"WhiteSpace, Part II"

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

"WhiteSpace, Part II"

Post by Varthikes »

Since the story is getting rather long, I thought it would be best if I split it into two parts.

Part I

==========================

XI

O
NE MOMENT, Varthikes was immersed in a watery world, the pressure of a great amount of water all around him. He continued diving, one eye on the shadow of the boat resting on the surface; the other intent on an area of the sea below it. The area looked just like any other area. But, hidden down there was a portal to another world in another time and Universe. He spotted the aqua-probe that Doctor Mirlleeta had deployed. If he had any doubt whether he was swimming in the right direction, it was now gone. He swept his wings and legs back, now moving forward with renewed confidence. He would go through to Pern, find Remiphing and Amity, and return to Draconia.

As he picked up speed, he saw the aqua-probe being drawn in as if it had been grabbed by an invisible claw. He felt that invisible claw grab hold of him as well. He stopped moving his legs and wings to find himself being pulled in. The probe disappeared in a flash of white. A moment later, he, too, was swallowed up by white...

Now, as soon as his vision cleared, he found himself surrounded by darkness and warm air blew around his wet scales. He was falling! At once, he opened his wings and pumped them to control his descent. Fortunate was it that he had not allowed Audwin to go, he reflected as he leveled out. Now that he had the air currents beneath his wings, he took a better look at his new surroundings. It was not complete darkness, he discovered. He found stars and two moons shining above him.

He lowered his eyes, now glowing in the night, to the land. He was flying over a plain and scattered forests. To his right, mountains; to his left, an ocean. Where on Pern was he?

He flew onward, flying just low enough to see through to the forest floor, and soon came to a river flowing toward the ocean. On the other side of the river, a small chain of mountains rose. Volcanoes, he corrected, as he saw the two broken peaks. He beat his wings, climbing above the lower peaks. He rode the currents over them.

The mountains suddenly pulled back from his view. Resting at the base of the mountains, he spotted a Human settlement-a settlement similar to Hatching. For a fearful moment, Varthikes wondered if perhaps he was sent to a different world other than Pern. But, then, on a nearby ridge, he saw eyes glowing in the night that unmistakably belonged to Pernese dragons.

He made out four sets of eyes turning up toward him. The action was immediately followed by a choir of bugles. Who flies here? they asked.

Varthikes lifted his right wing and began his spiral descent to join them. Greetings, he answered with a responding bellow. I am Varthikes.

Varthikes?
one of them echoed.

Varthikes threw his wings in a braking downstroke and set down on the ridge with his Pernese counterparts. Present was a bronze about the same size as him, a smaller bronze-whose color seemed to be fading with age-a brown that was about equal in size to the smaller bronze, and a green that was the smallest of them all. And, there was a man with the green-her rider, he presumed-from whom he sensed a great deal of confusion. The one who had echoed his name was the brown.

That is not a dragon name, the smaller bronze said, tilting his head in puzzlement. And, you are a strange dragon. What queen hatched you?

I am not of this world,
Varthikes explained, as he struggled to identify these dragons. What are your names?

The dragons each introduced themselves in turn. The larger bronze was Mnementh, the smaller was Tiroth, the brown was Esoth, and the green was Sarath.

May I ask your name? he asked the man, who suddenly realized that he was staring at Varthikes' strange form.

L'for, he answered hesitantly.

Greetings, L'for. Varthikes bowed his head respectfully to him.

You are from the same world as Remiphing and Amity, Esoth noted once the introductions were done.

I am! he responded, barely able to contain his excitement for having located the two girls. They are here?

Amity is down there with E'war my rider.
Esoth turned his head down toward the settlement.

Varthikes followed his eyes. Five Humans were emerging from one of the buildings-the one leading them a child. Uncle Varth? he heard a familiar thought-voice ask his name.

Amity! Varthikes trumpeted joyfully as he sprung from the ridge. He opened his wings and dove toward them.

Several minutes had passed since the dragons had reacted to Gaderath's disappearance. F'lar and E'war had been seated in a couple of chairs that were in the room, each been given a cup of soothing klah. "T'lion and Gaderath are now believed to be on the world from which young Amity has come?" Aivas inquired.

"It is most likely," E'war answered with a nod.

Robinton turned his eyes on Amity. "How did you know what it was their dragons were sensing?"

Amity looked back at him. The Master's expression looked reprimanding, but a feel of his mind revealed that he was merely curious. Still, she hesitated in her answer. "It's okay, Amity," E'war said encouraging. She turned to see both dragonriders looking at her-F'lar with a confused expression. "You can tell them," E'war added.

"Tell us what?" F'lar asked.

"Young Amity here," Robinton told him, "knew that your dragons couldn't sense Gaderath anymore. She knew before you said anything about it."

"How?"

Taking a deep breath, she told them what she had told E'war back at the Weyr. Just as she finished, a choir of bugles sounded. There was a moment of silence, while the dragonriders listened to a voice only they could hear. Amity's attention was on them. Robinton waited, managing to hold fast his patience as he endured the suspense. A tad bit jealous that this girl from another world was able to sense what was happening.

"What is happening?" Aivas inquired.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering that," Robinton commented, glancing favorably at the AI's monitor. He looked back at Amity in time to see her eyebrows rise and her face split in a huge grin.

"What did Mnementh say?" F'lar quizzed her.

"Varthikes!" she exclaimed instantly. At once, she rushed out of the room, barely able to get the door open fast enough, and raced down the hall.

F'lar and E'war exchanged incredulous looks. "That's incredible," the former commented just before the two stood to follow the young girl.

"Excuse us, Aivas," Robinton said apologetically before going after the three of them.

"What's the matter?" D'ram asked as they rushed past him. "Who's this Varthikes?"

"It might be easier to show you," Amity heard F'lar tell him as she emerged from the building into the night.

As soon as she was clear, she looked up toward where the dragons were. She recognized the golden eyes turning toward her. "Uncle Varth?"

Amity! came the response, accompanied by a joyful bugle. The dragon with the golden eyes launched himself from the ridge and dove toward them. Amity returned the joyful cries.

"By Faranth," D'ram was heard mumbling. "How on Pern was a dragon like that hatched?"

"I'd be willing to bet a good vintage of Benden wine that that dragon didn't hatch on Pern," Robinton told him. "And, that it has something to do with that contraption F'lar brought in."

Whatever D'ram was about to say in response was lost in the wind caused by Varthikes' backwinging. All five of them raised an arm to protect their eyes from the wind and dust while the Draconian set down. As soon as she lowered her arm, Amity rushed forward.

Varthikes lowered his head to her level, allowing her to hug his nose. Varthikes, his eyelids drooping, crooned and sent a warm wave of affection to wash over her. Most delighted am I to find you, dear Amity. He pulled back, and Amity released him. His eyes glowing in the night now met hers. Where is Remiphing?

"She's at the Weyr," she answered. Pointing back at F'lar and E'war, she added, "They said she wasn't allowed to leave there."

Varthikes lifted his head slightly, turning his eyes toward the dragonriders. Honorable Weyrleader F'lar, friend E'war, he bowed his head respectfully, much joy is it to see you both again.

"You as well, Varthikes," F'lar said. "Is Audwin here with you?"

He is not. For reasons which are complicated. He turned his attention to the two older Humans and asked their names. Upon hearing the Draconian's thought-voice, both turned surprised expressions to F'lar and E'war. The latter explained and proceeded to introduce them to Varthikes, whose head shot up in his own surprise. Then, bowing his great head once again, he said, Truly honored am I to meet you both, honorable Master Robinton, honorable D'ram.

"Likewise," Robinton replied.

At that point, the dragons up on the ridge bugled the arrival of another. Varthikes craned his head, turning his left eye to see the arriving gold dragon. Riding the gold's shoulders was the figure of a woman.

What are you doing here? the woman demanded him. Varthikes had a pretty good idea who these two were, even if he hadn't sensed the answer in the minds of the men.

Most honored greetings, most honorable Weyrwoman Lessa, most honorable Ramoth, he said, bowing his head respectfully to the pair as the dragon landed. Ramoth didn't seem as big as he remembered, he reflected. For that matter, neither did Mnementh. Of course, the fact that he was now a full-grown adult might have something to do with it. Last time he was here, he had still been an adolescent.

Ramoth helped her rider from her shoulders. Now on her feet, Lessa approached them. I am here to rescue her-Varthikes turned her head slightly to indicate Amity-and Remiphing.

"You're lucky that you didn't come here during the day," Lessa said in a reprimanding tone.

You are correct, Varthikes said with a nod. He now spoke so that the men heard him as well. I knew not that I would emerge into this world where I did. Or when I would.

"Speaking of which," E'war spoke up, "you wouldn't happen to have seen a young bronze and a rider on your way through, have you?"

I did not, the Draconian replied in puzzlement.

"You're talking about Gaderath?" Lessa asked him. "All the dragons have just sensed their...disappearance. What was he and T'lion doing?"

E'war told her and Varthikes what he had told F'lar earlier.

"And, they went through it?"

The pull which the anomaly produces became significantly stronger when I went through. If such happened the same here, Gaderath was likely unprepared and got pulled through at the same time as I did.

"So, he and his rider are now on your world?" Lessa asked him.

