You're President when the Gate is activated...

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

You're President when the Gate is activated...

Post by Monroe »

Another 'You do blah' thread. You're the president of the United States and in possession of the gate. What is your security safeties setup, people you send if any, responses to alien thread, do you tell the public etc.

I think most things about SGC I'd keep. Its a fairly secured compound after all. The biggest difference though is once the Jaffa become Free I would tell the public. I would also get more cross national help with the Stargate Program. Start having teams from other close NATO countries. I would try to keep China out of the loop and Russia until they found the gate in the ocean. In which case I would point out its our gate they found. :P

I never understood why the Stargate Program wasn't revealed to the public.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: You're President when the Gate is activated...

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably worried about mass hysteria. And the inevitable bitching over the fact that it's the US that decides how human relations go with alien races. To be honest I'd probably keep it quiet, too.

Like you, I'd keep it mostly the same. SGC is actualy a fairly competant organisation. I'd probably try and recruit more personel into it, and boost the team numbers up from 4 to 8, to increase their chances of survival. Perhaps work on some sort of ground vehicle that can fit through the gate (couple of Humvees?) to allow teams to cover ground faster. Other than that, not much I can think of.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah they do seem to do a lot of walking after leaving the Stargate. A fix for that would be a good idea.

Eventually though the existence of the Stargate would have to be revealed. Seems like once the Goa'uld are under control that would be the best time. I think they even said they would tell the public that once the Goa'uld were defeated.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Aside from the size of the teams, 4 seems a tad small, SGC seems to be fairly on top of things.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

A team of 4 is easy to hide and not a big loss.

I'd just have more of them, more teams that is.

But basically I like the way they handled it. Although I would of had a nuke placed over the SG as a last resort. Sure it wont destroy the gate but it will bury it and make anyone who manages to come through pretty sick.

But I agree with Rochey, avoid the hysteria, keep it quite.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

For the most part I agree with keeping the SGC a quiet operation. I'd like to bring in more countries for the program. Both for extra man power and money. When the first personnel were picked they did a good job. No politics, no pissing about splitting power up. They gave one highly trusted and able man the power to act and then gave him the people he said he needed.

Agreed with Teaos on the team size. A team of 4 is fine by me. That means that those teams will be highly skilled in working together. Also agreed with Teaos is that the best way to go is just have more teams.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...Also agreed with Teaos is that the best way to go is just have more teams.
In the series, if more manpower was needed, they just sent multiple teams. Seems logical to me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I guess that'd work. 4 just seems too small to me, but then I guess they're not supposed to be getting into firefights.

Teaos: The SGC already has some sort of self-destruct system that'd collapse Cheyenne Mountain.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but not a nuke. Nukes always make it better.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I still think 4 is a tad on the small size myself. It's hard to break down the group without diluting yourselves completely. One unlucky hit can take out a lot of your specialized knowledge. I just seems to me that a group of 8 leaves you a lot better off in most situations.

I kind of wonder about that self destruct nuke in Cheyenne Mountain. Since naquda, or whatever you call the gate material, amplifies the destructive potential of nukes and since they not only have the gate but a ton of other g'ould tech all over the place in that facility, I hope that bomb is just a small one.

I'm pretty sure it's a nuke too.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Gate would have survived a nuke strike. In ATL Beachhead they hit the gate with a gigaton nuclear weapon and all it did was melt the edges.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, hence your best bet is simply burrying the gate beneath the rubble of Cheyenne Mountain than blowing the whole thing into the air.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Course knowing that the gate would survive a nuclear hit would probably be OOU knowledge maybe a backup nuclear weapon self destruct isn't a bad idea. Also maybe a place a little more remote would work better. Say a nice island in the Pacific.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm pretty certain we've seen multiple instances of gate material making nukes worse. The mirror universe show, it's how they vaporized Chu'lak. They sent a nuke through that detonated beside the gate on the other end. The detonation combined with the gate material wiped out most life on the planet.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Monroe wrote:Gate would have survived a nuke strike. In ATL Beachhead they hit the gate with a gigaton nuclear weapon and all it did was melt the edges.
Correction, an 812 Gigaton Nuclear Weapon. I used SDN's Nuclear Explosion calculator to find out big of an explosion would be needed to created a fireball with a 100 mile blast radius.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.