SG1-season 1

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SG1-season 1

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's because Trek was trying to show us humans that, to all intents and purposes, weren't human. At least, not in the sense that they had ideals, beliefs and traits we could identify with.
SG-1 was pretty much just average humans dealing with suddenly having the entire galaxy opened up to them, and their reactions were plausable.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Discussion on Star Trek morality split to here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I started yesterday (didn't feel too much like company), and I HAD to shut it off after learning Tel'c has a wife and kid (NOBODY TOLD ME THE PILOT HAD FULL FRONTAL NUDITY!!!). Well, looks like I'm hooked. Nice to see human tech being reliable for a change, and the iris on the Stargate was a nice and refreshing bit of common sense for a change. If only Starfleet Command would send some people down for "training" 8)

I'll have to go and grab seasons two and three next payday.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In a refreshing change for sci-fi, the humans in this show are actualy competant.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:In a refreshing change for sci-fi, the humans in this show are actualy competant.
Right. They're never made to look stupid in order to make the enemy look superior; instead, the enemy is just made to look superior regardless of the SGC's skill and ability.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, stupid question but one I've had for a while. If the initializing "flush" of the Stargate can obliterate any matter that gets caught in it how does the iris survive?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's just that awesome.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Tyyr wrote:Ok, stupid question but one I've had for a while. If the initializing "flush" of the Stargate can obliterate any matter that gets caught in it how does the iris survive?
Maybe its made from the same material that the gate itself is made from and so is designed/ able to contain the wormhole
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Doubtful. It appeared in the pilot, where the SGC hadn't been doing any offworld mineral gathering. And the Iris itself was made by the SGC, so it must have been made with Earth materials.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Rochey wrote:Doubtful. It appeared in the pilot, where the SGC hadn't been doing any offworld mineral gathering. And the Iris itself was made by the SGC, so it must have been made with Earth materials.
Ah well there goes a sensible idea out the window :wave:
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Ok, stupid question but one I've had for a while. If the initializing "flush" of the Stargate can obliterate any matter that gets caught in it how does the iris survive?
The principle behind it is that it's too close to the wormhole for the matter stream to rematerialise. The same principle may prevent the kawoosh from forming.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I got the matter stream, the flush didn't seem like it was something you could stop from happening. Ya know, I don't recall anything ever being said about the iris even after they used the flush a few times to destroy things.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
The principle behind it is that it's too close to the wormhole for the matter stream to rematerialise. The same principle may prevent the kawoosh from forming.
Yeah they explain it in several episodes when they have to dig a gate out.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:Well, I started yesterday (didn't feel too much like company), and I HAD to shut it off after learning Tel'c has a wife and kid (NOBODY TOLD ME THE PILOT HAD FULL FRONTAL NUDITY!!!). Well, looks like I'm hooked. Nice to see human tech being reliable for a change, and the iris on the Stargate was a nice and refreshing bit of common sense for a change. If only Starfleet Command would send some people down for "training" 8)

I'll have to go and grab seasons two and three next payday.
In a followup post........I couldn't wait. Seasons 2 and 3 are on my shelf.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I've finished season one with a burning question, why did SG 1 abandon so many potential weapons and tech? Seems a couple of episodes they could have brought back items (even if non functional) that could maybe have been reverse engineered.