them on their Primus Class as a defense against lower power weapons like fighters.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:For the shields, I've only ever heard of the Centauri having shields and they treated it as a failure. They equipped them on their Primus Class as a defense against lower power weapons like fighters.
I caught the episode "Interludes and Examinations" the other day, and the Vorlon ships have what appears to be shields.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Really? I won't say that isn't so but I was under the impression that their hulls were meant to absorb and disperse energy.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Really? I won't say that isn't so but I was under the impression that their hulls were meant to absorb and disperse energy.
One of the Shadow beams strikes an invisible field and spreads out. I'll see if I can find a clip.

I was surprised as well.

Ah, here we are. About 0:37 or so.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Not too long, I'd imagine. Even EF ships don't have that big a turning circle, and Minbari vessels are faster and more maneoverable.
Just take a look at this secuence from "Severed Dreams" EF ships turn around prety fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBX ... re=related
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice. Much faster than I remembered. And the Minbari vessels would probably be able to turn even quicker, I'd imagine.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Nice. Much faster than I remembered. And the Minbari vessels would probably be able to turn even quicker, I'd imagine.
Their very design should allow for it, seeing as they are much shorter, they'd have less rotational momentum to deal with, even before you considered engine strength.