RSS

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Primefalcon
Petty officer first class

RSS

Post by Primefalcon »

I keep getting an error in my rss client about the ditl rss feed from my rss client. I checked into your code on your rss page http://ditl.org/news2rss.php

and on line 67 you have

Code: Select all

<description>We're also holding the "How did you like the movie&quot...</description>
it's actually a simple error to fix you simply forgot the semi colon after the second quote, but XML is a very strict langauge entity it should be

<description>We're also holding the "How did you like the movie"...</description>
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RSS

Post by IanKennedy »

Primefalcon wrote:I keep getting an error in my rss client about the ditl rss feed from my rss client. I checked into your code on your rss page http://ditl.org/news2rss.php

and on line 67 you have

<description>We're also holding the "How did you like the movie&quot...</description>
it's actually a simple error to fix you simply forgot the semi colon after the second quote, but XML is a very strict langauge entity it should be

<description>We're also holding the "How did you like the movie"...</description>
Actually it's not quite that simple. The text for the news feed is automatically generated from our what's new system. It is truncated to a fixed length, in order to fit the standard for RSS news items; the issue is if I simply make it 1 character longer I can still end up cutting an item like this one. The trick is to turn things like &quote; into " before truncating and then change them back to &quote; afterwards. Anyway, it should now be fixed.
email, ergo spam
Primefalcon

Re: RSS

Post by Primefalcon »

I figured you must of either wrte it up manually in xml and have php parse using either (php expat or simpleXML) that for both the front page content as well the RSS feed or you probably just write it up in a editor like this form exist custom designed and have php save that to a mysql database, and then generate the front page content as well as the rss feed from that....

From what your saying I am assuming your using the second method, and your probably running htmlentities() and using string replace to turn them back, obviously no point trying to talk you into change your style to echoing the whole news post in RSS is there?

Glad you got it fixed definitely though, since RSS is XML, and XML being so strict is was blocking your whole feed from working