SG1-season 1

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SG1-season 1

Post by Mark »

Well, I've decided to give this show a try. Picked up season one for about $13 bucks......if I like it, I can get some more for a similar price. Am I gonna be happy with it? I've seen a couple of episodes and it was pretty cool, I'm talking about the overall story arc.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: SG1-season 1

Post by Monroe »

Better than half the Trek series'. Actually... I think I'd only put ENT above it... that's not meant to scare you away by the way.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

...you're saying things but you're not making any sense.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Its def worth watching.
Did you see the movie stargate? you don't need to have but it does kinda introduce you to the idea and plus it has kurt russell bein cool which is always good.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I'd advise watching the movie first. It sets up the mythology and main villains of the whole show pretty nicely.

Oh, and yes, you'll love it. It's awesome.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

After recently watching the first 3 seasons, I understand why it ran for 10 years. It's awesome. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The girl who's mom owns the used book and video store has a thing for me. She gives me a discount when I go in....and she said if I like it, she'll give me a deal on the rest of the seasons they've got.

And I DO remember the movie. The the TV characters supposed to be the same as the movie characters?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, though there is a joke in an early episode about a different O'Neil (with one 'l') having no sense of humor.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

My marathon starts tomorrow. The same trip got me Heroes season one also......anybody have opinions?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:My marathon starts tomorrow. The same trip got me Heroes season one also......anybody have opinions?
About Heroes? I love it. The third X-Men movie looks like an even bigger pile of crap after you see how well a TV show can pull off a superhero story.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, the girl with the thing for me said it was a good deal.......$12 bucks for the whole season. How could I not check it out?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It is consistantly good with quite a few brilliant moments. It never hit the lows Trek did.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even the poorest episodes of the last season or two never reached the lows that Trek did. And I'd be hard pressed to choose between whether the best of Trek beats the best of SG-1. And I don't think Trek could ever come even close to it in terms of comedy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...And I don't think Trek could ever come even close to it in terms of comedy.
That episode was awesome. :lol:

And, I agree.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

SG1 was slick and almost believable, while maintaining that air of sci-fi. It did away with overused Technobabble, but still had detailed explanations bout stuff. And above all else, it seemed human. A lot of trek's characters seem somehow...artificial.