Varthikes sensed that she already knew the answer, but was seeking confirmation. That is correct. They are safe, and would be informed by my friends to come back through as soon as possible. The anomaly, however, is now behaving in a very unpredictable manner. We, therefore, must move quickly. Amity, onto my shoulders. Varthikes positioned his forearm to allow the young girl to step up. She did so and was lifted to his shoulders. In which direction is Eastern Weyr? he inquired the riders.

"Esoth and I will lead you," E'war said stepping forward.

"Before you go..." F'lar signaled for them to wait. "We have something for you to take back to your world." F'lar reentered the building, followed by Robinton and D'ram. He and D'ram returned a moment later, Robinton having stayed behind to deliver a report to Aivas. In F'lar's hands, Varthikes saw a very familiar device.

An aqua-probe? he asked, tilting his head in confusion.

"You and Audwin forgot this last time."

Varthikes searched his memory. He vaguely remembered Audwin saying something about one aqua-probe still being on Pern. I will then take it, he said even as he was thinking how he was going to accomplish that. Amity needed her hands to hold on. The probe was too small for him to hold securely in his own clawed hands. Then, he remembered how his sister Sarkiphing said she had brought back the first probe. He lowered his head to the man's level and opened his mouth. Only in my mouth can I hold it until we are on the other side of the anomaly, he explained. When the probe was in, Varthikes closed his mouth and pulled back. He maneuvered his tongue until the device was securely underneath.

If you are done, would you please move aside so I can land? asked a dragon's thought-voice tartly.

Varthikes turned an eye up to see a brown circling above him, waiting for a spot to land. My apologies. Then, to Amity, Hold tight. I am launching now.

Complying, Amity braced herself as Varthikes leaned back and launched into the air. As he ascended, Esoth set down and helped his rider aboard. Then, he was aloft and led Varthikes northeastward.

As Audwin had asked-ordered, more like-John told the Nebari what was happening with the anomaly, albeit grudgingly. Although, Aeryn also wanted to know what was just happening. That made it a little easier. Spock stood by, adding a detail here-and-there, which presented John with an awkward feeling that he did his best to suppress. He was just explaining the anomaly's recent activity. "Just before you arrived, I spoke to Pilot. While this anomaly," he waved his hand toward the sea, "was doin' whatever the hell it was doin', Moya had her senses on the area of space we appeared in. She's detected activity there, as well."

"The Enterprise had detected that as well. It would seem to indicate that these anomalies are indeed linked, not only the White Space Portal, but to each other," Spock noted, cocking an eyebrow. "Fascinating."

"Right." John looked at him for a moment, a slight grin on his face. But, the Human/Vulcan hybrid, being deep in thought, didn't see the grin. Instead, he turned to walk away. John turned back to the Nebari. Specifically, he looked at their leader-Hirlis, whom he found staring at him and Aeryn.

"Does that mean you knew you were deliberately flying into that gravity field?" Hirlis asked, brow furled in bafflement.

"That's correct," Aeryn answered with a quick nod.

"You see, we were trying to lure you in. But, the field got too strong, and we got sucked in with you. Like Admiral Johnson said, we're both stuck in this alternate future universe along with Star Trek, Babylon 5, Roswell Grays," he glanced back at the new-arrivals, who were talking to Audwin and one of this world's dragons, "and now, Pern apparently." He turned back to the Nebari.

"You should not have gave chase to us," Hirlis said.

"You think we were just gonna let you brain-neuter us?" John couldn't resist the disbelieving grin.

"You and the others aboard that Leviathan are too dangerous. Wherever you go, you leave a trail of death and destruction."

"Hey! A month ago, we saved your asses from a war between the Peacekeepers and the Scarrans. I know you guys think you're tough and powerful after having defeated the Zelbinion a hundred cycles ago. But, come on, you can't possibly believe you would've survived the same encounter with a fleet of Scarran Dreadnoughts!"

Hirlis appeared to think about that for a moment. "Further death and destruction must be avoided."

"Then, I suggest you find some other way to promote peace. The way you're doin' it is only gonna cause more. And, I, for one, have had my brain frelled up more times in the last four years than I care to count." With that, John left and moved to join Audwin and the Draconian with the two from Pern.

"Well, it's obvious that I'm no longer on Pern," T'lion accepted, glancing at Sage Rothel. Audwin had spent the last several minutes explaining to the young dragonrider where he and his dragon were and how they got there. "But, still..." He shook his head in wonderment. "Another world. In another time. When did you say this was? Several thousand Turns back?"

"I'd estimate around four thousand."

T'lion continued shaking his head. "Aivas told us that the original colonists came to Pern only twenty-five hundred Turns ago."

"I appreciate the enormity this situation must be to you," Audwin said sympathetically.

"But, we can go back, right?"

"Theoretically, yes. But, the door you came through needs to be open. Right now, according to our equipment, it closed shortly after you appeared."

"So, we're stuck here?" Audwin didn't need Draconian telepathy to see that T'lion feared the answer to his question.

"Unfortunately, yes," answered a new voice frankly. "The cruel truth is, we are for the moment." All four, Human and dragon alike, turned their attentions toward the source of the voice. Approaching from the dismantled Command Post was John Crichton. Glancing at Audwin, he asked, "Who're our delegates from Pern?"

Audwin proceeded to introduce man and dragon to Crichton and vice versa. "He and others are in the same situation as you two-stuck in a different time and place."

"When will this door open again?" T'lion asked.

"We don't know. It's behaving unpredictably now."

"I think Spock might be working on something," Crichton told Audwin. "His mind seemed preoccupied last time I saw him. Like he was thinking hard about something."

Audwin looked around for the pointy-eared man.

He is at the new Command Post with Admiral Kirk, talking to Commander Farcorn, Sage Rothel told them. Audwin looked up at the cliff-top.

With the dragons' help, the three Humans reached the top. Meanwhile, Takamura had gone with Aeryn and the Nebari to find a suitable path to the top via foot or skiff. The Command Post was now back on-line, and Farcorn had gotten on the com-link to Command-and-Control.

"What's going on?" Audwin asked as he, John, and T'lion approached Spock. Kirk stood back and was speaking on his com-link, probably with someone on his ship. If Audwin had eyes in the back of his head, he would have seen T'lion gawking at the pointed ears. The rider also tried his best not to let his eyes wander to the Malcons manning the Command Post.

"I have asked Commander Farcorn for the comparison readings between the White Space Portal and the anomalies," Spock answered. "The Enterprise and Moya both detected activity from the anomaly near the system's seventh planet during our recent experience with the one here. I must compare those readings with the readings acquired during the last activity, both here and near the seventh planet. The Enterprise will transmit their latest readings. Mr. Crichton, the readings your vessel took may also be helpful."

"I'll speak with Pilot," John said with a nod.

"How will this help us?" Audwin asked.

"We already know that these anomalies are related to the White Space Portal, which Admiral Johnson mentioned. That these anomalies started just as increased activity was detected from the Portal."

"What's he talking about?" a confused T'lion asked Audwin.

Audwin turned back to him. "You know that door you and Gaderath came through between Pern and Draconia? There are others out there," he waved his hand toward the sky, "that lead elsewhere. The ones John and Kirk and Spock came through. There's also another one-a really big one-that leads to some place totally different. All of these other doors are related to it."

"Not only related, but linked, at least with each other," Spock amended. "They all open at the same time. It is possible that we may be able to predict when the doors will open again."

T'lion merely shrugged, still not certain he understood. "If you say so."

Remiphing had been just as delighted to see Varthikes as Amity had been. When she saw him flying over the Weyr with Esoth and heard his trumpeted greeting, she immediately rose to her hindlegs, spread her wings upward, and bugled a joyous response.

We must go quickly, Remiphing, he had told her. Unsure am I of how long the anomaly will remain open.

So, Remiphing launched herself into the air and ascended to join him.

Now, Remiphing and Varthikes, with Amity still on his shoulders, flew side-by-side. Light from the two moons, one now directly above them with the other rising in the east behind them, shone down on them, casting twin shadows on the ground below. As they flew, Remiphing told Varthikes about her efforts to find the anomaly earlier that sunrise. Esoth and I searched the area, she said. I am certain that it was the right area we were searching.

Likely is it that the anomaly was not active at the time,
Varthikes explained. Not since you and Amity disappeared has there been activity from the anomaly until I came through. Hopefully, it will remain active long enough for us to return to Draconia, and to allow Gaderath and T'lion to return here.

They arrived in the sky above the clearing where Varthikes had found himself falling toward when the whiteness had cleared. He instructed Remiphing to fly in an ascending circular pattern, starting at the canopy level of the surrounding forests. Varthikes did likewise, circling just above the young queen and in the opposite direction.

Time passed as they continued their ascent with each circle. After several rounds, Varthikes began to get concerned. A glance over to Remiphing told him she was, too. Maybe the anomaly had already closed, and the three of them were now trapped on Pern. Gaderath and T'lion would also be likewise on Draconia. Well, at least those two were safe from Thread. He felt Amity on his shoulders falling asleep. Remiphing, too, was getting tired.

I still feel not the pull of the anomaly, Remiphing told him wearily.

Neither do I, Varthikes replied in a worried tone. We will return to the Weyr. You and Amity will rest. I will return and continue searching.

