Calling all Computer Nerds- Need help!

Important stuff, please read before posting
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Calling all Computer Nerds- Need help!

Post by Monroe »

Okay so I brought a brand new Logitech headset. I was really excited cause it had a rubber cord so no more twisting and breaking like the stupid plastic ones. Well I plugged it in and it worked fine, I was able to use either my speakers or my headset depending on the program. Then I went to restart my computer the next day and I lost all sound on everything I couldn't manually select USB headset device. Which was mainly only World of Warcraft and Ventrillio.

So I was trying to fix the problem by going into volume control and setting my default sound system. Only problem is I couldn't find Volume Control. Instead I had Realtek, the audio program that came with my speakers I assume. I was able to get sound from my speakers in the test speaker option of the Realtek mixer but when I attempted to run volume control by using the short cut it says there's no active mixer devices available.

And to make matters worse my internet has been flipping on and off lately so I couldn't surf the net for help. But I decided hey maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall (Once my net is working again) my drivers. So I uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111, which was my sound card driver. With the idea that I'd reinstall them once my net came up.

Well I downloaded both, and installed both, and neither appear in my control panel or my add / remove programs. So now I feel even more fucked. Anyone have any ideas? My next course of action I was thinking was to try to find the volume control program somewhere. The damn headset is USB they're suppose to be able to be plugged in without screwing up the system ugh.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Calling all Computer Nerds- Need help!

Post by thelordharry »

Plug and play huh? Tsssss :bangwall:

In 'device manager' does the appropriate hardware appear and if so, does it appear to be installed correctly (and enabled)?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

thelordharry wrote:Plug and play huh? Tsssss :bangwall:

In 'device manager' does the appropriate hardware appear and if so, does it appear to be installed correctly (and enabled)?
Yeah. After some more investigating it appears that a PCI slot was uninstalled by plugging in my headphones. The PCI slot I assume is my sound card even though its integrated.
So I guess I need to reinstall an integrated sound card driver. But until now my net had only been on briefly so I haven't had a chance to do that now. Great time for the net to go down when my sound goes down.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

BTW realtek audio is a surround sound audio emulated I believe. It changes the speaker defenitions to make them sound like they are in different environments. But the regular sound thing should still be there. That's odd that it isn't.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Nickswitz wrote:BTW realtek audio is a surround sound audio emulated I believe. It changes the speaker defenitions to make them sound like they are in different environments. But the regular sound thing should still be there. That's odd that it isn't.
Yeah I can't find it anywhere on my computer. /blame Logitech. I shouldn't have went with them. Never got their stupid webcam to work properly either.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

lol, I've actually found Logitech to be quite reliable, but, I guess I'm just lucky.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've never had any real problems with Logitech gear either.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Neither have I, but we've always recommended Creative hardware.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I've always had good luck with Logitech gear.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Okay figured out my problem
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Windows-XP-3 ... issing.htm

BUT I need the Windows XP disk. Which I can't see myself getting until like the 7th. Ugh! That's like 3 weeks without any sound besides WoW *bangs head*

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I figured it out!!!! woohoo

http://www.pchell.com/support/no_active ... able.shtml

yay
yay
woot
woot
sweet. Now I can listen to pr0n- I mean music and watch TV again.

-Remain Star Trek-