Ship of the Week: Galactica-type Battlestar

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ship of the Week: Galactica-type Battlestar

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Since Battlestar Galactica ended two weeks ago, it seemed only right to do a ship of the week about it. Tell me, what do you think about the 1,400+ meter battleship/carrier? To me, it seemed extremely durable, even though it was built substandard. I mean damn, it took a hell of a lot of punishment but just kept coming.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week: Galactica-type Battlestar

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Over 50 years old and built to sub-par standards, yet it still kicked ass and took names for four years before finaly going down. Truly an awesome ship, and one which has earned a place in my list of favourite ships.

"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

With ships as good as Battlestars was it any surprise the Cylon's used the sneak tactics they did rather face the fleet. Then again they did fight the Colonials to a standstill in the war 40 years ago or have I missed something in those flashbacks?

I'm not sure i like the idea of the retractable hanger bays idea, over complicating the system I think.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

colmquinn wrote:With ships as good as Battlestars was it any surprise the Cylon's used the sneak tactics they did rather face the fleet. Then again they did fight the Colonials to a standstill in the war 40 years ago or have I missed something in those flashbacks?
I think the Cylons buggered off because the tide was turning but it was never explained very well.
I'm not sure i like the idea of the retractable hanger bays idea, over complicating the system I think.
Probably just a limitation of their jump drive (might need a smaller profile), the Mercury class didn't have that limitation.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Probably just a limitation of their jump drive (might need a smaller profile), the Mercury class didn't have that limitation.
Good point, I didn't notice/ remember from the series Pegasus didn't have to do that.
(thanks to Wiki I now know Pegasus was a Mercury Class :oops: )
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The cylons agreed to a ceasefire in the original war when the Final Five offered to show them Resurrection technology if they'd stop the war.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:The cylons agreed to a ceasefire in the original war when the Final Five offered to show them Ressurection technology if they'd stop the war.
Is that in Razor?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No, it was in one of the exposition-fests in the last handful of episodes.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

No Exit, which was the only real pure-exposition episode in the final season. Which made sense - they needed a lot of exposition to answer all the questions they'd been asking, so they shoved it all into one episode to get it over and done with without sacrificing tension in the other episodes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I love the Battlestars. Tough, long lasting and mean as hell when they get into a fight!
With ships as good as Battlestars was it any surprise the Cylon's used the sneak tactics they did rather face the fleet. Then again they did fight the Colonials to a standstill in the war 40 years ago or have I missed something in those flashbacks?
Not to mention that the Colonials had 120+ of them. Since Battlestars seem to take 3 to 1 odds. The Cylons would need close to 400 Baseships if they want anything over a stalemate.
Maybe but I liked it. The idea that the flight deck could be pulled in for protection. The fighters launch out armored side ports while the main deck could remain in use even during battle. Think about how helpful a protected flight deck would have been during WW2.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Since Battlestars seem to take 3 to 1 odds. The Cylons would need close to 400 Baseships if they want anything over a stalemate.
Eh, they're tougher than basestars, but not that tough. Pegasus took on three basestars in "the Captain's Hand", and while she was just about able to hold them off, there was never going to be any question of her winning the battle - only surviving long enough to get FTL back up and running. Galactica expected to be able to hold off two ships in Exodus II, but no more, and four would have been enough to destroy her without suffering severe loss if Pegasus hadn't intervened.
Think about how helpful a protected flight deck would have been during WW2.
You mean, for example, a 3" armoured flight deck and 4.5" box protection around the hangar sufficient to ward off 500 lb armour piercing bombs or 6" gunfire, and enough that kamikaze hits could be shrugged off and the ship back in action within an hour of being hit? :wink:

Also, this belongs in the BSG forum. Moved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Eh, they're tougher than basestars, but not that tough. Pegasus took on three basestars in "the Captain's Hand", and while she was just about able to hold them off, there was never going to be any question of her winning the battle - only surviving long enough to get FTL back up and running. Galactica expected to be able to hold off two ships in Exodus II, but no more, and four would have been enough to destroy her without suffering severe loss if Pegasus hadn't intervened.
Also remember that the Battlestars were...
Galactica being subpar and half scraped when the war started.
Pegasus was under refit and missing half her crew.

A fully updated and fitted Battlestar should have been at least twice as able as either of the above ships. Though thats in theory, it still seems to fit.
You mean, for example, a 3" armoured flight deck and 4.5" box protection around the hangar sufficient to ward off 500 lb armour piercing bombs or 6" gunfire, and enough that kamikaze hits could be shrugged off and the ship back in action within an hour of being hit? :wink:
Take your pick, 3" armor or 10m of armor? A flight deck open to attack by said kamikaze or an inclosed flight deck which would only shake a little if a kamikaze hit the hull? Try to figure which is a better call.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Galactica being subpar and half scraped when the war started.
She was certainly one of the weaker ships, but she's nonetheless a good example of what the average battlestar (rather than the top-of-the-line model such as Pegasus) should be capable of. I'm not sure what you mean by "half scraped" - she'd been destored, but that was it.
Pegasus was under refit and missing half her crew.
She rebuilt her crew from her civilian fleet and Galactica, and was fully operational by the time of the said battle. I don't recall any statement on the lines of a fully operational Mercury class ship being able to waltz through three basestars.
Take your pick, 3" armor or 10m of armor? A flight deck open to attack by said kamikaze or an inclosed flight deck which would only shake a little if a kamikaze hit the hull? Try to figure which is a better call.
On a WW2 ship? 3" deck and and an open flight deck. So much extra armour and enclosing everything would make the ship a sitting duck, incapable of the strategic mobility required, and would have far too small an air group.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

She was certainly one of the weaker ships, but she's nonetheless a good example of what the average battlestar (rather than the top-of-the-line model such as Pegasus) should be capable of. I'm not sure what you mean by "half scraped" - she'd been destored, but that was it.
Galactica was being turned into a museum ship and had one launch bay turned into a tour room and much of her weapons/ammo removed.
She rebuilt her crew from her civilian fleet and Galactica, and was fully operational by the time of the said battle. I don't recall any statement on the lines of a fully operational Mercury class ship being able to waltz through three basestars.
I didn't say waltz through three Baseships, I said to be equal they'd need three Baseships.
On a WW2 ship? 3" deck and and an open flight deck. So much extra armour and enclosing everything would make the ship a sitting duck, incapable of the strategic mobility required, and would have far too small an air group.
Oh damn, I meant as in a starship would you want an open flight deck or a covered one? That was my fault sorry.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Galactica was being turned into a museum ship and had one launch bay turned into a tour room and much of her weapons/ammo removed.
The same is true of HMS Belfast or the USS Missouri. They've still got all their armour and guns.
I didn't say waltz through three Baseships, I said to be equal they'd need three Baseships.
Even worse - the Pegasus is the best the Colonial fleet has to offer, and if even she can only hold off three basestars (which I agree she could) then outnumbering the entire fleet by more than three-to-one as you suggest would give the Cylons a decisive advantage. Certainly they'd need a larger fleet than the Colonies to go toe-to-toe with them, but only 250-300 odd, given the observed abilities of their respective ships.
Oh damn, I meant as in a starship would you want an open flight deck or a covered one? That was my fault sorry.
Yeh, I was referring to your comment about armoured flight decks on WW2 carriers. Haven't you heard of the Illustrious class? :wink: