Map of UFP

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Map of UFP

Post by Nickswitz »

Idk how accurate this is, but it's pretty cool.
You'll probably have to open it to see the whole thing, It's huge.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Map of UFP

Post by Lazar »

Ah, that's from the Star Trek Atlas or whatever it's called. I think there's a whole series of maps.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I've only ever seen this one, but I think it's pretty cool that someone took the time to do this. They must have been a huge nerd too, but whats wrong about that, lol
The world ended

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Here's a 3-D rendition of what I believe to be the same map I posted before just without all the planets.

And here is the Klingon Empire

The world ended

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This is from the Star Trek Maps book. I actually knew one of the authors, Timo Saloniemi. He was a guy on a star Trek newsgroup I used to frequent, and when he heard about the maps book project he emailed the guy doing it and got so into the dialogue with him that he ended up being listed in the book as a contributing author. Very cool.

Any attempt to make a comprehensive set of maps like this that sticks to canon is doomed to failure. There's just too many contradictory and downright silly things in Trek history for it to work. The Maps book is certainly an impressive piece of work, but almost more than any other reference book it needs to be kept in mind that it's non canon, and at the end of the day just a bit of a lark.

One thing they have very clearly wrong is Voyager's course. We saw that plotted on the astrometrics screen, and they begin on the opposite side of the galaxy - in the 12 o'clock position, not the 1 or 2 o'clock position shown here. The course taken is also not close to a straight line, there's a huge detour to miss the galactic core.

The book does make reference to "subspace shortcuts" to explain nits like the NX getting to the Klingon homeworld in a matter of days, too. How believable that is, is up to the individual opinion.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

My all time favorite Trek reference book, I have to say. Not necessarily because I hold it as the be-all/end-all for mapping accuracy, but because I spent literally dozens of hours since purchasing it looking at it with a sense of wonder. It's wonderful becuase it puts everything into a nice perspective, almost makes it seem "real." Hell, even in my own writings, I've used it as a reference bit. Truly wonderful job.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its not perfect but then again, nothing in trek is. Like DITL, it's a guess. But, atleast they put the effort into it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I find it a little odd that the UFP has so much space on the other side of the Klingon Empire. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, there is the whole "Space isn't 2D" theory on who owns what. A lot like the 40k Galaxy map.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The book does make reference to "subspace shortcuts" to explain nits like the NX getting to the Klingon homeworld in a matter of days, too. How believable that is, is up to the individual opinion.
It's more believable than the Klingon homeworld being just outside the Oort cloud.. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You mean its not planet X???? :cry:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Why they placed the Vodrey Nebula in the Klingon map where it was, sorta puzzles me. It was said to be near the Klingon/UFP border and that sure doesn't seem too near that border!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

This is really cool. Props to the authors.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

http://www.ucip.org/science/newmaps/

Here's a better collection of maps from that book.

I don't understand why the Fed even has space on the other side of the Klingon Empire. There has to be a reason it was done, but it doesn't make sense to me.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They went "over" the Klingons heads it seems. :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.