Rome Total War!

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

As for the greeks, you're right that they suck on the attack. The best way to use them is hoplites in front and side with a lot a missile troops in the center. Even the best roman troops have some trouble with hoplites. If your missle troops are mounted then all the better as you can have your army move and shoot at the same time. Still the greeks are best at siege and defense, both of which can cut down on the moble combat.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ugh, I hate using hoplite infantry with a passion. They're the complete oposite to my strategy style.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But they will own any other nation that is using hoplites or phalanx. SPARTANS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: TO NIGHT! WE DINE IN HELL! :twisted:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah I wanted a challenge when I picked the Greeks. Challenge being actually beatable :P I guess I could have picked Dacia or Parthia but I seriously doubt my ability to win with those :P

Unfortantly I installed the crappy expansion and now cant get to the normal stuff without reinstalling everything :(
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, using them is tough but if you fight as the greeks then go after the romans first before they get any powerful leigon troops. After then, turn east and hit everything to the dardanelles. Cut of asia minor from europe and you're free to conquer the rest at will. The hordes are very poor for breaking hoplite lines and you can use that to go after them after you take out the tougher enemies at the start of the game. They have a different play style then most.

Greeks are like the brits and gauls. They need to win as many battles as possible right at the get go. They are rush armies, turn out as many hoplites as you can and just charge in. Most other armies need sometime to build up and max out.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Have any of you guys tried the Barbarian Invasion expansion?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I beat it as the Huns. Was very difficult as the money making areas have changed and I didn't really know where to. I tried as the Eastern Roman Empire but I wasn't really liking the units or the crappy state of their territory. Reminded me of the Gauls which I never really liked to play in the original game.
I'm kind of tempted to try as the Franks or Saxons but I'm really wanting to uninstall Barbarian Invasion so I can play the original game again.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm playing "BI" now as the Western Roman Empire and played as the Saxons before. As to money, take italy and britain as they both have stable populations which grow very fast. Watch out for the huns as they are a pain to deal with!
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:I'm playing "BI" now as the Western Roman Empire and played as the Saxons before. As to money, take italy and britain as they both have stable populations which grow very fast. Watch out for the huns as they are a pain to deal with!
They're a real pain to be too. Nothing is more annoying than being the first generation migratory barbarian people (which is what you are no matter which barbarians you pick I think). No sooner do you carve out an empire for yourself than the Lombardi come by or the Slovs or whatever. I remember battles where I would kill 12k men and still they had 9 more armies in my territory.

I guess I could have kept migrating until I hit Italy and took that over like you suggested.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I hardly ever play as barbarian tribes, myself. I prefer the more civilised nations. :)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

An Irishman playing a civilized country? Now I've heard almost everything! Next thing will be you're telling me that the Klingons will sign peace with the Romulans and become good old buddies!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

An Irishman playing a civilized country? Now I've heard almost everything!
Well, they do say that opposites attract. :wink:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, just for that I'll have to kill you! :chopper: