Ancients

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Ancients

Post by Monroe »

So is it just me or were they a much better race and plot device before they spoke? Back when they were so mysterious and what not. Sure we met one on Antartica but she was quiet and still had that mysterious sage aura about her. When Daniel was given the option to Ascend again they were at a freaking diner. The mysteriousness had vanished. Same when Weir traveled back in time they were arrogant and in a council. The writers made them too recognizable. At best you could say they were like Super Man's world. At worse they seemed just like normal humans. Their race created all live in the Pegasus Galaxy and most(?) in the Milky Way. I just think its really lame that they've been humanized so much. I'm only at the end of season 1 of Atlantis and the beginning of Season 9 of Stargate SG: 1 but the whole mysteriousness of the Ancients is already gone.

Anyone else feel that way about them?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ancients

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Pretty much. I'd have preferred them to be left vague and mysterious.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It always happens, the more you use something the less cool they become, ala Borg.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I'm not sure. If the Borg had stayed vague and never had a Queen then they would have bee cooler much much much longer.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Borg, as they were originally written, were impossible to use more than once or twice.

They were powerful and unstoppable, the more you use them the less like that they are.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye. Plus they have more presence if they only appear once or twice.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Aye. Plus they have more presence if they only appear once or twice.
That's probably why I still think the Sheliak are awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Rochey wrote:Aye. Plus they have more presence if they only appear once or twice.
That's probably why I still think the Sheliak are awesome.
Same with the Aschen and Quezlquatle's race. I want to know more about those :D

-Remain Star Trek-
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. I think the Ancients were too humanized by the time the end of Atlantis. But I still liked the idea, though I'd rather like them to be not so arrogant.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I wanted the Ori to start wiping out those Ascended a-holes. That'll teach them to sit on their fat asses while their ancient enemies gain in strength.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nutso wrote:I wanted the Ori to start wiping out those Ascended a-holes. That'll teach them to sit on their fat asses while their ancient enemies gain in strength.
Yeah, it would've been great if they'd been mostly wiped out... and then the Ori get wiped out as well.