They did so. On returning to the Weyr, he found the Weyrleaders of both Benden and Eastern waiting for his return-or, rather, the return of T'lion and Gaderath. Varthikes landed, which woke Amity up, and helped the young Human down while telling the leaders about his failure to locate the anomaly. "Are we back on Draconia?" she asked sleepily.

I am afraid we are not, Varthikes answered. He told her to go with Remiphing and rest. As Talina led the girls away, he turned back to T'gellan, F'lar, and Lessa. I will return and continue feeling for the anomaly's return.

"You need to rest, too," Lessa told him.

Varthikes shook his head as he had seen Humans do to indicate negativity. For longer periods am I able to continue without sleep. Beneficial would it be, too, if a Pernese dragon would return with me. To provide quicker communication with the Weyr when the anomaly reappears.

Now, it was T'gellan's turn to shake his head. "Our riders do require sleep, and we don't usually send out dragons without their riders."

Hardly are these circumstances usual. In the field below may the pair rest while I search the skies above them. I will wake them should I find anything.

"They would be in danger from the felines!" Lessa objected.

I will keep watch over them from the nocturnal predators. On that you have my promise by the nesting sands upon which I had been hatched! Varthikes' tone now took on a degree of urgency. I realize that what I am asking is an inconvenience to both dragon and Human! It is, however, necessary!

The Weyrleaders conferred among themselves for a moment. "Very well," T'gellan finally said, turning back to the Draconian. "We will send a pair with you. You will be responsible for their safety." The man said the last sentence with such firmness than he ever expected to use with a dragon.

I understand, he assured him.

"In the meantime," Lessa said to her mate, "we should get back to our Weyr."

More to come...
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: "WhiteSpace, Part II"

Post by Varthikes »

XII

T
WO VESSELS remained of the Liberals' fleet. Both were bleeding heavily, their gray circuit fluid spewing into the white sky. Yet, they held their position between Command's Fleet and the portal to the other realm. And, they continued to fight back with unwavering conviction. How they were able to continue fighting was a mystery to the Supreme Commander. Though a pointless one, as his victory was inevitable.

A greenish beam struck his vessel. A shudder rippled throughout the organism, accompanied by a low moan. Then, a similar beam from an ally struck one of the Liberal vessels. Upon impact, the vessel ruptured in a cloud of gray. One vessel now remained of the opposing fleet. One vessel against twenty.

Through the link with his vessel's exterior optics, the Supreme Commander saw movement. The remaining Liberal vessel, with nearly two dozen beams tearing it up, had begun to move toward them.

"Remaining opposing vessel has set a collision course," one of his crew reported.

"All beams," the Supreme Commander ordered. "Eliminate them."

From the extended weapon stalks on various locations on the vessel, energy beams were shot forth. The action was repeated on the twenty other Command vessels. The beams all hit their target, which soon tore apart under the constant assault.

Finally, the Liberal fleet was finished. It was a great pity that they chose to stand in defiance of Command. But, they had made their choice.

Not spending another moment in worthless contemplation of the Liberals' hopeless fight, the Supreme Commander refocused his attention. Now, they will be able to carry out their operation...

The sun was sliding closer to the western horizon, lighting up that whole area of the sky in bright orange, which reflected off the sea. Audwin contemplated that stunning view. His gaze shifted to the boat that held position a small dragon wingbeat from the shore above the at-the-moment inactive portal to Pern. The portal that could become active again at any time. But, for now, it held Varthikes, Amity, and Remiphing prisoner on Pern, and T'lion and Gaderath prisoner on Draconia.

Audwin turned toward the Command Post. There, he saw Spock sitting in front of several computers with Farcorn, Crichton, and Kirk huddled around him. The pointy-eared man was trying to find a way to predict when the anomaly would reopen. Their Nebari visitors listened nearby. Takamura had taken Aeryn back to Command-and-Control to intercept the sensor readings that Moya had taken of the anomaly near the seventh planet.

Sage Rothel stood on the other side of the Post, his attention on the Pernese pair. As it was night in their area of Pern when they had passed through the anomaly, T'lion and Gaderath were tired, so they settled down a ways from the Post-but close enough to be roused in the event that the portal reopened. Ilka had taken the remaining children from that morning back to colony. The Draconian younglings who were old enough were allowed to fly back to the Range with Vanthres guiding them. That left Vruthes with the colony.

Audwin started toward the Sage, who, as he approached, turned a golden eye on him. Audwin bowed his head courteously as he covered the remaining distance. "You seem intent on our visitors from Pern," he observed.

More precisely, Rothel said, on one of them.

Audwin now stood beside the Draconian's head and was able to see the dragon and rider. T'lion was tucked lovingly between the dragon's forearm and neck-much like the way he used to spend the night with Varthikes, Audwin thought. They haven't actually done that for five years now since Varthikes' children hatched. Other than, of course, that time that he and Varthikes had switched bodies...

Quite accustomed have I become to the sight of creatures like yourself-bipeds-in varying forms, Rothel was explaining, interrupting Audwin's thoughts. Human, Malcon, Octavian, Norseen. Now, these Nebari and whatever Thor and Spock are. All bipeds. Now, we have found here a creature similar to us and, yet, alien. A somewhat odd experience.

If the Sage was going to say more, he was interrupted by sound of flapping wings. Both lifted their eyes skyward to see a Draconian queen flying in. The queen bugled a greeting. Joyful greetings, friend Audwin, came a familiar thought-voice. Respectful greetings, honorable Sage Rothel.

"Greetings, Sonaphing!" Audwin cried in response. "I wish it was joyful." Beside him, Rothel rose, first to all fours, then to his hindlegs while arching his wings upward and bugled back the greeting. The Pernese pair jolted awake at the bellow, snapping their eyes around to look at the Sage, then at the sky.

"Wha-What's happening?" T'lion wanted to know. "Oh..." he said a second later as he received an answer from his dragon which Audwin couldn't hear.

Rothel lowered back to all fours. My apologies for waking you two, he told them, who were settling back down to resume their interrupted sleep.

Varthikes' mate flew over them at that point and executed a spiral descent. She came to land on the other side of the Command Post from him and the Sage. Audwin and Rothel turned and moved to meet her. Those at the Post had looked up from their work. Farcorn and Spock quickly went back to work while the other guests continued watching the new arrivals. As soon as she was on all fours, Sonaphing looked back at them-in particular, her eyes seemed to be focused on the pale-skinned Nebari. She turned an eye to Audwin. Who are these strangers?

Audwin brought her up-to-date with what had been happening since that morning. He finished with Varthikes going through the portal in the sea after Amity and Remiphing.

Sonaphing spent a moment assimilating the information. Varthikes, then, is trapped on Pern? she asked at length.

"I'm afraid so," Audwin told her grimly. "He went through just as two from that world came here." He pointed out T'lion and Gaderath, who were once again asleep. Sonaphing was silent for a moment, and Audwin allowed her time to assimilate his report. "I assure you, friend Sonaphing, that we're doing what we can to bring him-my brother, your mate-back along with my daughter and her friend."

The queen locked both understanding eyes on him. She nodded her understanding. I know you are, friend Audwin.

"Right now, we're trying to see if we can predict in advance when the portal will reopen." Audwin pointed over his shoulder at Spock and the others behind him. "I was just about to check on them." He turned, waving the queen to follow him to the Command Post.

Those standing around Spock turned on their approach. "Have we found anything?"

"So far," Crichton started, "we've compared the readings you guys took down here with the ones from the Enterprise and the most recent ones from your outpost near the this White Space Portal. It looks like each time we experienced increased activity here, it's preceded by a surge of activity in the Portal."

I do not fully understand, Sonaphing told them. Audwin introduced her to the others, then, focusing his attention on the queen, relayed the report. What sort of activity? she asked when she was caught up.

"Observe," Spock told her. He turned back to the computers and went to work.

On one monitor, an image appeared of a black, star-filled sky. Centering the image was a spherical area of whiteness, glowing in the black sky like a white star. It glowed rather dimly at the moment. Farcorn identified it as the visual image of the Portal as it was being observed by the outpost earlier that day. On a second monitor was a graph showing the readings from the sensor beacon in the seabed, taken at the same time as the image of the Portal. Farcorn told Spock to play the image.

For a moment, nothing happened. Then, the white sun suddenly increased in brightness. A few seconds later, the sensor readings on the other monitor changed. "This is when the beacon here first detected disturbance," Farcorn pointed out, directing their attention to the sensor readings. "Increased pressure, the appearance of foreign particles... Fifteen seconds after the outpost detected the increased brightness." The commander went silent, letting the image and chart play out. The brightness of the portal fluctuated erratically, sometimes becoming brighter, other times dimmer. The readings on the chart changed as the Portal changed, pressure and particle concentration increasing and decreasing fifteen seconds after the Portal did so.

Farcorn told Spock to fast-forward the image and readings. The Portal's fluctuations and the readings on the chart started to change faster. Then, everything stopped. The Portal and the readings on the chart returned to their original appearance. "That was this morning," Farcorn told them. "Now, we'll see what was happening this afternoon. This time, we'll be comparing the Portal itself with the readings we took and those that the Enterprise took of the anomaly near the seventh planet."

They returned their attention to the screens. This time, the monitor that was displaying the chart now showed a split screen-one side with the old chart, the other with a new one in a noticeably different format. It still contained the same basic information, however. Spock played the images again, letting them run synchronously. Just as before, the Portal suddenly increased in brightness and was followed several seconds later by a change in readings on both charts.

"Now, this time," Farcorn pointed out, "we had two of the anomalies under surveillance. Both exhibited the same change in readings at the same time, fifteen seconds after the outpost detected activity from the Portal."

"Same readings... That's taking into account the fact that the difference of environment?" Kirk asked.

"That's correct," Spock said, looking up at his commanding officer.

"So, now we know these anomalies are preceded several seconds by increased activity in the Portal," Audwin concluded.

"It's not much of a warning," Crichton continued for him. "I know."

"And, we'd have to wait for the outpost to report the next increase of activity in the Portal," Audwin added. "Then, all of you will need to get to your respective anomalies."

Silence hung over them for a moment. In that silence, Sonaphing asked Audwin where Vruthes was. Audwin told her that he was back at the colony with Ilka. While Sonaphing made her way to the colony on foot, Crichton turned his mouth to the copper-colored com-link on his shoulder.

"Aeryn, has Pilot sent down Moya's most recent sensor readings on the anomaly yet?"

"Moya's readings do not seem to be compatible with the colony's computers, John," came the reply.

"Alright, we'll go up there." Crichton looked up at the others. "Moya and Pilot might be able to see something that neither we nor your sensors can. But, it seems we'll have to go up there."

"I would like to return with you, Mr. Crichton, to see what your ship has detected," Spock said, coming to his feet.

"Yeah, you and Pilot would work well together," the man replied with a smirk. "And, please, call me John."

Spock turned to Kirk. "With your permission, Jim?"

Kirk nodded. "Granted. In the meantime, I'll return to the Enterprise."

Then, Spock turned to Farcorn. "Commander, may I borrow one your computers?"

"I'll send one of my people up with you," the commander said. He singled out a Human ensign at the Post, Ensign Stella Manbey, to take one of the portable computers and accompany Spock, Kirk, Crichton, and the Nebari back to the colony. Audwin decided to stay with the Post, to be there for their Pernese guests. He watched the others follow Sonaphing's trail, Crichton getting back on his com-link with Aeryn to tell her that they were on their way.

A half-hour later, John and Aeryn were back aboard their transport pod. He and Aeryn were in the piloting seats while their passengers, Spock and Ensign Manbey sat behind them. Kirk and the Nebari had taken another shuttle. That second shuttle followed them until they cleared the planet's atmosphere. Then, the colony's shuttle changed course for the orbiting space station. From there, they would transfer to their respective ships. Meanwhile, Aeryn piloted their pod toward their beloved Moya, hanging in space alongside the smaller Enterprise.

"Pilot, we're coming in," he said into his com-unit.

"We see you, Commander," came the response. "Tremlin Side docking bay is ready to receive you."

"We also have two guests who need to study Moya's sensor readings of the anomaly. We need two injections of translator microbes ready."

"Understood, Commander."

John turned to their passengers, focusing on Spock in particular. "I trust neither of you mind. Apparently, your universal translators can't process the languages from our Universe."

"I understand, John," Spock said with a curt nod.

"What exactly are these 'translator microbes'?" Manbey asked. "I mean, I understand they have something to do with translation..."

"They colonize at the base of the brain," John explained. "Allows you to understand what the others aboard our ship are saying."

Within minutes, their transport pod was caught in the docking web and pulled into Moya's port docking bay. John and Aeryn descended the pod's ladder, followed by their guests, just as the bay doors split open to the Maintenance Bay. They found Chiana waiting for them, standing beside the bay's main console with young D'Argo in her arms. On the ground nearby were two yellow Diagnostic Repair Drones, each with a syringe-type tool in their mechanical arms containing the reddish-orange concoction of translator microbes. Their "eye" stalks turned toward their entrance.

"Hey, look who's back," Chiana told the baby in her arms. His mouth was spread in a smile, crying joyfully; his little blue eyes sparkling at seeing his parents.

"Look who's happy to see us!" John cried, returning the baby's smile as he rushed forward to relieve Chiana of the burden.

"Thank you, Chiana," Aeryn told the young Nebari woman appreciatively.

"Who are these people?" she asked, her wary, vertical-slit white eyes on the two strangers that had come off the transport pod with her shipmates.

"Oh, right." John quickly brought his mind back the the situation at hand and turned to their guests. He introduced them to Chiana and D'Argo, then Chiana to them. "If you'll come forward, the DRDs will give you your translator shots, then we'll be on our way to see the great and wise Pilot."

When Hirlis and his crew arrived at the station, they were escorted off the shuttle by a half-dozen Malcon soldiers along with the person named Kirk. They were met by a Sebacean-looking female who introduced herself as Commander Myers. She led Kirk off to another part of the station while their Malcon escort continued guiding them to the berth where their Star Runner was docked.

"What will we do?" Tarila asked him once they were alone on their ship.

Hirlis took a moment to think on the question before answering, "We will do what we can regarding these anomalies. Crichton is correct. We are all in the same situation here-cut off from where we're supposed to be. It is in our mutual interests that we work together to get out of it."

"The station is signaling us," someone reported.

"Nebari vessel, if you are ready, we will guide you out of our docking bay." There was a pause on the other end before the man speaking added, "No reply to this message will be taken to mean you are ready."

"Set the engines on stand-by," Hirlis instructed Tarila, who was standing at the helm console. Tarila stared at him for a moment with calculating eyes before turning to her attention to the console before her.

Hirlis turned his attention to the forward viewport, missing the calculating gaze Tarila gave him before moving to carry out his order.

Roughly five minutes after leaving the Maintenance Bay, John, young D'Argo still in his arms, led Spock and Ensign Manbey into the cavernous Pilot's Den. After introductions had been made, John brought the purplish, shell-headed alien up-to-date with what they had figured out on the planet. That the anomalies are all linked and that their activation is preceded by a burst of activity from a larger Portal. Pilot listened intently, his red-and-yellow eyes giving them as much of his attention as necessary while still performing the tasks necessary to maintain their life-support. "But, aside from that, we don't have any warning when these anomalies will activate," John said in conclusion. "At least, none provided by their sensors," he added with a gesture to Spock and Manbey.

"You wanted to know if Moya and I could see something that they can't?" Pilot asked.

"Like you were able to see the pressure bubble just before a wormhole opens," John said with a nod.

Pilot looked down at his console. "I've examined Moya's records when you asked for them earlier," he explained. "If you will go up to Command, I will show you there."

So, John turned and led the other two out of the Den. They arrived in Command a few minutes later, the forward portal giving them an immediate view of the dragonworld with the orbiting space station and accompanying ships. Then, John saw Aeryn and Chiana, each standing at a console. Rygel was conspicuously absent. He asked Chiana about the Hynarian as he came to stand beside Aeryn.

"I'm right here," came the bass voice. John turned toward the voice to see the diminutive dominar riding in on his throne sled from the other door. "Who are these people?" Rygel asked, his eyes on the two visitors.

Before John could reply, Pilot reported from the clamshell over the situation table, "The Nebari vessel is signaling."

John turned his attention to the forward portal just as a gray face a Nebari male appeared. "Hirlis. So, what's it gonna be?"

"Crichton, what's going on?" Rygel asked suspiciously. John waved him away with his free hand while keeping his eyes on the other on the viewer.

"We cannot deny that we both share the situation of being stuck in this strange Universe," Hirlis admitted. "It is, therefore, in our mutual interest that we work together."

"Good," John said with a nod of approval. He could feel Rygel's glare on him. "We were about to look over Moya's readings of the anomaly. We'll call you back once we've got something."

"Very well." With that, the Nebari image was replaced by that of the planet.

"We are not working with them!" Rygel exclaimed at once. "The microt we let down our guard, they'll come aboard and frell us!"

"He's right," Chiana said, her serious eyes locked on John's.

"They will be monitored," Spock spoke up. "If the Nebari become hostile, action will be taken to disable their ship."

"And, who are you?" Rygel asked him pointedly. The Human-Vulcan hybrid regarded the Hynarian through calm, devilish eyes.

"That's Spock," John answered. "He's from the ship parked alongside us-the Enterprise, which is also stuck in this Universe like us and the Nebari. She and the other ships around us will be monitoring the Nebari ship. Now, Pilot," John turned to the clamshell, which still held the image of Pilot, "you were going to show us Moya's sensor readings?"

An instant later, a holographic image appeared above the situation table. John walked up to it, followed immediately by Spock and Manbey. The image showed their ship Moya in orbit of a planet. Moya was just leaving orbit with a Nebari Star Runner pursuing from behind. "This is before our initial contact with the anomaly," Pilot told them. Aeryn, Chiana, and Rygel all joined them at the table and watched the recording. "Moya's attention was almost entirely on the pursuing Star Runner at the time, but her auxiliary senses picked up a disturbance ahead of her."

The holographic image of Moya, the Star Runner, and the planet shrank until it revealed a small, clear bubble ahead of the Leviathan and off her port bow. Within the bubble was a small collection of twinkling blue dots.

John and Spock leaned closer to the image. "Can you magnify that disturbance, Pilot?" the half-Vulcan asked.

A moment later, the image enlarged, focusing in on the disturbance. The twinkling dots became more defined, appearing now as small stars, each increasing and decreasing in brightness in a seemingly random pattern. There were but a handful of them.

"Looks kind of like the White Space Portal," John noted.

"The what?" Rygel turned his demanding eyes on the Human.

"This image is before Moya first detected the gravitational pull," Pilot told them.

Spock turned to the woman behind him. "Ensign Manbey, bring the computer on-line, please. Then, bring up the image of the White Space Portal."

"Yes, sir." As the ensign went to work, John told Rygel and Chiana what he had told Pilot earlier about what they had discovered on the planet. Manbey soon had the computer on and, as Spock had instructed, displaying the image of the Portal, brightly glowing white. She turned the monitor so that Pilot could see it from the clamshell.

"This is the White Space Portal as viewed by outpost that's monitoring it," Spock explained.

"What's the time of this image?" John asked.

"This morning," Manbey answered. "Around 10:30. Hatching time."

"Let's fast-forward to this afternoon."

"Agreed," Spock said as Manbey was already going to work on the computer.

"Pilot, can you show us what Moya saw just before the last increase of activity from the anomaly?"

The holographic image changed. This time, it only showed the same small cluster of blue dots within a bubble, a few of which were twinkling slowly while the rest were still. "This is just before the increase of activity was detected," Pilot said.

"I'm ready," Manbey announced. Her monitor again showing the white star. This time, however, it wasn't glowing.

"Are you sure? That looks like the same image as before," Rygel commented.

"This is from this afternoon, uh, sir," the ensign assured him. "The time of this image is 17:30."

Manbey and Pilot both ran their respective images simultaneously. Just as the Portal on the computer screen began to get brighter, the blue dots in the holographic display began to multiply and twinkle at a faster pace.

"Whoa, that reaction was more immediate," John pointed out.

"You're correct," Spock agreed. "At this point, neither the Enterprise, nor the colony on Draconia had detected activity from the anomalies."

"So, Moya can see what you guys can't?" Chiana asked. "What does that mean?"

"It means we'll know sooner than they will when this anomaly will open again," John explained.

A sudden burst of light drew their attention back to the holographic image. Every dot now twinkled brightly in the image. And, they looked as if they were being pulled toward the center of the bubble, which itself seemed to reach outward. On the computer terminal, the Portal shone a great deal more brighter as well.

"This where the pull the anomaly was generating was the greatest," Manbey reported. She looked specifically at Spock and John. "Where Varthikes had gone through the one on Draconia."

"Fascinating." Spock looked up at the clamshell. "Thank you, Pilot. You may end the recording." The holographic image vanished. At the same time, Ensign Manbey switched off the image of the Portal on her computer. "We should now get a direct look at the anomaly as it is in its dormant state."

"Hold on a microt," Rygel demanded, glaring up at Spock. "You've been aboard for less than an arn. Why should we take orders from you?"

Spock turn to regard the diminutive Dominar with ever calm brown eyes. "I was merely suggesting a course of action that would aid us all in returning to our respective Universes."

While John relayed their findings to the Nebari, Spock got on his own wrist-mounted com-unit with the Enterprise to give Kirk his report and to inform him what he intended to do now. Kirk replied that the Enterprise will accompany them and that he would notify the space station of their intentions.

Nearly a full day had elapsed since they departed Draconia with the Asgard ship. Thor, having the faster ship, had agreed to tow them through hyperspace. The fact that the Titans was larger than the Beliskner didn't seem to present a problem for the Asgard.

Mark made his way through the steel-gray corridors the EAS Titans, walking at a careful but steady pace. Captain Ivanova had told him that, in her Universe, this was the first Earth ship constructed with artificial gravity created not by rotation. The system, she had told him, was still being perfected. He could certainly see the truth in that with each bouncing step he took.

He retraced the route that his escort had taken him from the bridge to his quarters last night. He eventually came to a familiar door that stood out among the others on the ship. Most were the same color as the surrounding bulkheads. This one, however, was transparent. Mark stepped up to it, and it slid aside to allow him access to the room beyond. As soon as he crossed the threshold, he felt a noticeable weight-gain. The gravity on the bridge was evidently stronger than it was in the corridors.

The officers manning their posts briefly looked up at his entrance before returning to their work. Mark found Ivanova standing near the forward viewport showing the hazy-blue tunnel of hyperspace and, off their starboard, the hammer-shaped Asgard ship. The captain looked back at him with her arms crossed. "I got your message," he told her, coming to join her at the viewport.

"Thor just informed us that we're coming up on your coordinates," she said and turned back to the viewport. "We should be coming out of hyperspace any minute now."

Mark and Ivanova watched the view outside the portal. Before long, the calm voice of the Asgard Supreme Commander came through the ship's com-channel announcing, "We are now returning to normal space." In the next instant, the hazy-blue tunnel gave way to a star-filled sky. Mark recognized the bright star-like body that dominated this sky. It looked much bigger than he remembered. Or, maybe it was just him. Hanging in space between them and the Portal was a deep space starbase with a fleet of a dozen made up of ships from the Earth Union and the Malcon Empire.

"Assuming that's the Portal."

"That's right," Mark confirmed.

"We're receiving a signal from the space station, Captain," reported a female officer behind them and to their right.

"Put it through, Huckerson," Ivanova instructed her. The captain directed Mark's attention to a monitor on a nearby bulkhead. It was displaying the image of the space station and the surrounding fleet. But, the image blinked the image was changed to that of the dark face of the station's commanding officer.

"This is Captain Lance Bassi of the White Space Outpost to unidentified vessels, please identify."

"Captain Bassi, this is Admiral Mark Johnson."

"Admiral Johnson, we've received your message yesterday that you were coming. I take it those two ships with you are the ones from other Universes?"

"Two of them, that's correct, Captain. Two of the four. The others remained in orbit of Draconia to monitor the anomalies there. What's the status of the Portal?"

"It's been quiet," Bassi answered. "No new activity since yesterday afternoon. I'm thinking the race on the other side have decided to call it a day."

Mark exchanged looks with Ivanova, caught the concerned look she tried to hide. He didn't blame her for being worried with the possibility of not returning to where she belonged. He had had a taste of that feeling a number of times himself. Mark turned back to the station's captain and took a breath to say something. Before he could speak, however, Bassi looked away in response to someone out of the visual pick-up. "Admiral," he said when he turned back, "we're just receiving a transmission for you from Draconia."

"Relay it to both our ships, please, Captain."

Again, Bassi turned to someone out of the visual pick-up and issued an order. A minute later, the face that Mark recognized as Spock's appeared on the monitor.

"Commander Spock, what have you got?"

Spock told them about Moya's greater ability to detect the disturbance around the anomaly near Drac VII. "At the moment, we are monitoring the anomaly. Even as your sensors and ours continue to read the anomalies as inactive, Moya is detecting a lingering disturbance, but it's not powerful enough to return us to our respective Universes."

"So, the anomalies are sealed again for the next eleven years?" Ivanova asked. She was fighting to hide the fear building in her.

"That was our original conclusion," Spock answered. "However, we have compared the readings taken by the beacon on Draconia over the last eleven years. The same lingering disturbance is not present."

"So, there's hope yet," Mark commented, favoring Ivanova a glance. She looked somewhat relieved, but kept her composure.

"The Portal is becoming active again," Thor reported over a distorted com-channel. The monitor containing the image of Spock also become fuzzy. Mark turned his eyes toward the viewport where the Portal burned with renewed vigor.

"What's happening?" Ivanova demanded.

"The Portal is disrupting communications," Huckerson answered.

"Admiral!" came Bassi's voice. "Our readings...going off...scale!"

An ear-splitting pop! resounded over the speakers, preceding an explosion of intense whiteness. Mark instinctively covered his eyes with an arm, but that didn't seem to do any good. More loud pops went off as consoles around the bridge exploded. Several cries announced that some of the crew caught the fresh sparks. Then, a cry of agony right beside him. Mark raised his eyes, the brightness replaced by a green glow that filled his vision with each blink, and turned to the captain. Ivanova was on her knees, her hands on her head.

More to come...
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

XIII

K
IRK LOWERED his arm from his eyes. The entire space before them had just exploded in a blinding flash of white. Now, a bright point dominated the center of the main viewscreen. "What's happened?" he asked, turning to the lieutenant manning the science station in Spock's absence.

"The readings " the lieutenant started, then broke off, shaking his head in confusion. "The readings are certainly different than before It looks like space is actually tearing apart."

The deck lurched beneath them. Kirk automatically gripped his armrests to keep himself in his chair.

"Sir, we're getting a transmission from Spock," Uhura announced.

"On screen, Lieutenant." Kirk turned his attention to the main screen. The screen blinked to replace the image of the new point of white with that of his first officer on a copper-colored bridge. The image flickered at seemingly random intervals. "Spock, what have you got?"

"The pressure within the field is increasing, Captain. It has already surpassed readings previously recorded by either us, Moya, or Draconia and is still rising." Spock turned away from the screen, and a second voice was heard speaking in a language undecipherable to the Universal Translator. Spock looked back at the screen. "Pilot reports that the field is expanding. He advises that we withdraw to a safer distance."

"Acknowledged. Mister Sulu, take us a million kilometers further from the anomaly."

The sun was well above the eastern horizon. All had been quiet during the night and, so far, that morning. Sage Rothel was off catching breakfast with Gaderath. Audwin was standing with T'lion, who was getting to know Grailin, the Malcon officer stationed at the Command Post, when alarms erupted all around them. Grailin whirled back to the computers and joined Farcorn in assessing the new data.

"Is the door open again?" an eager T'lion asked.

"Something new's happening," Farcorn answered, his concentration on the workstation before him. He switched on the com-link. "Doctor Mirlleeta, what's going on out there?"

A cloud of static came back.

"Doctor?"

"Commander," Mirlleeta's voice spoke over the lingering static, "we are encountering increasing pressure again! But, it is already above previously recorded marks! The gravitational pull is stronger than it was before as well!" Audwin wasn't sure if it was him, but the doctor's voice sounded as though it was getting deeper and slower.

Then, T'lion pointed it out. "Must be the gravitational waves," Audwin said at length. Catching the dragonrider's puzzled look, he explained, "Time slows down the closer you get to a source of gravity."

"The anomaly's effect is making the water swell," Mirlleeta was saying just before the com-channel crackled and snapped. The next thing they knew, the ground shook beneath them, sending all four of them grabbing for the nearest support. The jolting continued for what seemed like several long minutes before stopping.

"Commander Farcorn! Commander Farcorn, do you read?!" Doctor Mirlleeta shouted into the com-speaker over the waves roaring outside the cabin. She managed to keep herself seated while the boat was tossed about. She turned to her crew-a mix of Humans, Malcons, and Octavians-all looking at her expectantly. "It seems that we have lost contact with the Command Post."

"We should leave this area," the Human helmsman suggested. "While we-" Whatever he was about to add was lost in the series of violent jolts that overcame the vessel. Those standing lost their balance.

"Those are not waves," an Octavian commented as she picked herself off the deck.

"Feels more like an earthquake," the helmsman added just as a low moan resonated through the hull. All paused to listen to the ominous sound. "I'm firing up the engine," the helmsman finally said, going to work on his controls. When the engines were activated, the low moan in the hull was joined by a high-pitched whine. "The engines are straining."

"Doctor," came the voice of the engineer over the intercom. "We've got breaches in the hull. We're taking on water down here!"

"Stop the engines, Kirkland," Mirlleeta ordered the helmsman. Then, to everyone else, "Break out the sail!"

"We are now six-hundred-million metras from the anomaly," Pilot announced over the clamshell. On the forward portal, John saw the stars rotate until the white point of the anomaly was once again before them. Off their starboard, the Enterprise and the Nebari Star Runner were doing the same.

A round of tremors rattled the ship again, throwing John and the others into the nearest support.

"Spock," came Kirk's voice over Spock's still-active communicator. "We've been getting readings which seem to indicate that space is tearing apart. Can you confirm this?"

As Kirk was speaking, John noticed Spock executing several sharp bows and squeezing his eyes shut-like he was trying to repress a flinch.

"Spock?" Kirk prompted him when there was no answer to his question.

"What's the matter with him?" Aeryn asked as Manbey turned from her computer to the now-crouching Spock.

"Spock?!"

John rushed to the half-Vulcan's side. He and Manbey caught him and gently lowered him to the floor. "Kirk, this is Crichton. Spock's just collapsed. Beam him directly to your sickbay."

Rothel and Gaderath had both been finishing up their respective prey when the land beneath them shook. Does that mean the anomaly is back? Gaderath asked.

That is certainly a likely possibility, Rothel answered. As soon as they were both done, Rothel led the Pernese dragon into the air. They flew on a course straight for the Command Post. They were just spiraling toward a landing when Rothel suddenly felt his head beginning to ache. The pain steadily grew in intensity.

My head hurts, Gaderath moaned. Rothel glanced at the strange dragon and saw his eyes turning from green to orange.

Mine as well. We will be landing shortly. By the time they set down, the pain in his own head was intolerable. He stumbled on his hindlegs and smashed into the ground. "Rothel!" he heard Audwin cry in alarm. "Gaderath!"

Rothel opened his eyes, his pain blurring his vision, and lifted them to find Audwin standing right before him. They were at eye level. T'lion was rushing to his dragon's side.

"What's the matter?" the Human asked, resting a hand on the Sage's snout.

I am unsure, Audwin. I am in pain-my head-but unsure am I of the cause. Gaderath, too, is suffering pain in his head. What of the anomaly?

"We think it's changed. It's pull is a lot stronger now. And, we've lost contact with the boat."

I will investigate. Rothel began struggling to his feet.

"Are you sure you're well enough?"

Rothel's head exploded in pain just then, as if a lightning bolt delivered a massive shock. He clenched his eyes and felt uncontrollable rage take over. He shot his head up, turning a glare at the Human before him. I AM FINE!!! He shoved the Human away with his snout and roared

Audwin opened his eyes to find himself on his back. He was staring up at the turquoise sky. He identified the faces of Kiyoshi and T'lion bent over him. The governor kneeling beside him while the dragonrider stood behind him. "Audwin!" Kiyoshi exclaimed earnestly, who helped Audwin into a seated position. As he was pulled up, he coughed in an attempt to get his lungs working again. His ribcage protested with each breath he took.

"I never thought I'd see a dragon assault a Human," T'lion said, looking somewhat shaken. "Are you alright?"

"Feels like something's broken," Audwin gasped out. He was sitting up now and placed an arm around his chest. He looked from his fellow Humans to the Sage, who now faced-off the smaller Pernese bronze. Both looked as if they going to start fighting. Audwin noted the color of the Pernese dragon's eyes-red, indicating anger. "T'lion, tell Gaderath to back off. He's no match for a Draconian."

T'lion turned toward the challenging creatures. He focused his attention on his bronze. "He's not responding," a frustrated T'lion told them a moment later. "Gaderath, listen to me!"

Audwin, climbing to his feet now, turned to the governor. "Kiyoshi, we should summon a sedation team."

"They're on their way. They have already had to sedate the guardians and some of the children."

"Which children?" a puzzled Audwin asked.

Before the governor could answer, a pair of roars drew their attention back to the dragons. Rothel reared up, and Gaderath did likewise. "No, Gaddie! Withdraw!" T'lion turned a scowl to Audwin. "Can't you get yours to stop?"

Audwin shrugged in frustration. "I wish I could, but we're not telepathically linked. He won't hear me if I don't have his attention or if his mind isn't clear of hostility."

Rothel lunged at Gaderath, but the bronze winked away to reappear a second later behind the Draconian. The Sage stepped back, startled by the other's sudden disappearance. Audwin took advantage of his momentary confusion and ran out to where Gaderath had been a moment earlier. "Rothel!"

The Sage lowered himself back onto all fours. His eyes darted about, as if trying to figure things out. Audwin, he spoke in a strained thought-voice. I I am experiencing rage. Nearly uncontrollable rage. I am unsure why. At that point, the ground beneath them lurched, reminding them of the disturbance taking place less than a mile out to sea.

"Maybe it has something to do with that thing out there," Audwin thought aloud, turning toward the sea. As he turned, he saw T'lion joining them. He turned back to the Sage, who craned his head to Gaderath. The bronze came up beside him, warily keeping his distance. The Pernese dragon's eyes were a flaming red-orange. Rothel bowed his head, his eyelids drooped.

"Rothel is apologizing to Gaderath," T'lion told him, confirming his guess. "You think that anomaly is responsible for their sudden aggression?"

"It's a possibility," Audwin answered, meeting the other's eyes. "Their aggression came about shortly after the anomaly started going crazy." He searched his memory, remembering something Mark said yesterday about the White Space Realm. Close proximity caused madness in those of this Realm. Audwin informed T'lion of this.

"How come we're not trying to kill each other?" the bronze rider asked when Audwin was finished.

Audwin cocked an eyebrow and glanced toward the sea. "Don't speak too soon." He paused for a moment, his concentration on his inner being. He didn't feel any violent urges yet. After a minute of nothing, he turned back to T'lion. "Draconians and your dragons are telepathic. Maybe that made them more sensitive to the madness."

T'lion turned away as he considered this possibility. Audwin saw his eyes go wide with horror. "Dear Faranth " The bronze rider turned back to meet Audwin's eyes. "If this same anomaly is on Pern, and if it's behaving the same way there as it is here "

Audwin turned back toward the sea, understanding what the rider was saying. "Dear Faranth is right," he gasped, imagining the current scene unfolding on Pern right now. All those dragons and fire-lizards affected by the madness. And, the dragons all over Pern, if he remembered correctly, sense each other all.

And, Varthikes, Amity, and Remiphing would be in the center of it all.

Varthikes rested in the field below the anomaly-at least, below the sky where the anomaly should be-beside the Pernese pair. On the ground before him were the two aqua-probes from his Universe-one that was recovered by F'lar eleven cycles ago, the other which must have come through when he did this sunfall. He glanced at the blue dragon and his Human-Brath and D'mot-both well asleep. Then, he scanned the tree line around them. All was quiet; no sound or sight indicating the presence of the felines Lessa feared.

