The Battle of the Line...

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Battle of the Line...

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

We know there were 20,000 humans participating in the battle, but doesn't that seen a little low? Its the last defense of Earth. Shouldn't 200,000 or even 2,000,000 have been marshalled for the defense?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Battle of the Line...

Post by Aaron »

That's likely just the number of crew on the ships and fighters, not those in any planetary defences. B5 was a little light on the size of fleets and crews.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The battle of the line had some 20,000 ships. Anywhere from one to two thousand of them were capital ships. The rest were fighters and shuttles.

B5 was never really light on the numbers of ships. Remember that each race had only a single home world, not dozens or hundreds like SW or ST. Also remember that by the Battle of the Line the EA had been on the worst end of a very costly war for the last two years.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Is the actual quote 20,000 people or 20,000 ships?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ships, Sinclair said that only about 200 ships survived the battle which would mean that almost no one would have died if it was only 20,000 people.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

In "Late delivery from Avalon", Dr Franklin says that "20'000 of our best went in, and a little over 200 survived". It always sounded to me like he was talking about people, not ships.

Can I ask what episode Sinclair stated that 200 ships, survived, I have them all to hand atm.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:In "Late delivery from Avalon", Dr Franklin says that "20'000 of our best went in, and a little over 200 survived". It always sounded to me like he was talking about people, not ships.
That's what I got out of it as well.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I googled the quote, and it seems there's some pretty - shall we say "heated" debate about the subject elsewhere on the net. If you think we're bad behaved sometimes you should read some of those boards.
Last edited by kostmayer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Got any links?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Ugh, Spacebattles.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The whole "Only two hundred" thing counting people wouldn't make sense since a Nova Class has more crew then that. Not to mention that we have more then one Earth Cruiser surviving which has a crew around that number.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

kostmayer wrote:I googled the quote, and it seems there's some pretty - shall we say "heated" debate about the subject elsewhere on the net. If you think we're bad behaved sometimes you should read some of those boards.
Damn right. Even the most totaly out of it Trek or Wars fans are nothing compared to the worst of the Babylon 5 fans.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm going to have too disagree with that one Rochey. IMO, SW and ST fans tend to take the cake on crazy.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Damn right. Even the most totaly out of it Trek or Wars fans are nothing compared to the worst of the Babylon 5 fans.
You're getting awful close to versus territory there, Rochey. :wink:

:P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939