What would YOU do to make Enterprise?

Enterprise
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: What would YOU do to make Enterprise?

Post by stitch626 »

Mark wrote:They should have included hot bunking as well. That could have played nicely into the cramped lifestyle and led to some interesting character development points as well.
Ok, I don't know everything... what is hot bunking?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:
Mark wrote:They should have included hot bunking as well. That could have played nicely into the cramped lifestyle and led to some interesting character development points as well.
IIRC, it's when you share your bunk with someone else, who comes on duty as you go to sleep.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
stitch626 wrote:
IIRC, it's when you share your bunk with someone else, who comes on duty as you go to sleep.
Ah ok. That makes more sense than what I thought it meant. And if you wonder what I was thinking, remember that Mark was the one who said it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What have we done to Stitch? :lol:

Yeah, in general I agree that the ambience of ENT should have been more in line with Das Boot than The Love Boat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One aspect I've never really posted about with my Coalition stuff is the living quarters. In some eras of space travel, they have crew in hammocks. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:One aspect I've never really posted about with my Coalition stuff is the living quarters. In some eras of space travel, they have crew in hammocks. :)
Which, in fact, makes as much sense as it did in the Age of Sail.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And a hammock makes for a hell of a nap.

Not that great long term though.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Be great for maximising on space, though. Which is exactly what a starship would need.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Definitely, the space required to bring along a chiropractor is nothing compared to what you'd save.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hammocks strung up near your work station is pretty much how crews have lived in Navy ships up until 30 or 40 years ago. It saves space and resources, it lets you bunk crew near their workplace so you don't waste time traversing through half the ship when an alert sounds. Not great in terms of crew comfort and privacy, but people can put up with a surprising amount when they have to.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:...but people can put up with a surprising amount when they have to.
I can vouch for that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's why the "but the crew must all have king-sized hotel apartments or they'll be mentaly crippled!" crowd annoy me so much. Yeah, they'll be happier with the hotel room, who wouldn't? But the simple fact is that humans can tolerate shit conditions without any severe mental problems.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...fact is that humans can tolerate s**t conditions without any severe mental problems.
Define "severe". :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In this case - sleeping in a hammock, or hotbunking, or whatever - for a berth for which you voluntarily enlisted - instead of living in a suite from the Plaza.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Look at how the average U-Boat crew lived in WWII. Filthy conditions, virtually no chance to wash or clean yourself, crammed into spaces between the machines, foul air, terrible food, no privacy, etc etc. Not only did they endure it for months on end, their ability to take it and still function was a source of pride that helped to actually build morale.