He lifted his eyes toward the starry sky. The night was well along. Draconians don't keep track of time the same way Humans do, but, from the positions of the moons toward the western horizon, it had been several of their hours since he arrived in this field with the Pernese pair. In all that time, there had been no indications of the anomaly's presence. What if the anomaly had appeared in the time it took for him to fly back-and-forth between here and the Weyr? And, what if that had been the last time? What if Remiphing was mistaken in her coordinates and this was not the the anomaly's location?

Well, he cannot determine those answers by just sitting here. Declaring himself well-enough rested, Varthikes came to all fours and, taking several steps from the Pernese pair, he spread his wings and leaped into flight.

He was spiraling up, rising above the surrounding forest canopy when he felt a tug on his back, specifically on his vertebral spines. For a brief moment, he thought it was just the wind. But, as he climbed higher, the tension moved to his left wing and sharply increased. He leveled out and turned his eyes toward the source of the pull. He was not expecting to see anything, as usual, so he was surprised when he did see a glowing circular area in the sky with him. It started out a faint red, brightened to orange, then yellow before the whole sky exploded in white. He clenched his eyes at the brightness, and at the pain that suddenly grabbed hold of his head.

The brightness faded. When Varthikes opened his eyes again to the anomaly, it was to find a white star-like formation now filling the area. No heat emanated from it, and there was no longer any pull. But, the aching in his head continued and increased ever more. He must inform the weyrleaders of this development. He looked down at the Pernese pair in the field below him. Both were looking up at him and the anomaly, the dragon with his eyes orange. D'mot looked like he was enduring pain in his head as well.

Are you alright? he asked Brath as he spiraled to join him.

My head hurts, Brath answered. Then, with orange eyes fixed on the white star above them, What is that?

I am unsure,
Varthikes replied. But, it seems that the anomaly for which I have been searching has changed. He set down before them just as the ground beneath began jolting. Varthikes and Brath both held out their wings for balance. D'mot, now standing beside his dragon, held out his arms. The trees around them seemed to stretch toward the white star. Varthikes turned his attention back to the Pernese dragon. Do the Weyrs know?

They do.
Brath's voice was beginning to sound strained. He turned away, clenching his eyelids.

Varthikes felt an enormous stab of pain deep in his brain. He wasn't sure if it was his or Brath's or D'mot's. He glanced at the Human and saw that he had a hand on his head. How are you managing?

Before the Human could answer, Brath interrupted with a fierce roar, bring Varthikes' attention back to him at once. The Pernese dragon's eyes were now as red as Draconian blood. Stay away from my rider, malformed queen!

Varthikes stepped back in surprise, but flinched at another painful strike in his brain. Uncontrollable rage swelled up inside. That this smaller creature should respond to him in such an indignant manner He turned to glare back at the creature. He crouched his forequarters and hissed. Malformed? Who are you to behave towards me with such insolence?

I am a proper dragon of Pern!

That's it! Varthikes was through with being insulted by this lower creature! With a challenging roar, he launched himself toward the other.

Despite his throbbing head, D'mot watched in horror the scene unfolding before him. Varthikes had just asked about his well-being when Brath suddenly threw the strange dragon a challenge.

"Brath! Brath!" His dragon showed no signs of listening. Now, the other dragon was crouching and returning the challenge with a fierce glare. Before he knew it, the two beasts were grappling each other. Brath swung at the larger Varthikes, but the latter blocked with his longer forearms and swung back, slashing across the former's throat.

"Brath!" D'mot cried as his dragon gave a gurgling roar. "Brath, no!"

Varthikes lowered back to all fours. He continued to glare down at the blue dragon, who was also back on all fours. He held his challenging posture even as the other coughed up his fluids. Then, without warning, the blue dragon launched skyward and winked out of existence. A horrific wail drew his attention to a Human standing nearby, his mouth agape and eyes wide with shock.

It was at that point that Varthikes became aware of his actions. He relaxed his stance and turned back to where Brath had been just a short time before. The pain that had been in his head now spread to his heart and squeezed it in a death grip. Cursed be the sands upon which I have been hatched, he thought as he dropped to his belly. It became difficult for him to breathe.

Then, Varthikes felt another burst of rage starting to consume him. He dug his talons into the earth. He shook his head violently and growled to himself, trying to get the rage under control. Why was he experiencing this? Why did Brath suddenly turn on him? In contemplating these questions, he lifted his eyes to the white star above them. Could that be responsible?

Varthikes lowered his eyes to D'mot. The man was on his knees, and his mind felt distant. We must investigate the Weyr, Varthikes told him.

No reaction, to which Varthikes felt an irrational surge of exasperation stirring up within himself. Listen to me, pathetic Human! The thought was away with a growl before he could control himself. When he realized his outburst, Varthikes shook his head again to clear it and regain control of himself. He turned back to the Human. D'mot had not reacted to his outburst, if he had heard it at all.

Varthikes sighed sympathetically. The man-his name would now be Dimot-had just lost a part of himself-literally. And, it was because of him. I am sorry, Dimot. He stepped toward the Human and gently took him into his right scaled hand. Then, he sprung into flight, keeping his distance from the white star as much as possible.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

XIV

D
OCTOR MIRLLEETA and her crew had just finished putting up the emergency mast forward of the command cabin. They were in the process of setting the sail when the Human engineer joined them on deck, soaked. "The lower decks are flooded, Doctor," he reported urgently. "We've got too many breaches in the hull! We can't seal them all!"

"Orask and I will go below and take over," one of their two Octavian crewmates spoke up.

"There's no time!" the engineer exclaimed, throwing the Octavian a scowl. "The breaches are growing and multiplying. But, that's not all." He turned his brown eyes and looked squarely into the Malcon's gray eyes. "The hull itself...it seems to be...warping, bending in on itself."

Before Mirlleeta could absorb the report, Kirkland summoned her to the starboard side. The Octavian and engineer followed her. As she walked, it seemed to require more effort to lift her legs, as if she was being pulled through the deck. She came up beside Kirkland and looked over the side. Her eyes went wide in horror. When the water level should have been several feet below, it was now within arm reach. And, their boat was sitting in a rapidly decaying orbit of a vortex.

"We're being pulled under," Kirkland told them.

Around them, the boat's hull continued to moan under pressure. Then, the deck they stood upon was suddenly sucked inward, forming a crease that spanned the entire width of the boat.

"We're being pulled into that anomaly!" Kirkland cried, trying to fight the panic that threatened to consume him. "What can we do?!"

Mirlleeta whirled about, seeing the faces of her multi-racial crew of a dozen. Humans, Malcons, Octavians all looking to her with fear in their eyes. The Octavians were not as concerned about the water, they being able to breathe water as well as air, but they were just as susceptible to the ever increasing pressure as their Human and Malcon crewmates.

The bend in the hull increased, the bow and stern closing in on them. The port and starboard walls were bending below sea level now. Greenish-blue salt water poured onto the deck. Kirkland and Mirlleeta backed away from each other as water filled the newly-formed canyon between them. Her crew was separated to either half of the boat by the water-filled canyon bisecting the vessel. But, they were only holding off the inevitable. Mirlleeta glanced at the stairwell several feet forward of the cabin. Water rushed onto the deck from there, further increasing the speed at which they were going under. If only they could get a message to the Command Post...

"There!" someone exclaimed.

Mirlleeta turned toward the voice to find a Malcon crewmate pointing skyward. She whirled to see a Draconian figure flying in from the shore. "Thank God," she heard Kirkland sigh with relief.

The Draconian hailed them with a bugle. She recognized the following voice as that of Sage Rothel's. Sounding a great deal strained, she thought. Doctor Mirlleeta, I fly...to your rescue. What is happening?

"The anomaly is pulling the boat under!" she answered. "Can you get us off?

What does it appear I am doing?! the Sage replied in an unexpected harsh tone. The Draconian looked as if he was beating with greater effort than usual. Perhaps the Draconian's tone was merely a reaction to the difficult situation. So, the doctor kept quiet while the Sage concentrated on setting down on the boat.

In the meantime, Mirlleeta tried to work out how the Draconian would carry all twelve of them. Two at most in each hand, three on his shoulders, perhaps four more holding onto his dorsal spines. That left three...

Rothel finally set down in the middle of the boat, attempting to distributing his weight evenly between the two halves. Mirlleeta rushed over to him. "How will you carry us all?" she asked.

The Sage took four onto his back, holding onto his dorsal spines. He took three more onto his shoulders. He would hold two in each hand. That left one remaining. As the boat bent inward again, reminding them of the situation, Mirlleeta sighed in resignation. "Very well, I will stay aboard..."

The next thing Mirlleeta knew, a pair of jaws coming down on her, blotting out the sunlight. Then, she was laying on a fleshy tongue, caged within two sets of deadly teeth, facing a throat that could probably swallow her whole.

Amity's heart pounded in her chest as she fled across the green expanse that lay before her, in search for cover. But, there was none. The grassland continued unbroken in every direction. No forest on the horizon. No bush or lone tree in sight. But, she kept running, nevertheless, if only to keep out of reach of the terror behind her.

