Terran defence

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Terran defence

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Or that he thought they were. Whose to say he had any clue how strong they were, he may have just wanted them in case they were too strong against his ship.
It's also possible that the "subspace protection grid" (or whatever he said) is some sort of IFF grid. Each ship has some sort of say "subspace transponder" and what he wanted was the Friendly IFF frequency?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I chalk it up to Nero being cautious. In any conflict (from a fistfight on up to a world war), you want to have every advantage you can get, regardless of how powerful you are.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:Remember this same ship plowed through 47 Klingon warships with no noticable effect
And? We have no evidence whatsoever of the strength of Earth's defences. If it's designed to hold off thousands of Klingon ships, then the ability to go through 47 (of unknown type) isn't very impressive.

Plus, of course, we have the fact that Nero was rather keen to get his hands on the codes, suggesting that the defences were indeed strong enough to pose a threat to the Nerada.

My thought is that just didn't want to take the time. After all, we see no evidence that he snuck past Vulcans defenses. As for the rest, thats pure conjecture. We don't know how easy it was for the Narada to defeat that many ships. We DON'T know there strengeth, but it wouln't be unrealistic to assume they had a military buildup to match Starfleets, would it?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We didn't see any evidence of the remains of any Vulcan defenses to have defeated. The only defenses around Vulcan that we saw were the cries for help for Starfleet to send ships.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...The only defenses around Vulcan that we saw were the cries for help for Starfleet to send ships.
And it worked out great.

...Oh, right...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I didn't say it worked, I said that's the way it was.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that it didn't seem to be a very good plan. :lol:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:We didn't see any evidence of the remains of any Vulcan defenses to have defeated. The only defenses around Vulcan that we saw were the cries for help for Starfleet to send ships.
Don't forget the big saucer the neoE clipped - none of the ships we saw were big enough for it to be one of them, so it could well have been a Vulcan orbital station.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You know that "giant saucer" isn't actually that giant. It's about the same size as the Enterprise's saucer.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...