40k - Gaunt's Ghosts

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

40k - Gaunt's Ghosts

Post by Mikey »

OK, so I finally got my lazy ass in gear and started. I devoured the first two omnibuses (omnibi?) and I have to say, even though these are earlier than Abnett's other 40k work, they cement my opinion of him as far and away the best Black Library author. I read a lot, and it is rare for me to put a book down and still have a lingering emotional reaction. I literally went to bed very upset when
Try Again was murdered,
and cheered when
Kolea's personality was restored.
While I thought some of the supernatural element would detract from the character of the story, I found that Abnett just used it as set dressing, and didn't let it interfere with his storytelling.

So, obviously I'm en route to pick up the last omnibus plus Blood Pact. Anyone have any thoughts on the spin-off novel Double Eagle?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: 40k - Gaunt's Ghosts

Post by Aaron »

Double Eagle is the Battle of Britain in space/the future, so be prepared for that. I enjoyed it, minus the obviously frakked in the head newbie and was happy to get a look at there aircraft. I'm hoping for a similar novel from the perspective of Vulture and Valkyrie crews.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Weren't some of the Pardus tankers from Sabbat Martyr (I think) in it as well?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Gaunt's Ghosts series is great. Abnett's great at creating great characters and really grasps the full scale of 40K nicely.

Be warned, the death toll for the next few books just goes up. Which is another thing I love the series for. Character shields, for the most part, don't exist. It's a war, and characters that we both like and hate die, often in inglorious ways.
Mikey wrote:While I thought some of the supernatural element would detract from the character of the story, I found that Abnett just used it as set dressing, and didn't let it interfere with his storytelling.
Aye, he's good at bringing in the supernatural parts of the universe into play. It's particularly prominent in Only In Death. In which
Soric returns.....and dies. In a rather depressing bit, actualy.
Mikey wrote:So, obviously I'm en route to pick up the last omnibus plus Blood Pact. Anyone have any thoughts on the spin-off novel Double Eagle?
Double Eagle was pretty good. It's basicaly WW2 air combat in a 40K setting. It actualy took me a couple of tries to really start properly reading the book, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. There's also a few minor characters from the GG series that make some small appearances. Including one character who you'll swear is Ayatani Zweil's long lost brother. :lol:

And yeah, Kendall. The new guy (Marcus, or something like that, right?) seemed a little too eager to want to kill someone.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

<em>Rochey</em> wrote:Be warned, the death toll for the next few books just goes up. Which is another thing I love the series for. Character shields, for the most part, don't exist. It's a war, and characters that we both like and hate die, often in inglorious ways.
True - even with the characters that you know have to be around, Abnett convinces you that they might die as easily as anyone else. I won't read the spoiler, because I haven't picked up The Lost omnibus yet, but I know at least of Larkin's injury and how Hark "helps" Soric when they meet again.

BTW, how great of a character is Hlaine Larkin?

On another note, am I correct in thinking that the original Tanith are based on Scottish regiments?
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Weren't some of the Pardus tankers from Sabbat Martyr (I think) in it as well?
I'm not sure, I never really got into the Ghost series. I find Gaunt to dour, should have read him before Cain.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, not a good idea to jump from the Cain series to a more dark series.
Mikey wrote: True - even with the characters that you know have to be around, Abnett convinces you that they might die as easily as anyone else. I won't read the spoiler, because I haven't picked up The Lost omnibus yet, but I know at least of Larkin's injury and how Hark "helps" Soric when they meet again.
Yeah, he's very good at making everyone seem all too mortal. I won't say which book it was (you'll know when you hit it), but I was honestly convinced Gaunt was truly dead at one point.

As for Soric's re-appearance......well, let's just say that it's one seriously depressing scene.
Mikey wrote:BTW, how great of a character is Hlaine Larkin?
Larkin is indeed awesome. :)
Mikey wrote:On another note, am I correct in thinking that the original Tanith are based on Scottish regiments?
Dunno. There's certainly some similarities, but not enough to determine conclusively whether or not Abnett drew more than vague influence from them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Dunno. There's certainly some similarities, but not enough to determine conclusively whether or not Abnett drew more than vague influence from them.
The blue tattoos, the "ruffian" image they have when viewed by regiments like the Bluebloods, and the surnames (Mkoll, MkVenner, etc.) - along with the use of bagpipes! - kind of gave me that impression.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I got the impression that his inspiration was the Rifle Regiments but they use pipes IIRC as well. He probably smashed a couple different inspirations together.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, I just got His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt, and Only in Death. (And read them all in four days. :lol:) I haven't gotten Blood Pact yet - I'm hoping for a softcover soon. Here's my question: does anyone know how to get their hands on a copy of The Iron Star? I know it was only released as a chapbook for a GW promotional day, and I think only 1200 copies were pressed. I can't find it anywhere.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Odd, you'd think someone would have scanned it and uploaded it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given GW's fanatical opposition to even fan made websites, I don't find it at all surprising that it can't be found.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:OK, I just got His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt, and [/i]Only in Death.[/i] (And read them all in four days. :lol:) I haven't gotten Blood Pact yet - I'm hoping for a softcover soon. Here's my question: does anyone know how to get their hands on a copy of The Iron Star? I know it was only released as a chapbook for a GW promotional day, and I think only 1200 copies were pressed. I can't find it anywhere.
I have a friend on another board that might have it/know where too, I'll ask.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm - update. Apparently, Traitor General, His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt, and The Iron Star have been released as an omnibus in March... and even better, word is that Abnett's working on a new novel: rumor has the working title as Salvation Reach. Anybody else hear anything?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If it's true, then I am very very very very very eagerly anticipating it.

My school's new librarian is interested in updating the stock of the black library....OH YEAH!