She turned her head to find a full-grown Remiphing diving after her, forward claws extended to catch her. The shrieking dragon was getting closer. Amity turned forward and tried pumping her legs harder to run faster. But, the dragon continued to close. Before long, Amity saw talons closing around her

And was smacked awake by a sudden impact with the stone floor. "Ow!" she cried, rubbing her forward. Her head felt as if it would explode.

Stay off me, bipedal parasite! she heard next.

Amity pushed herself up and turned to the glaring dragon behind her. "Why'd you do that for?!"

For what reason were you on me?!

Amity shot to her feet and took a breath to spit back a response. But, before she could, the ground beneath them quavered. Then, other dragons all around them cried out, accompanied by the shriller calls of the smaller fire-lizards. Amity and Remiphing broke off their challenge and turned out toward the Weyr. Within moments, the night sky, eerily lit by the twin moons, was filled with hundreds of winged creatures, all flying at each other, wrestling in midair. Some even swooped at the horrified people below, emerging from their apartments. The weyrfolk cried out in alarm and rushed for cover from the terror taking place above them. The riders and fire-lizard owners tried unsuccessfully to calm their respective partners.

A wide-eyed Amity, momentarily forgetting her pounding head, turned back Remiphing, the Draconian now standing beside her. She, too, beheld the scene with eyes wide with horror. Both sensed the heart-tearing rage that filled the sky.

Amity. Remiphing spoke in a strained thought-voice. She held her head low as she toward the younger Human. I am sorry. She stepped closer and placed her head on Amity's shoulder, imitating a Human hug. Again, Amity felt her heart ache, this time from her friend's guilt. Tears swelled, blurring her vision. She extended her arms around Remiphing's neck. The Draconian continued, I feel so angry, but I understand not why.

"Me, too," Amity told her. "Maybe whatever's making them angry is making us angry, too." They held each other for what seemed like several hours. Their minds intertwined just as they were physically. All the while, dragons and fire-lizards screamed above them. Until a particularly loud cry drew their attention skyward. One of the smaller dragons, but still larger than Remiphing, dove toward them-much like Amity saw in her dream. "Remiphing!" she cried.

Behind me, Amity! Remiphing ordered, shoving the young Human back. Amity was once again picking herself off the stone ground when the Draconian, her rage building, rose to her hindlegs. Back off, beast! Remiphing commanded the green dragon and took in a deep breath. She exhaled an orange-yellow fireball that lit up the area.

Amity blinked, then cocked her eyebrows in surprise. The dragon had disappeared, leaving Remiphing's fireball to fly harmlessly until it fell back to the ground. "Where she go?!"

Remiphing whirled on her with a hiss that caused Amity to jump back with a start. How am I to know?! The Draconian, now back on all fours, looked away and gave her head a firm shake. When she spoke again, it was with the same restrained tone as before. Again I am sorry, Amity.

Again, Amity felt her friend's guilt ache in her heart. She started to take a step toward her, but stopped when a familiar roar sounded. Remiphing heard it, too, and both lifted their eyes toward the source, coming from the direction of the anomaly.

Jayge, with Aramina on his heels, ran out of his quarters at Paradise River Hold. Once outside, he lifted his eyes. The sky flashed white from an unknown source. Whatever it was, it was close. "By the egg..." he heard his wife gasp in horror. Before she could say anymore, however, the sky became full of fire-lizards, all flying about frantically. Then, the ground beneath them shook, throwing them toward the nearest support.

Varthikes, with Dimot in one hand, was just flying past Landing when he heard it. The raging cries of over a hundred dragons, accompanied by the shrilling voices of fire-lizards. A moment later, the sky further northeast over the Eastern Weyr was full of winged creatures of various sizes. They flew at each other or dove at the weyrfolk. Human screams rose from the structures on the ground.

The madness has reached here already, Varthikes realized grimly. By the shells of Rathren's egg... What of Remiphing and Amity? Varthikes pumped his wings harder, propelling him faster toward his destination. If these creatures have harmed Remiphing and Amity... Varthikes shook his head, severing that line of thought and controlled the rage boiling within him. He must not give in to the rage. Instead, he focused the energy in a tremendous roar. EVERYONE, STOP!!! Everyone, control yourselves! Control your anger!

The dragons paused in their assault on one another, their red eyes darting about in confusion. A tinge of yellow came to their eyes. They set down in the Weyr as they attempted to sort themselves out. The fire-lizards, however, continued their antics and, as Varthikes made his way to join his Pernese counterparts, a flight of them turned to charge him. He growled to himself at their foolishness. Had this been any other time, Varthikes would have been amused by their bravery. Now, however, with the anomaly provoking his rage, he was in no mood for this. He took a deep breath and let it out in a tremendous roar. In response, the fire-lizards disappeared in a wink.

Shaking his head again to repress his rage, Varthikes continued and joined the dragons in the courtyard. He set down amidst a throng of confused dragons and Humans. As he was lowering himself to his free foreleg, T'gellan stepped forward. "Varthikes, by the golden egg of Faranth, what is going on?" Then, he noticed Dimot in the Draconian's right hand, which he set upon the ground. "What happened?"

I regret that there was an accident, Varthikes explained, trying desperately to maintain his control. The anomaly it has changed.

"We got that much from Brath. But, what happened to our dragon?"

Varthikes narrowed his eyes at the Human. This mammalian bug dares to take a challenging tone at him? A growl escaped his throat. But, a reciprocating growl from a nearby dragon urged him back to his senses. A bronze stepped out from among the other dragons and came to stand beside T'gellan, eyes a fiery red. Again, Varthikes gave his head a fierce shake. The anomaly...now seems to invoke rage. It...turned Brath and I...against each other. Varthikes raised his eyes and scanned over the Pernese dragons gathered there. Just as it...has seemed to have turned...your dragons on each other.

Remiphing stepped through the crowd with Amity. Varthikes expressed his relief upon seeing that they were alright just as the ground lurched beneath them.

T'gellan instructed the woman beside him to find the healer. Then, he turned to Varthikes. "How do we counter this...anomaly?"

I am afraid that I do not know, Varthikes answered at length. But, we must not loose control of ourselves.

"Captain?" Mark bent and placed a hand Ivanova's shoulder, the captain still on her knees in pain. Commander Clayton was approaching from the opposite side when, without warning, Ivanova swung her arm back, catching Mark in the jaw.

"Get the hell off me!" she yelled as Mark fell back to the deck. When he looked up again, he found the captain turning on her executive. Ivanova swung at him, but Clayton caught her arm.

Clayton pushed toward the door leading to the corridor. He pointed out two officers at random. "Take the captain to the infirmary. Knock her out if you have to."

"Get off me! Get off me!" Ivanova's screams diminished as the two officers took her from the command deck.

Meanwhile, Clayton turned toward Mark and extended an arm to help him up. "Sorry about that, Admiral. I don't know what came over her."

Mark accepted the hand and hauled himself to his feet. "I don't think it's her." He turned toward the white star occupying the space ahead of them. "It's that Portal. The Realm it leads to." Even as he spoke, he felt rage building up within him, threatening to explode. "It causes...causes madness." He couldn't stop himself from growling out the last word.

"You don't mean we'll start acting like...like the captain did a moment ago... Do you?"

"Correct, Commander!" Mark roared before he could stop himself, startling the other man. He lowered his eyes to the deck and shook his head shamefully. "Correct, Commander," he said again in a calmer tone.

"Commander, I...I think I'm detecting...ships emerging from the Portal," an officer reported.

"What do you mean, you think, Lieutenant?" Clayton snapped, then mirrored the gesture Mark performed a moment ago.

"There's a lot of interference out there," the officer was already answering. Apparently, he hadn't noticed or chose to ignore the commander's outburst. "The scanners are having a hard time locking on."

"Better go to battle alert," Mark advised. "Chances are, it's the aliens of the other Realm commencing their invasion."
Clayton nodded his agreement and issued the order.

Kirk beheld Spock, his half-Vulcan lying unconscious on the biobed. Three chains, each overlain with leather, restrained him there against his superior Vulcan strength. Doctor Leonard McCoy stood on the other side of the bed, running a scanner over Spock's head. "How is he, Bones?"

McCoy switched off the scanner and looked up at Kirk. "When he beamed in, he immediately lashed out at us. He was wild. Almost as if he had been possessed by a Denevan Neural Parasite." Kirk recalled the incident at Deneva, where neural parasites had driven an entire colony to insanity. The doctor continued, "I had to use three times the amount of sedative than I'd normally use on him. He's stable, for the moment, Jim, but I can't figure out what's wrong with him."

"I just spoke with Governor Takamura on Draconia. The telepathic dragons around the colony have also become hostile." Kirk stepped closer to the bed. "It started just after the sudden increased activity from the nearby anomalies. They think the anomalies are causing nearly uncontrollable aggression in those who possess telepathy."

"Well, Spock certainly fits that category. And, if that's true, I'd recommend we stay as far as we can from this anomaly."
Before Kirk had a chance to respond, the ship lurched, throwing Kirk and McCoy into grabbing Spock's bed for support. When the shaking didn't stop, Kirk threw himself toward the nearest intercom. "Bridge, report."

"The anomaly's gravitational pull has increased, Captain," Sulu answered.

"Reverse, full impulse. I'm on my way." Kirk switched off the intercom and left sickbay for the bridge.

More to come...