The Dilgar win the Dilgar war...

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Dilgar win the Dilgar war...

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Of course the League and EA were stone cold bastards and confined the Dilgar to their home system till their sun went nova and wiped them out.
Part of the Mongoose Theory is that the Shadows may have caused that. However, if the Dilgar wouldn't have tried to kill everyone. No one would have minded them moving out of their home system.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They pretty much had it coming sure. Just sort of an interesting contrast with Starfleet's method of handling things.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr wrote:They pretty much had it coming sure. Just sort of an interesting contrast with Starfleet's method of handling things.
Well the Federation are kinda like those guys that think violence would go away if all weapons were banned, "oh hey dudes we got rid of all the nukes so we can live in harmony around the hooka. Hey man, what are you doing with that pointy stick?"

The races in B5 are slightly more realistic, if leaning towards assholerly, EA and the League bottling the Dilgar up was pretty harsh as was the League bombing Centari Prime.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

When B5 Universe gets into something, they don't play around with pretend morals. When its time too fight, they go all out!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lighthawk and I have called the Federation the battered wife of the Galaxy, no matter how many times you hit them they still think you mean well and will change.

I like Babylon 5's rendition of humanity. They actually seem human, and the Psi Corps is probably one of the few realistic depictions of normal people trying to deal with telepaths I can recall.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

If the Dilgar had won then the galaxy would have been a far darker place. With the EA in drawn out war the Narn would have been able to get their big ships out in numbers before the Dilgar looked their way.

This is what I don't get about the morals debate, would you rather be morally right and dead or alive and feel a bit guilty afterwards?

This is why I discount any claims of hypocrisy on the part of Star Trek......or any other fictional universe.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Vic wrote:If the Dilgar had won then the galaxy would have been a far darker place. With the EA in drawn out war the Narn would have been able to get their big ships out in numbers before the Dilgar looked their way.
The LoNAW would have been trashed. Both the Narn and the EA would have completed their new Cap ships (G'Quan and Omega). The EA would more then likely come bowling in for payback. The Narn are 50/50 IMO as to if they'd return to the fight or sit it out.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

The Narn seem to be the type to jump in just the opposite way you think they may. They seem to be rather random in this way. I do like the B5 Earth in that reciprocity is still very much in vouge. If you don't put me down I will recoup and come back bigger and badder than before and I WILL put you down. That additude has alot going for it IMO.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Vic wrote:If the Dilgar had won then the galaxy would have been a far darker place. With the EA in drawn out war the Narn would have been able to get their big ships out in numbers before the Dilgar looked their way.

This is what I don't get about the morals debate, would you rather be morally right and dead or alive and feel a bit guilty afterwards?

This is why I discount any claims of hypocrisy on the part of Star Trek......or any other fictional universe.
"I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Maybe I should modify that, the ultimate in self condemnation.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think its important to remember that the statement isn't true of aliens but of humans as well. Both in B5 Universe and in reality.

The Dilgar War was both a bright spot and a stain for the Human race. Its bright in that EF stood up and defeated an enemy that was intent on destroying all life they could. It was a stain that EF didn't get involved for that reason but that EF wanted to test its muscle and couldn't have cared less about the actions of Dilgar. The EF just needed to pick sides and they liked the Dilgar less then they liked the LoNAW.